Spirit of the nano-meeters by raistlin

raistlin
I don't want to put a damper on the nano-meet thread. Apparently the meet today was quite damp enough :) so please bear with me while I say thank you to quite possibly the most generous spirited group of people I have ever had the good luck to be associated with, whether we've met or whether we haven't.

I was going to go to the nano-meet, at least for a while, today to take my mind off things to do with my Father's rapidly approaching funeral.

Unfortunately, during the last few days, at work and at Court, the only thing I found that I couldn't cope with was the sympathy and good wishes of friends and colleagues. Knowing many of the nano-meeters, I thought it best not to attend as the weather was miserable enough anyway ;)

I think I made the right decision, because Rob has told me a couple of hours ago that a collection was taken up for me to use in memory of my Father.

Now, I always knew that the nano-meeters were an altruistic bunch but I have to say that for once in my life I was lost for words and the cynicism, which is my normal wont, vanished.

I am truly stunned by the generosity of spirit and, while the words seem inadequate, would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

I have just phoned Mother to tell her the news and she asks me to pass on her heartfelt thanks as well.

I suppose it must take a certain type of person to attend a meet for no other reason than to work on other people's cars and this has been a confirmation and an affirmation of all that the nano-meet stands for.

Mother has insisted upon family flowers only and has arranged for a collection for Altzheimer's Association so I will add your collection to that.

Some of you will be aware that my Father, whilst in the later stages of Altzheimer's, actually died of cancer. Mother's logic for the choice of charity is that, while Cancer Research is a wonderful thing to make a donation towards, Altzheimer's Association is still seen as one of the 'Cinderella' charities and deserves to have it's profile raised for the research they are funding into this most heart breaking of conditions.

Thank you all. My friends.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 18:21 #1 

Duncan
Paul.

I guess in the circumstances, it's far from easy for any of us to know what to say or do, that's why there's no reply to your post.

I agree the spirit of the meets is alive and well, and while we've had some turn up to one and never be seen again, the majority get stuck in and do things, even if it's only holding the torch or passing the screwdriver.

But don't forget, you are one of us too, and were missed today. You were in our thoughts, and mentioned more than once.

Looking forward to happier times.....

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 19:21 #2 

Zeb
Ditto.... :thumbsup:

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 19:28 #3 

raistlin
Duncan wrote: it's far from easy for any of us to know what to say or do, that's why there's no reply to your post.

Didn't really need an answer Duncan. It was just something I had to say :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 19:32 #4 

takestock
Set of soppy Gits ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 19:36 #5 

suzublu
soppy or sopping?

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 19:38 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
takestock wrote:Set of soppy Gits ;)

In the words of you know who............... innit. :)

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 19:46 #7