SATNAV REMOVED NOW RADIO WORKS DIFFERENTLY by JDP

JDP
I posted a week ago about my Parasitic Battery Drain. Thank you to all of those who responded - it was indeed the SatNav which had a few drops of moisture on its cover. We will keep the SatNav removed for a week or so for it to dry out, but now I find that I have to turn ignition to stage 1 before my radio comes on. Before (unless I've entered a parallel world) I did not have to turn ignition at all. What would the reason be for this, and can I return to previous radio arrangement if SatNav is never put back into car??

Posted 21 Jan 2013, 14:52 #1 

Duncan
It should only come on if turend to position 1, to prevent battery drain. So it's working OK now and wasn't before.

Posted 21 Jan 2013, 19:15 #2 

JDP
You've missed my point. Before the SatNav problem, radio did NOT have to be in position 1 to work.

Posted 21 Jan 2013, 21:05 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I think the point is that the stereo "should" only work when key is in position one. The apparent fact that it was able to work without the ignition switched at all was part of the power drain issue. I can only suggest you check this function again when the NAV module has thoroughly dried out and take it from there. Why it should have functioned without ignition switched with the NAV module connected is beyond me. Hopefully one of the experts may have an idea.

Posted 21 Jan 2013, 21:21 #4 

JDP
No, that's not it either. I have a HI-LINE AUDIO & NAVIGATION SYSTEM. I dont need to have the radio on, but if I do I used to simply depress a button, radio and screen would come on WITHOUT putting key into position one. I've checked with neighbours who also have an inbuilt SatNav (Honda and Merc cars in their cases) and they too do NOT have to have keys in position one in order to listen to the radio.

Posted 21 Jan 2013, 22:33 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
OK, I don't have a NAV system so I can't be sure, Hopefully someone with the same set up will confirm for us.

Posted 21 Jan 2013, 23:11 #6 

JDP
I'm hoping that member TAKESTOCK will pick up on this thread, because he has a Rover inbuilt Hi-Line system too.

Posted 22 Jan 2013, 08:09 #7 

Duncan
I have a 75 and a Skoda. On the 75 with highline nav I'm 90% sure you have to switch it on with the key. My Skoda doesn't need the key though and will come on for an hour. It's a system thats about 20 years different in age, and the car setup is different.

Posted 22 Jan 2013, 20:27 #8 

takestock
My Hiline cannot be used without the key in the ignition and turned to position 1. I believe yours was working through the Sat nav unit that would not switch off. This was draining your battery but giving you the luxury of being able to use the entertainment system without having the keys in.
Hope that helps a little :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Jan 2013, 20:54 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Dave and Duncan for confirming my thoughts on the matter. :)

Posted 22 Jan 2013, 20:56 #10 

JDP
Yes, thank you Takestock. What you say confirms that there are different accesses to car radio.

With some Audis, they require key in ignition but NOT turned to any position - and the radio comes on!

Also tbanks to Duncan and info about your Skoda radio working WITHOUT ignition being at position 1.

Posted 23 Jan 2013, 15:18 #11 

Duncan
Modern Audis, VWs Skodas and so on now work the same way. They are all the same company after all!

With the key out, the radio will work for one hour and then switch off again. If you put the key in but don't turn it, it's the same. As soon as you turn it on, the radio stays on as long as ignition is on. However when you turn the ignition off, the radio will still keep working until you actually pull out the key. Its known as kl_S or S contact. Also sometimes kl_86S.

Posted 23 Jan 2013, 18:56 #12 

JakeWilson
Checked with our two highline cars before I moved back down to Wales the other day and neither will allow radio without keys in and turned to position one.

Posted 24 Jan 2013, 01:34 #13