Rover zipper tool ? by Trebor

Trebor
Today with Steve Devilish we have repaired my non folding rear seat and to do it had to take the seat out and peel back the cover to access the mechanism
The covers were zipped around the edges but there was no zipper to undo them so had to gently pull them apart
I now need to zip them up again and Steve thinks there may have been a zipper tool for this purpose , has anyone ever heard of one ?
I could try and find a zipper of the right size and persevere but if there is a proper tool would like to get hold of one as the mod which has been turned into a how to could become popular as it fixes a long standing problem and the tool would be useful for more than just me
The zips on the seats are together but open at the ends and just tucked into the seat and surely there must have been a quick way of doing it in the factory rather than zipping up and throwing the zippers away
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 11 Dec 2015, 23:53 #1 

Mad-Monkey
When I did my seats on the old 190 the zippers were still in place tucked into the seat lining. Guess I got lucky.

Never seen or heard of an official tool though. Sorry.

Posted 12 Dec 2015, 10:37 #2 

Trebor
Thanks for that David it does help maybe there is no tool after all, none of mine were there and there are at least 3/4 zips.

Mind you my car is from the project drive era, you dont think ..........!
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 12 Dec 2015, 11:36 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 12 Dec 2015, 12:43 #4 

Devilish
[quote="Trebor"]maybe there is no tool after all[quote]
The upholstery companies use them (or make their own) I have seen them, it has been a few years though.They are like a zip slider on a coat hanger type wire. Because they are zipped up from the inside, both ends of the zipper are inserted so the slider is underneath the zipper, then it is just pulled out from underneath.

So there. BIG NOSE
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 07:32 #5 

Trebor
Ok ok now go and find one then , if you need a clue it will be somewhere to the rear of a rocking horse

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 09:54 #6 

Duncan
Some years ago we did one at a Nano. Whoever it was found some zippers from another source, maybe trousers or whatever. I think I have some left with me but they will be well hidden in a box in the garage if they are there. I'll have a dig if you are still stuck.

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 19:42 #7 

Trebor
Thanks Duncan there are various zippers in different sizes on e bay for a few pounds so will try there I reckon, if somebody used one from their trousers at a Nano what a pity I missed the photo opportunity !

It's a question of getting the right size so will measure the zip width I guess
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 20:29 #8 

Devilish
The type of zipper used Rob is 'upholstery nylon loop' and I think the size is 'N3', you need to measure the width of one of the loops to get the correct slider size.
you were correct about the rocking horse, asked a mate of SWMBO's if I could have a look around the back of the kids rocking horse, she said she had just vacuumed, tsk.

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 03:02 #9 

Bernard
Devilish wrote:The type of zipper used Rob is 'upholstery nylon loop' and I think the size is 'N3'

This knowledge suggests to me that you have a severe case of 'anorakitis' ;)

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 09:21 #10 

Trebor
You should see his soldered cross stitch Bernard !

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 13:23 #11 

Devilish
Mick, can we please have a 'stick your tongue out' smiley, because I could really do with one about now :hissyfit:

Posted 15 Dec 2015, 21:46 #12 

Devilish
Bernard wrote:
Devilish wrote:The type of zipper used Rob is 'upholstery nylon loop' and I think the size is 'N3'

This knowledge suggests to me that you have a severe case of 'anorakitis' ;)

Trebor wrote:You should see his soldered cross stitch Bernard !

Posted 15 Dec 2015, 21:52 #13