Sad Day by takestock

• Related topics: (no related topics)

takestock
Sad day for us today. The stray cat we sort of adopted 11yr ago has been allowed to come home from the vets for one last weekend, knew he wasn't well but never expected this.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Dec 2021, 12:02 #1 

AndyN01
Take what you can from what's left of your time together.

Remember the unconditional love and the laughs he gave you.

Care for him until the end as you have done for over a decade.

My thoughts are with you.

Andy

Posted 18 Dec 2021, 16:33 #2 

takestock
Thanks Andy...
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 19 Dec 2021, 08:02 #3 

takestock
Well my best mate is still with us. took him to the vets yesterday and the vet said he is a little better than he was and not in pain just now, not sure if I'm doing him any favours. Vet gave him another steroid shot and more antibiotics. Just don't know what to do for the best... Just came and curled up at my feet
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 21 Dec 2021, 14:57 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Dave what did the vet say is wrong with the cat? when they told us Bruno as ill and would get worse we had to make that hard decision to either let him suffer a little more and be with us a little longer or have the vet give him the injection.

We did think first to let him go his own way, but then thought hold on are we doing that because we do not want him to pass, then after we talked we both thought if we had the chance ourselves to help to be euthanized because we were in pain we would like to be helped, you could see he was in pain, and he looked sad so some more talking to the vet and very sadly we made the hard decision, we were both there and he just went to sleep peacefully.

He is now still with us in a little remembrance area in our back garden, we have to remember they can't speak for themselves so that hard decision we have to take for them with good guidance and information from the vet.

I know what i write does not really help, only sad days ahead i am afraid sorry Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 22 Dec 2021, 10:12 #5 

takestock
Hi Steve, the cat has cancer, they have given him another shot of steroids and another shot of antibiotics to help the infection caused in his head by the cancer. He has very little interest in anything but doesn't seem to be in any pain at the moment. he cannot be bothered to go to the kitchen to eat but if I take it to him he gobbles the lot. I know he hasn't got long it's just a matter of when...
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Dec 2021, 19:09 #6 

Trebor
Sorry to hear your news Dave, we had a cat who got hit by a car and which broke his pelvis and when I took him to the emergency vets it was to put him to sleep or so I thought as he could crawl but had completely lost the use of his back legs, but the vet gave him some painkillers and next day strapped him up and said he could survive which my wife and daughter were ecstatic about when I got home as they thought they had seen the last of him.
I had to keep him in a tea chest for weeks after just to restrict his movement, I changed his food and litter tray each day and eventually let him out for short spells until he eventually he came out altogether and was walking along the fence with perfect balance yet again and made an almost full recovery
There is a sad end to this story though as a few months after his recovery, he started to bump into things and lose some of his coordination and I took him back to the vets this time thinking he maybe just needed some medication but the vet said he had brain damage and there was nothing he could do so on that occasion I did go home without the cat which left my wife and daughter devastated
Anyway sorry to hijack your thread but pets just become one of the family and it takes a while to get over their passing, all the best to you and Marina
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 23 Dec 2021, 19:15 #7 

MrDoodles
Sorry to hear that Dave! :(

I've had cats since I was 8 years old, (so a long time) but lost the most unique cat that I've ever had December 5th 2019, so just had the 2nd Anniversary of his death and it still upsets me! :(

Went to the Vets with a cough in the afternoon, only to be phoned by them 4 hours later, telling me that he'd died of a heart attack! :(

When we went to collect his body, so we could bury him at home, they then presented me with a bill of over £400 for the pleasure! :(

Non-cat people don't understand how they become part of the family, so I feel your pain Dave! :cry:

Posted 24 Dec 2021, 17:44 #8