Scuttle Panel Romoval by Arctic

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Arctic
(Trader)
This is how to remove the front windscreen scuttle panel on the R40 7 MGZT for refurbishing or to undertake any work need below it.

First lift the bonnet so you have access to the window wiper fixings. Fig 1
Image1

With the bonnet raised remove the caps covering the wiper holding nuts. Fig 2/3
Image2

Image3

There are two of these be careful not to drop them into the engine bay when you prise them off have your thumb or finger over the top of the cap. Fig 4/5
Image4

Image5

With the covering caps removed you have access to the 15mm securing nut to the wiper mine had a blue line marked on it others I did had no mark,if you can make a corresponding mark to line up the nut at a later date but it is not really necessary Fig 6/7
Image6

Image7

Using a 15mm ring spanner loosen the locking nut, drivers side first Fig 8
Image8

Remove the nut and you will see the tapered spline holding the wiper in place Fig 9
Image9

Remove the centre 15mm locking nut as well Fig 10
Image10

These splines will still be holding the wiper tight you as you can see here fig 11
Image11

To help release these spline you will need to lift and wiggle the wiper at the same time, to do this lift the wiper from the screen, grip the wiper at the join as here in with your left hand making sure you have at least your little finger under the wiper Fig 12
Image12

Wiggle and lift at the same time carefully this should release the spline Fig 13/14
Image13

If the spline still feels a little tight hold down the arm of the wiper to take the tension of the spline Fig 14
Image14

Do this to both wipers and remove them from the car keeping both the splines and locking nuts safe. Fig 15
Image15

Next remove the outer plenum covers Fig 16/17
Image16

Image17

Now remove the seven scuttle panel clips with a tool of your choice I have a special one which fit into the recess at the clip Fig 18
Image18

Remove the two retaining scrivets at the end of the scuttle panel Fig 19
Image19

Pull of the rubber edge trim holding the front of the scuttle panel to the bulk head Fig 20
Image20

Your next step is to release the windscreen washer hose from the clip attached to the panel driver side Fig 21/22
Image21

Image22

The scuttle panel is now ready to be removed take care and lift the drivers side corner out and over the wiper pole, on to the windscreen Fig 23
Image23

Rest the scuttle panel There and go round to the near side passenger, slide it from under the front screen at the corner Fig 24
Image24

The panel can now be removed from the car safely Fig 25
Image25

With the panel removed clean the screen at the bottom and any debris that was under the scuttle panel.

Once you have refurbished the scuttle panel or replaced with one you already have you can refit it in reverse, feeding it between the screen and raised bonnet Fig 26/27
Image26

Image27

Once the scuttle panel is in place line it up with the fixing holes for the clips Fig 28
Image28

Make sure the ends of the scuttle panel are equal each side of the screen Fig 29/30
Image29

Image30

Push in the clips & scrivets Refit the wipers, replace the outer plenum cover shut the bonnet job done Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 26 Sep 2016, 21:59 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
We all know how the scuttle panel and the associated clips discolour on our cars.

Below you will find how I decided to give them both a new lease of life, using a bit of emery paper, a rattle can of black mat paint, also a bit of elbow grease which is free

The first one I did was for Dawn (Kitts) as I had a spare, Dawn's was broken so we made a plan to fit the refurbished on with associated clips at the September nano meet, it turned out that well I decided to fit it to my own car.

I then refurbished mine for Dawn, my son saw it and he clamed it, I then refurbished finally for Dawn all went to plan and a nice new looking scuttle panel and clips was fitted for Dawn at the nano

As we had another panel and a few spare clips I did an how to the other day for them here it is below should any member wish to giver their scuttle panel and clips a new lease of life cheers Arctic.

You will need a bit of emery cloth/and or wet and dry paper. Fig 1
Image1

Rub the clips on the emery paper Fig 2
Image2

Once you have rubbed them down they will need cleaning off Fig 3
Image3

I cleaned mine of with a liberal spray of carb cleaner Fig 4/5
Image4

Image5

Once spayed these were then dried of with a clean lint free cloth Fig 6/7
Image6

Image7

The paint I used was from Aldi £2.99 which as a good covering and is weather proof and hard wearing scratch proof as seen on the tin Fig 8
Image8

Once you are happy that the clips are fully dry you need to find your self a cardboard box and punch some holes into it for the clips to fit Fig 9
Image9

You can give the clip their first light coat of paint make sure it is light do not over spray them, you want to build the coats up three or four in total over a period of about an hour the paint is quick drying even more so if the sun is shining or sprayed in a warm area Fig 10
Image10

While that clips are drying after first coat you can clean the scuttle panel form any grease etc.

With the scuttle panel on the ground I first washed it by spraying with clean water Fig 11/12
Image11

Image12

I then squirted some washing up liquid onto the scuttle panel and gave it a good scrub Fig 13/14
Image13

Image14

This was then washed off with clean water once again Fig 15
Image15

The scuttle panel was then hung up to dry Fig 16
Image16

Once dried off enough sprayed it with carb cleaner Fig 17/18
Image17

Image18

This was then rubbed and cleaned off with the cloths working into any areas that needed it with a screwdriver wrapped around the cloth Fig 19
Image19

In between doing this I had spayed the clips again once the final third coat had been applied they were ready Fig 20
Image20

With the scuttle panel dry and gave that it's first light coat of paint Fig 21
Image21

Repeat this over an hour or so and you will have a nice new looking scuttle panel and clips all for a little work and a £2.99 can of spray cheers Arctic
Image22

Image23

Cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 26 Sep 2016, 22:31 #2 

MrDoodles
You must have read my mind, as I've thinking about doing this to Ed for a while! :-o

It'll have to go on the "To do" list! :)

Posted 05 Apr 2019, 21:23 #3 

Trebor
nice one Steve
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 07 Apr 2019, 23:28 #4