Self Testing Power VIS Motor by takestock

takestock
Yup, you read it right, Now fitted the prototype to my car to see how it stands up to normal life. :D :D :D :D

Here you can see a standard Power VIS (Variable Intake System) pcb I have prepared for a standard motor, you can see clearly where I screw the ever so troublesome switches to the pcb. Now, the two yellow wires you can see are the ones added for the self test. I have drilled the pcb to allow the two wires to be taken to the other side of the pcb without disturbing it's seating.

Turning the pcb over you can see there is no need for nuts on the other end of the machine screws as the switches themselfes are tapped. You can also see the test switch fitted, the switch is just short enough to sit next to the relay, heat shrunk the soldered joints just for good measure.

With the top fitted and the lock nut fitted to the switch it fits together absolutely as normal. I have used black heat resistant silicone on the underside of the switch to seal it to the casing top.

all that is left to do is to road test it for a while.

:D :D :D

Operation couldn't be simpler, turn ign on but do not start car. Press the button on the VIS motor and hold, you can hear the VIS motor across, release the button and you will hear the motor return :D

The test button is a "push to make momentary" and remains active for a couple of mins after ign off as the motors are powered until the car goes to sleep :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 16:09 #1 

pob06
Hi Dave,

Will follow this with interest. I assume it would work with both motors?.

pob
Despite the high cost of living its still proving popular.

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 16:32 #2 

yl51hfb
Excellant post, im sick of the vis system and plastic manifold. My car is now on its 4th due to the rattle and ive lost count how many vis motors and repairs to them.

The balance flap is now sticking so ive removed it and put it in the bin and the car seems so much better for it just wish the power stuff could be removed as easy to rid the rattles.

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 16:37 #3 

PaulT
Oh what fun those of us with oil burners are missing out on :gmc:
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 16:39 #4 

takestock
pob06 wrote:Hi Dave,

Will follow this with interest. I assume it would work with both motors?.

pob

It should, haven't looked at the room available in the balance yet, so obsessed with getting one finished. Had to look very carefully at the route the wiring takes and the position of the switch so it cannot come into contact with the rotating cog or foul the switches.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 16:42 #5 

Last edited by takestock on 16 Mar 2012, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

pob06
A lot more simple than the system we discussed, and the one I saw with LEDs built into the housing.

Good effort sir

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 17:13 #6 

takestock
As we discussed i am still looking at a simple two wire system to place an led in the cabin that would illuminate when the VIS operated and go out when it returned to rest ;).
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Mar 2012, 17:26 #7 

Last edited by takestock on 16 Mar 2012, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

takestock
Hmm late night in the shed last night it would appear....... :D

Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 09 Mar 2012, 19:50 #8 

pob06
Looks good

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 16:36 #9