Solar trickle chargers by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
Does anybody use a solar trickle charge on our cars please?

Are they any use? Where do you wire them in?

Any views please?

With Winter rapidly approaching and a relatively short (8.5 miles) drive to and from work, I'm wondering whether this might be the device to assist in making up for the electrical deficit caused by early morning and evening Winter driving?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 22 Oct 2012, 18:13 #1 

Trebor
sorry Paul no experience personally so a useless reply but i too am interested in finding out more as the FBH (Fuel burning heater.) will be brought into play shortly, then theres the heater and heated screen plus heated seats to consider
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 22 Oct 2012, 19:18 #2 

Duncan
I don't have one on the car, but do use one on the 'van. It keeps the battery topped up from the drain of the alarm and tracker, no problem.

The low power (1-2W) probably aren't worth the bother as they will only just keep up with the quiescent drain, the one for the van is 18W and came with a charge controller, otherwise on a sunny day they can overcharge the battery and do just as much damage. That one gives some serious charge though, and keeps the battery nicely full.

Posted 22 Oct 2012, 19:24 #3 

ceedy
I've used a cheepy one for ages to keep my lil Fiat X19 topped up , through months of non use .. and also to prop up my ZT during winter months ( did find the original MGR battery had a dicky Cell) but it got me through 3 winters til I replaced the battery .
The linky is a more expensive Maplins one , but I got one exactly the same for about £9.99 .
http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12v-1.5w-battery-trickle-charger-98358

just popped on the dashboard and plugged in the ciggy socket
Still in the boot waiting !

Quite a few on the BAY .. .Ahemm cough!! ;) around a tenner or less !

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 23 Oct 2012, 08:39 #4 

raistlin
Thanks Chris :)

I think probably a little more power output needed though.

Nice to hear that you can just plug it into the cigar lighter socket though. I was thinking of fixing one to the parcel shelf and running the wiring straight through.
Paul

Posted 28 Oct 2012, 15:35 #5 

Bernard
I think that you will find that the cigar lighter socket disconnects after a time, maybe 16 minutes but probably dependant on the year of the car. Our 75 disconnects much quicker than that but the later MG is around 16 minutes.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Oct 2012, 19:13 #6 

ceedy
My socket doesn't switch off
( late 2003 CDTI auto) ?

I've a little Ciggy/USB socket thingy with a led plugged. and its always on?
Even when I leave the car all day its always still illumminated when I jump back in ?

Actually just checked it again b4 committing myself ;) , its still on . Last time we used the car was last night seeing JB in Skyfall.

:gmc:

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 28 Oct 2012, 19:22 #7 

Bernard
It would appear that a survey is called for. :gmc:

Late '03 75 - around 30 seconds
Mid '04 ZT - around 16 minutes. I got caught by this as I had assumed it was going to stay on.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Oct 2012, 19:27 #8 

raistlin
I'll probably hard wire it in anyway chaps :lol:
Paul

Posted 28 Oct 2012, 20:16 #9 

Duncan
By way of a survey. 99 75, switches off with the ignition. 04 75 stays on all the time.

Posted 28 Oct 2012, 21:20 #10 

Borg Warner
As I'll be laying the ZT 'till early next year have just invested in a couple of solar chargers; the other's for the Landy. I've checked the ZT's ciggy socket and after 2hrs it's still on. 06 plate 1.8T.

Would a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session alter the times - one way or the other?

Posted 21 Nov 2012, 18:34 #11 

Duncan
No a T4 won't change the time as the lighter is connected to the battery feed. On eralier cars the cigar lighter is switched with the ignition switch. Later cars are permanently fed.

Posted 21 Nov 2012, 18:46 #12 

Borg Warner
Well cars have been laid up since beginning of December and are likely to remain that way until middle of Feb at the earliest. I check them both regularly and the ZT has lost the feed to (from) the ciggy lighter. Dropped the leads straight onto the battery and all is now well. Guessing it's the fuse that's gone, it fires up straight away so the charger is still doing its stuff. Haynes says the fuse in in the passenger footwell - great can't get down to check - is it likely to just be that or something more serious?

Posted 08 Jan 2013, 11:33 #13 

Duncan
Was it there at all? Early cars it was ignition switched, not sure when it changed, only that my 2000 its switched, 2004 is permanent.

Posted 08 Jan 2013, 20:39 #14 

Borg Warner
It was Duncan, put the ciggy lighter back in and no joy.

However I will double check tomorrow with ignition on as I'm thinking?????

Cheers.

Posted 08 Jan 2013, 23:53 #15 

Borg Warner
Well it's now back????

Ciggy lighter got hot very quickly without the ignition being on. I did fire it up yesterday so whether that has "re-booted" it I don't know.

Nearly forgot it's an 06 plater. Dunno but will leave it direct to battery as it seems to be working very well, turned over as if it was being used on a daily basis yesterday, quite surprised. Landy is also on a trickle charge and that was just the same today as well. Just for interest they are both 4w output.

Cheers

Gary M

Posted 09 Jan 2013, 13:05 #16 

Duncan
No, then it's connected directly via a fuse, so no reboot. It could be a loose connection.

Posted 09 Jan 2013, 19:53 #17 

baconbuttyman
Paul, I bought one of these for a mate who owned a boat, evry time he went to start his boat the battery was dead, so i got him a solar charger and it worked well, never had a flat battery until the charger broke a couple of years later, so yes they are good.
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 10 Jan 2013, 16:26 #18 

Arctic
(Trader)
All you need once you have got one is the red ball in the sky to shine or if you have a garage use a standard trickle charger each night while you :sleep: Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 13 Jan 2013, 01:57 #19