Self levellers - warning by PaulT

PaulT
Company advertising rear self levellers on ebay making the followig statement:

Please note that due to the nature of these shock absorbers, the ride is firmer than the standard shockers. The shocks are also fully compatible with the standard springs, but a heavier duty spring is also available if required

Methinks not!

I will contact them

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 13 Nov 2010, 08:17 #1 

Duncan
I agree with you.

The firmness of the ride is the same when normally loaded as they are doing very little.

When loaded, they pump up a reservoir, which increases the amount of assistance to the spring and therefree levelling the load by making it effectively a stiffer spring.

In fact, the new springs are weaker than the standards, as the load levellers give some spring effect, even when normally loaded.

At least that's how I read it when I looked up how they work.

Posted 13 Nov 2010, 09:27 #2 

starbug2
Duncan wrote:I agree with you.

The firmness of the ride is the same when normally loaded as they are doing very little.

When loaded, they pump up a reservoir, which increases the amount of assistance to the spring and therefree levelling the load by making it effectively a stiffer spring.

In fact, the new springs are weaker than the standards, as the load levellers give some spring effect, even when normally loaded.

At least that's how I read it when I looked up how they work.

that is how i understand it :iagree:

Posted 13 Nov 2010, 13:25 #3 

JohnDotCom
It doesn't self level with twenty, two foot square paving slabs and sand on board. :em: :gmc:
The Oem system does feel slightly harder than the normal tourer system.

Not sure why it is mentioned but only suitable up to 17" wheels. :confused:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Nov 2010, 15:03 #4 

Duncan
Could be the wheels bigger than 17" are also wider. And the Nivomat shocks have a larger diameter.

Posted 13 Nov 2010, 16:27 #5 

JohnDotCom
Thanks Duncan.
Should put my brain in gear.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Nov 2010, 20:59 #6