Site navigation question by Dave

Dave
(sorry if asked before, but can't see this anywhere)

When I search in New Posts, and then go back to the search using Back button after reading a post, it always goes back to the top. No problem when the number of new posts are small, but a long list means having to scroll down again to find where I'd got to

Any way this can be sorted (or is it just me?!)

NB: I think this happens any time I go back to a forum index etc...

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 16:31 #1 

takestock
The listing of posts needs sorting, when looking at new posts there is no way I can tell if i have posted on a thread, most annoying. Secondly If I have posted on a thread then it isn't a new thread to me anymore and should dissapear.

Both of these problems are spoiling my enjoyment, surely we can do the something about it ?

Before we altered the format of the site there was a small dot that indicated if we had posted on a thread. We need that back PLEASE.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 16:48 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
takestock wrote:The listing of posts needs sorting, when looking at new posts there is no way I can tell if i have posted on a thread, most annoying. Secondly If I have posted on a thread then it isn't a new thread to me anymore and should dissapear.

Both of these problems are spoiling my enjoyment, surely we can do the something about it ?

Before we altered the format of the site there was a small dot that indicated if we had posted on a thread. We need that back PLEASE.

Never noticed stars and dots before. : :panic: We'll take a look at it. I don't do programming so I'm not making a promise I can't keep. As for having made a post and it still appears as new post to you, I have a feeling that can't be altered but again we'll have a butchers at it.

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:05 #3 

Dave
What about the going back to the last page at the same point?!

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:22 #4 

Bernard
Dave wrote:What about the going back to the last page at the same point?!

Firefox returns to same point OK. :confused:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:28 #5 

Jürgen
Dave wrote:What about the going back to the last page at the same point?!

The back button of the browser works fine for me. :confused:

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:29 #6 

Bernard
takestock wrote:

It's good brain training for us elderly folks, Dave. :scared:

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:30 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
takestock wrote:The listing of posts needs sorting, when looking at new posts there is no way I can tell if i have posted on a thread, most annoying. Secondly If I have posted on a thread then it isn't a new thread to me anymore and should dissapear.

The dot is returned. Not bad for someone that has not a clue. :) :)

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:38 #8 

takestock
Dave wrote:(sorry if asked before, but can't see this anywhere)

When I search in New Posts, and then go back to the search using Back button after reading a post, it always goes back to the top. No problem when the number of new posts are small, but a long list means having to scroll down again to find where I'd got to

Any way this can be sorted (or is it just me?!)

NB: I think this happens any time I go back to a forum index etc...

Thanks Mick, now about this original post i hajacked :em: sorry Dave :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:42 #9 

Dave
LOL! No worries - Daves can hijack Daves at any time!

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 17:50 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Dave wrote:LOL! No worries - Daves can hijack Daves at any time!

It'll require Simon having a butchers at this one, I have flagged it up in the admin forum so should get some attention next time we mess with the board functions.
We've all had a bit of a break from doing stuff this last few days as it was pretty full on for a few weeks. Back on track now ................ maybe. :angry:

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 18:05 #11 

Bernard
Mick wrote:

I got my dot back, briefly, after a reset of cache. But it's gone again. :panic:

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 18:36 #12 

takestock
I Still got my dot mr B :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 21:56 #13 

Bernard
takestock wrote:I Still got my dot mr B :)

Something very odd going on here. All the already read posts that I have posted on have the dot but this one was not showing again until I reset the cache once more. :?

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 22:15 #14 

tammyboy
Mick wrote:

Thats great asked about the dot on the 26 of june at 11.50pm in the welcome to the new look thread must have been overlooked ! :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 00:11 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
tammyboy wrote:
Mick wrote:

Thats great asked about the dot on the 26 of june at 11.50pm in the welcome to the new look thread must have been overlooked ! :thumbsup:

Sorry about that, now things have settled down a bit we are going back over to do lists to make sure we haven't missed anything else. I'm sure there will be something. :)

Posted 14 Jul 2010, 08:56 #16 

SpongeBob

Just a quick update on this folks. ;)

New posts = any topics since you've last logged in. Be it unread, read, or topics you've posted in - they are all classed as "new".

Unread posts = any topics that contain posts you haven't read or responded to. (Same as vBulletin's New Posts feature).

Unanswered posts = any topics with zero replies

Active topics = topics which have seen people respond to within the last six months.

Hope that helps :)

Also, I'd like to introduce a new feature :o We're modifying the 'black dot' and making it a flag pole! :D This will make seeing which topics you've posted in much clearer. This will be rolled out later tonight but for now here's a quick preview of what the boards will look like under the new style. Note that the black dots have gone per se but the flags which replace them have moved to the right-hand edge of the list where they are more prominent.

Screen shot 2010-07-22 at 18.21.44.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 17:36 #17