Scrolling Lefthand Colum by greeners (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

greeners
Can somebody please tell me how to stop the left hand colum move down when i scroll down the page .....

It's really anoying at half two in the morning.

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 01:36 #1 

Zeb
The answer to that question...is near the end of this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=890

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 02:40 #2 

greeners
Cheers Zeb

It's really getting on my tits now....

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 02:56 #3 

Zeb
greeners wrote:Cheers Zeb

It's really getting on my tits now....

Patience dear boy....and don't mention tits (Wot? Not Melon pie?)....it is a sore point (if you'll excuse the pun) in this house... :oops:

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 03:10 #4 

Samarkand
When I check sometimes this site on my mobile phone, the left hand bar takes the major part of the screen and even scrolls to the right as I move to the right for reading and I practically can only see few words at a time, very annoying and I give up.
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 07:54 #5 

SpongeBob
Mobile phone use is noted where the left column behaves differently. The width is fixed so it shouldn't get any wider. I know on iPhone / iPod / iPad that it sometimes disappeares upwards. There are fixes in the pipeline but no firm time on when they'll be available I'm afraid.

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 07:59 #6 

Bernard
I've only got a blank column on the left on my BlackBerry. :confused:
Makes life difficult for navigating but as you all know, I'm not one to grumble. :gmc:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 08:03 #7 

Colin_NI
I must admit its very frustrating, considering its mostly adverts and little else of use.

This is actually a frustration that annoys me so much I actually havnt been visiting the forum that often now. I use firefox, ie8 and also opera mini and nokia browser and all react to the forum differently.

Surely a layout option would be great for everyone to choose for a more traditional or the newer revised design.

Suggestions otherwise. LOL.
Facebook events page for NI/ROI owners -http://www.facebook.com/#%21/group.php?gid=147988158548390

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 05:38 #8 

SpongeBob
The idea (and the application of the idea) is that the left hand column aims to keep the top navigation box visible towards the top of the screen, no matter where abouts you scroll the main content. 

It has been tested in all major browsers and works consistently. Mobile browsers are a known inconsistency however - this will be resolved but unfortunately not yet. The main concern for the site functioning correctly on desktop computers was the main priority. 

What sort of problems are you experiencing?

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 11:39 #9 

Colin_NI
With opera mini and nokia browser it distorts all over the place, the left column floats over everything else making texts, images and link selection impossiable.

Sounds daft, but could a mobile version of the forum be implemented? Surely its just a case of a downloadable pack and installing it into the forum cgi scripts if they exsist already?

Would be a massive solution of phone users.
Facebook events page for NI/ROI owners -http://www.facebook.com/#%21/group.php?gid=147988158548390

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 20:19 #10 

SpongeBob
I have not had the opportunity to test it on Symbian OS browsers or Opera browsers so yes - I can appreciate they may not be compatible. I am aware of a minor issue with Safari Mobile (iOS) but it is no where as problematic as the problem you are describing.

A solution will be implemented in the future to ensure readability and usability for mobile browsers but given the vast choice and variety of differing standards out there it is an up hill battle to ensure equal compatibility for all.

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 21:15 #11 

Dave Goody
I too find it a bit irritating to open the site with the title at the top and then have to scroll down to go through the menu, can it not come up on one page? Dave

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 14:49 #12 

Bernard
If we could have a button for unread threads and/or new threads at the top of the screen instead of the bottom, it would be really useful on mobile. :)

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 15:39 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Am I missing something?
Screen shot 2010-09-26 at 16.40.53.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 15:42 #14 

Bernard
Mick wrote:Am I missing something?

No, but I am. See my earlier post, No 7 or thereabouts.

And there's another thing, where do you see the post number within a thread?

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 16:03 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bernard wrote:
Mick wrote:Am I missing something?

No, but I am. See my earlier post, No 7 or thereabouts.

And there's another thing, where do you see the post number within a thread?

Point taken.

Posts in thread

Screen shot 2010-09-26 at 17.40.59.jpg

ooops misread, you want the actual post number, not the number of posts. Not something I have noticed as missing, we'll look into it, certainly it is not part of the standard templates for BB3 on which all are built.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 16:43 #16 

Bernard
Mick wrote:
ooops misread, you want the actual post number, not the number of posts. Not something I have noticed as missing, we'll look into it, certainly it is not part of the standard templates for BB3 on which all are built.

No big deal. Just useful sometimes when you want to refer to a post, for example, or see where you are within a thread.

I often have a problem knowing where I am. :(

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 17:00 #17 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bernard wrote:
Mick wrote:

No big deal. Just useful sometimes when you want to refer to a post, for example, or see where you are within a thread.

I often have a problem knowing where I am. :(

Ditto on the "where am I"
A post number would be useful, as I said we'll see if it is possible to write it into the software. I say we, Simon does the programming.

I've flagged this up in admin forum, one of us will come back shortly with a definitive answer.

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 17:02 #18 

SpongeBob
The subject was pondered upon, responded too and then I cam along and wrote some code to make it work :D

You should now notice a number just before the author of each post. Clicking on this will bring up a pop-up box with a direct link to the post which you can copy and paste at your leisure :)

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 22:10 #19 

Bernard
SpongeBob wrote:The subject was pondered upon, responded too and then I cam along and wrote some code to make it work :D

You should now notice a number just before the author of each post. Clicking on this will bring up a pop-up box with a direct link to the post which you can copy and paste at your leisure :)

Fantastic response!

Thank you. 8-)

Posted 26 Sep 2010, 22:13 #20