Spitfire pilot - the wife's father. by Bernard

Bernard
Not having researched the subject for some years, I spent a few hours with google and came up with this fantastic model built by a Polish model maker of my wife's father's plane. There is also a short write up of his flying career.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/G ... ki/00.shtm

He diplomatically omits to say that he was shot down and killed by so called 'friendly fire'.

Janina, my wife, was only about 13 months old at the time and was subsequently adopted by English parents who kept her ignorant of her origins for decades, even though they had known her real parents well.

Consequently she has almost no memorabilia of him but does have a shoulder flash and the dust jacket from the first edition of the book 'Squadron 303' which shows him in profile.

She is very proud of him.

Apologies to those who have seen the second image already but I have only just found the first one.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 11:02 #1 

zojosc
Rightly so, she should be proud of him. Sad that she was kept in the dark of her origins for so long but I am glad that she has just a little record of him.
Thankyou for sharing this personal thing.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 11:38 #2 

Duncan
I agree she should be proud.

I find it's very hard to trace information sometimes. My wifes dad's half brother was also in the RAF (also Polish), but the records aren't easily available. I've found one trace with the right name, but can't get any service records, as we are not direct, only indirectly related.

Her Mother and Father both have stories to tell, but don't really like talking about it so you can only get a bit at a time.

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 12:14 #3 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:both have stories to tell, but don't really like talking about it

That's entirely understandable, considering what they probably went through. :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 13:18 #4 

PaulT
Always thought that what ever side the airmen were pretty brave and especially bomber crew.

They were in a fight each day - directly with the enemy. Fighter pilots weaving their deadly dance while bombers flew at incredibly slow speeds making easy targets.

And the average number of sorties before being shot down very few.

And in the mess after a mission waiting in the folorn hope that others would come back.

Whilst those in the services do see action but they did join something that could see them being shot at etc. there has not been a need for conscription for a very long time so we can be thankful for that.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 14:52 #5 

Bermudan 75
Bernard wrote:Not having researched the subject for some years, I spent a few hours with google and came up with this fantastic model built by a Polish model maker of my wife's father's plane. There is also a short write up of his flying career.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/G ... ki/00.shtm

He diplomatically omits to say that he was shot down and killed by so called 'friendly fire'.

Janina, my wife, was only about 13 months old at the time and was subsequently adopted by English parents who kept her ignorant of her origins for decades, even though they had known her real parents well.

Consequently she has almost no memorabilia of him but does have a shoulder flash and the dust jacket from the first edition of the book 'Squadron 303' which shows him in profile.

She is very proud of him.

Apologies to those who have seen the second image already but I have only just found the first one.

Hi Bernard,

Have you tried the public records office in London? I went down there some yeras ago and found the flying log book for my mate's wife's father who flew Stirling bombers in WW2. Near Kew I seem to remember.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 16 Jul 2010, 16:42 #6 

geesmith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XleyGF16lM

Lest we should forget. "repeat please"

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 18:36 #7 

Bernard
Some interesting stuff also linked from there. Thanks for that, I had not found it before.

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 20:47 #8 

Trebor
proud doesnt even cover it, when we go out to work we are pretty sure of coming back, nobody can begin to understand what was going through these guys minds when they took off for battle, even if returning safely, chances are they had killed someone else, so what emotions to handle, heroes everyone one of them and normally treated badly by whatever government when they have done their bit.
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 21:39 #9 

Bernard
The Poles were treated in a disgusting way by the Atlee government who were sucking up to the Soviets, when they were refused a part in the victory parade. Shameful behaviour on our part in my opinion.

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 22:01 #10 

Trebor
didnt know that Bernard but what do you expect from politicians, although dont think they would get away with that these days
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 22:33 #11 

Last edited by Trebor on 07 Dec 2011, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

geesmith
Quite a few pics of 303 Squadron planes and crew among the various videos. There's even the 303 Squadron song on one of them. Touching stuff.

The Poles still get the rough end of the stick. Quite a few work in local factories and get accused of "nicking our jobs". Never a mention of the fact that they work hard all shift long and turn out an excellent standard of work, always with good humour.

"Right lads, we're working to rule" - "Please repeat"...

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 23:56 #12 

Ragman
Bernard wrote:The Poles were treated in a disgusting way by the Atlee government who were sucking up to the Soviets, when they were refused a part in the victory parade. Shameful behaviour on our part in my opinion.

This country is very quick to have a pop at others for their behaviour - amazing how quickly one's history is forgotten

Then again I'm from Irish stock and we've long memories

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 00:23 #13