Stiff gear change by Das68

Das68
Hi all, I am having problems with my gear selection but only when the car is warm after about 20 mins of driving, there is no grinding or crunching just stuff sort of notchy, the clutch and slave are LUK and new 7 months ago, the master is a metal tazu one fitted at the same time, I have topped up my gear box oil and was thinking of topping up the master. Does anyone have any ideas to why this only happens when the car is hot ? Thanks in advance. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted 19 May 2014, 22:15 #1 

Duncan
Did you use the official Rover gearbox oil? I used a Castrol one which was supposed to be equivalent but this was awful when cold. I'm talking about the oil used after the clutch change, rather than just the top-up.

Posted 20 May 2014, 17:01 #2 

Das68
Hi Duncan I used Lucas synthetic. I over heated the clutch a month or so ago when the selector cables jumped off and I has to drive it in the gear I was stuck in from a standstill so do you think I have warped the clutch plate and that's why it happens when it's hot

Posted 21 May 2014, 19:04 #3 

Duncan
If I'm honest I'd say its the gearbox oil. They are VERY fussy for some reason. As I said, I used a supposedly good oil, but mine was notchy though when cold. I would have thought if there was a clutch plate problem it would be snatching and juddering all the time.

Posted 21 May 2014, 19:45 #4 

Das68
I do have judder but think it's the lower mount, the gear change is fine until the engine gets warm, what is the official rover oil to use then?

Posted 21 May 2014, 20:46 #5 

Duncan
It should be Texaco MTF94 which is available from Rimmerbros as a Landrover part.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-STC9157

Posted 22 May 2014, 15:55 #6 

Das68
Cheers Duncan

Posted 22 May 2014, 18:17 #7