seat slide control knob by Jaygee

Jaygee
can the passenger side seat control knob be changed as mine appears to have partially broken? and if so where can they be obtained plus, how easy are they to change?
car is a v6 2.0 conny mk.1.
thanks in advance..
John...
Member No: 155 Image

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 12:49 #1 

takestock
Hi john, if you cannot repair the knob and sometimes you can, (contact devlish) you have to change the whole switch: Rimmers around £70

One on ebay at the moment IIRC for a lot less.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 15:07 #2 

Duncan
Usually it's not the knob itself, but a couple of really weak pins on the switch, which are supposed to keep the switch straight.

Does the switch stay on and work, but spin round instead of being horizontal?

If yes, then it's those pins broken, and you need a new switchpack, or to repair it. The knob itself is likely to be fine.

To repair it, you have to remove it, and strip it down. Then you can drill the housing and replace the plastic pins with some screws. Done it a couple of times, fiddly and time consuming, but cheaper than a new switchpack.

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 19:05 #3 

Jaygee
Yes that is it the switch works but spins so must be a broken pin...
but how to get the switch pack off i am very hamfisted and frightened in case i break something.....
but i can usually follow instructions...
John...

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 09:17 #4 

Duncan
The switchpack is fitted to the plinth, so that has to come off first. Sorry I don't have photos as it's much easier to explain with pictures.

It's held on by two self tappers at the rear, and a nut at the front. You can see the self tappers, one at the top one at the bottom. The top one is a pain because the backrest gets in the way. However you can do it by pushing the foam out of the way.

The nut at the front is harder to see, you need to look underneath the seat. If you take the screws at the back out first, it usually ends up finger tight. When reassembling, only thighten it after the rear screws are fitted or you won't get them back in.

Once the plinth is off, disconnect the white connector to the switchpack.

Then, you have to remove a second plastic part inside the plinth. This is held on by a number of little plastic wedges. I've seen three on some, four on others. They just slide out, but don't lose them!

Once this is out of the way, the switchpack is just clipped in. You need to pull the caps off first, then use a screwdriver to ease the pack out.

To repair it involves dissasembly of the switchpack itself. I drilled and tapped holes where the pegs had snapped off, and then screwed and glued some screws into place. I had to grind the heads slightly once fitted, but both my cars have this fix done with no problems.

You may choose to replace the pack rather than repair. If so, please don't bin the old one as I could repair it or use bits to help another.

Incidentally, if anyone else has a broken passenger seat switch they could send me I could use that for spares too.

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 10:39 #5 

Jaygee
Thanks Duncan
Now i know how to do it i may have a go someday,I will need to work up to it as i am a mechanical numpty.....
Regards..
John...

Posted 26 Jul 2011, 19:23 #6