Self build non starter! by Lightpainter

Lightpainter
Just finished a self build.
Asus P8H67 1155 Motherboard,
Intel i5 2500k Processor,
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory,
Housed in an old atx case I had indoors’

Rearing to go, press the on button all the fans rotate for about 2 seconds and then shut down, no sign of POST!

Any ideas?

Posted 31 May 2011, 16:45 #1 

Zeb
Is the PSU of a sufficiently high wattage?

Posted 31 May 2011, 16:47 #2 

JohnDotCom
Has the board got the modified Sandy Bridge chip set for the new unlocked i5 chips?
They were all recalled due to a serious problem.
Boards are now available from Asus and Gigabyte with problems cured.
The fault was if you plugged hard drives into SATA 2, a workaround was to use the new SATA 3 6GB leads/sockets.
Preferred Power supplies are 600W+ ideal 750 Watt but a decent 500 watt might suffice but not the budget rubbish.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 31 May 2011, 17:24 #3 

Lightpainter
That’s probably the problem, as I said I have used an old case and the power out is only 350W!

Posted 31 May 2011, 18:32 #4 

Lightpainter
JohnDotCom wrote:Has the board got the modified Sandy Bridge chip set for the new unlocked i5 chips?
They were all recalled due to a serious problem.
Boards are now available from Asus and Gigabyte with problems cured.
The fault was if you plugged hard drives into SATA 2, a workaround was to use the new SATA 3 6GB leads/sockets.
Preferred Power supplies are 600W+ ideal 750 Watt but a decent 500 watt might suffice but not the budget rubbish.

I bought the Asus board on EBay but it’s not rev3, do you know if Asus are doing a free exchange for faulty boards John?

Posted 31 May 2011, 19:14 #5 

JohnDotCom
If purchased from a authorised distributer if any problems asrise they will be exchanged.
It is a Intel chip fault rather than the board manufacturer.
The workaround was stated in beginning to use the SATA 3 for hard drives even if not SATA 3,
DVD and Blu ray should be OK on SATA 2.
I would first contact your supplier.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 31 May 2011, 19:20 #6 

Lightpainter
I purchased a new Corsair CX500 PSU, still no POST so am sending the motherboard back for a full refund.
Thanks for all the help Lads!

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 09:07 #7