Rover 75 VIS motors by rhylbloke

rhylbloke
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself ( and hopefully pick a few brains ) I live in North Wales and have a Rover 75, V reg, 2 ltr V6, which I've had for nearly 5 years, and which has been the nicest car I've ever owned, had the odd hiccup, like a new clutch 18 months ago, and a new ( well, new from a breakers yard ) inlet manifold two and a half years ago, because it started rattling and that was what I was told was needed to fix it. It's been fine since then, until about two weeks ago when the rattle unfortunately returned. It's done 116,000 miles and I was going to sell it in a couple of months anyway, and get a newer diesel 75 or possibly a ZT. So, I've been looking at inlet manifolds on e-bay, and posted a question on another forum ( which apparently should remain nameless on here ) and people are talking about getting a VIS (Variable Intake System) tester and some other stuff that's a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. I just wanted an informed opinion whether it was worth the hassle and expense of me messing about trying to get this rattle fixed, for the sake of another few weeks use and then selling it and hoping to recoup the money I've just spent on it, or to try to sell it as it is now :- decent condition with a fairly new clutch and nothing wrong that I'm aware of other than this rattle ( VIS motors ? )- three or four hundred pounds to someone who could sort out the rattle themselves ? What does anyone think ?
Thanks

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 12:56 #1 

Duncan
Don't think anyone on here gets stroppy about other fora being mentioned.

Anyhow, it's got to be worth checking the motors, as they can cause a rattle if they aren't working. As it's a fairly easy fix in most cases, you can do it yourself for free with a soldering iron. I'm sure there are instructions somewhere, but the forum guru on repairs, Dave, will be along soon I'm sure.

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 13:13 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi Les and welcome.
Probably the best advice I can give is give Jules a call. He's just down the road from you, (if you are indeed in Rhyl) get him to test the VIS motors and give you a price for repair, you can make your mind up from there. Sorry haven't got his phone number to hand, someone will be along with it.
Jules (JMA CARS)
Foxhill Coach House
Nant Y Glyn Road
Colwyn Bay
North Wales
LL29 6AB

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 13:14 #3 

takestock
Duncan wrote:but the forum guru on repairs, Dave, will be along soon I'm sure.

And just how do you think Les found his way here then ;) ;) ;).

As Mick says I have advised les to contact Jules, shame Les is not closer to me or I would sort it for him :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 13:22 #4 

Last edited by takestock on 05 Mar 2011, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

rhylbloke
takestock wrote:

And just how do you think Lee found his way here then ;) ;) ;).

As Mick says I have advised lee to contact Jules, shame Lee is not closer to me or I would sort it for him :)

Thanks everyone. As I work in Colwyn Bay, I will definitely give Jules a call. As I said to Dave, someone called Jules in Colwyn Bay put my clutch in, but he was working from Fred Eastwood's garage at the time, and didn't profess to have any sort of special interest in Rover 75's or MG ZT's, so I don't suppose it's the same bloke.
P.S. it's Les, not Lee

Cheers
Les

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 15:10 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
rhylbloke wrote:P.S. it's Les, not Lee

Cheers
Les

Apologies Les.

I've ordered some new specs ......................... honest. :)

Just need a new brain to go with them. :nurse:

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 15:38 #6 

takestock
Yeah, sorry Lee, I mean Les ...........:gmc:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 15:40 #7 

Bartonrover
rhylbloke wrote:
takestock wrote:

Thanks everyone. As I work in Colwyn Bay, I will definitely give Jules a call. As I said to Dave, someone called Jules in Colwyn Bay put my clutch in, but he was working from Fred Eastwood's garage at the time, and didn't profess to have any sort of special interest in Rover 75's or MG ZT's, so I don't suppose it's the same bloke.
P.S. it's Les, not Lee

Cheers
Les

Les - Jules does very little but 75 & ZTs. He's done quite a bit on my two cars - and I live in Essex! Top bloke.

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 13:59 #8