Roverless by PaulT

PaulT
So the decision was made to buy another younger car which we found on Thursday. Agrred with the dealer that delivery would be delivered w/c 03/04/17 so the VED ran from 01/04/17. So the plan, get the car on eBay on Friday 24th, 7 day listing, end on 31/03/17, declare SORN and get the VED back for April (ends at end of April).

Friday morning amongst other things, thoroughly clean the outside, then take it a little way along the coast to a car park with grass and the dunes in the background to take some photos of the outside planning to get it on eBay asap and add photos of the interior when given a good clean.

So there I am positioning the car, taking photos when a car drove in, stopped opposite me made a comment about the car – it does look very good when clean. I told him it was for sale if he wanted to buy it. He casually asked, in a way that said ‘just curious’ and I gave him a figure. He drove off and parked nearby and then came back, wandered around the car and then said that his son in law was looking for a car and mine would be ideal. He then took some photos and tried to contact his son in law but could only get his daughter. I said that if they thought their son in law might be interested then I would hold off putting it on eBay provided they let me know that evening whether the son in law was interested, never expecting to hear anymore.

That evening a call ‘yes, he would like to come on Saturday morning to look at the car’. Saturday morning they arrived, a brief check over the car and sold.

Would I have got more on eBay, would I have got less, would I have some clown mucking me about – who knows just happy a very easy sale tinged with a little sadness at the car going.

Have some bits and pieces to put on eBay and will post a link once I have should anyone be interested.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Mar 2017, 18:51 #1 

charlie 22
If you are offered a price you are happy with then everyone is a winner and the fact of no tyre kickers to deal with. How is your new car treating you?

Posted 04 Nov 2017, 17:23 #2 

PaulT
Hi Charlie

Yes, it was nice not having people potentially messing me about....perhaps though I should have thought a little more before plucking a price out of the air but there again I never thought it would end in a sale.

The replacement is a 2 litre Insignia Tourer of the oil burning variety.

Not as comfortable as the Rover but there again may be as 'stiff' as the MG.

The extra 'poke' in the engine is welcome.

The auto in the Insignia is better than the Rover - in cruise the box does not change down at the very slightest incline. The auto lights are good including the auto main beam plus the dipped beam changes according to speed, ambient light etc.

Cannot get as much stuff in the spare wheel well - loads of space even with a full size wheel but far less in the Insignia with a space saver wheel, virtually none if it had a full size spare.

The other nice thing is no rot.....yet.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 04 Nov 2017, 18:29 #3