Silicone or not? by zojosc

zojosc
Bloody boot full of rainwater today. Seems to be coming in through the dreaded rear light gasket.Remembering posts ont other side some say silicone it but what happens if it needs to come of again? Advise needed as to whether I should just make the gasket good and use vasaline.
Cheers chaps
Andy
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 10:21 #1 

Bermudan 75
James UK has a rather novel cure for this, 'drill hole in boot floor to let water out, iniit'

Am thinking of using silicone on my Tourer, suppose if any thing has to be removed that has been siliconed just makes removal a little more arkward. But if the silicone stops the leak....

Mike

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 10:42 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I used a smear of silicone on my offside rear lamp gasket some 6 years ago. I have had no recurrence of water ingress since. There is a slight danger of the silicone damaging the paint but I have seen no sign of it. The gasket appeared to have been installed badly in the first place as it had parted at the join and was misaligned. A spot of silicone to make the join and a very light smear of sealant either side of the join and installed before it had cured.
I believe Colin (Deux Gazoles) uses another proprietary sealant, can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 11:03 #3 

Duncan
There's a product called sikaflex that is used on car bodies, so it's probably that you are thinking of.

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 13:16 #4 

Unclefista
Be careful with Sikaflex, any bond made with it is permanent.
The only way to separate 2 parts is to destroy at least one part..

I built a car using it, rivets and welds come apart, sikaflex doesn't :)

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice-weasels come...

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 20:22 #5 

shy talk
If you want to use silicone sealant, the one to use is low modulus,there are three "strengths".
Modulus refers to the "shear" strengths, ie low modulus will come apart fairly easily, mid modulus is more difficult to take apart, high modulus will require an enormous amount of strength to part it,or you may need to cut it in order to part it. All three types of silicne sealant will stop the ingress of water. I hope you find this helpfull. shy talk

Posted 04 Nov 2011, 16:47 #6 

Duncan
Modulus refers to the "shear" strengths,

One of those things I had always wondered, but never taken the time to find out.

Thanks very much. You learn something new on hear every day.

Posted 06 Nov 2011, 17:44 #7 

zojosc
Thanks for the replies guys.
The gasket had split at the joint, so as Mick said I repaired the join with silicone and put a little on gasket by the repair. Seems to have done the trick without welding the thing to the bodywork.
Thanks again
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 07 Nov 2011, 10:01 #8