Rover 75 - back to square one by rhylbloke

rhylbloke
Hi,
saw Jules at his place at lunchtime, and he sends his regards to everyone.
Good news and bad news - the VIS (Variable Intake System) motors are knackered but he can fix that no problem. Unfortunately we discovered that the cambelt hasn't been renewed ( I bought it at 76,000 miles and it's not been changed while I've had it, and it's on 116,000 now ) so that would add another £500 to the job. So, if it's not just the VIS motors and the manifold needs to be changed as well, it could be in the region of £1,300. I've initially said i'll have it done ( though it's three weeks away, so I've got time to change my mind ) but I'm starting to have misgivings about potentially spending virtually twice the intrinsic value of the car. Soul searching time. :confused:
Les

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 19:24 #1 

Duncan
Always a tricky one.

But remember the V6s are cheapest when they need the belts done. A verifiable belt change significantly increases its desirability, so should lift the price above what it is now.

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 19:39 #2 

JohnDotCom
That is as said why you can pick them up cheap, normally means belts aren't done.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 20:24 #3 

rhylbloke
I do have another option though - my Dad has the 1.8 version, automatic, same colour as mine, very well looked after, 2 yrs younger and much less mileage ( not sure exactly how many ). He bought it from his brother a few months ago and I think the novelty is wearing off, plus he can't fit it in his garage. I'm sure he would be open to a family-rate offer ( Dads always pull you out of the what-not don't they, no matter how old you are ? ) Could someone tell me what are the pro's and con's of the 1.8 version ?
Having said all that, I haven't actually asked him yet, but I'm fairly sure he doesn't frequent this forum ( in fact he hasn't got a computer, so it's extremely unlikely )
Les

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 21:07 #4 

Duncan
The 1.8s seem to be much more prone to head gasket failure, unless it's been replaced with an improved one.

On the upside they are a fair bit more economical than the V6s apparently.

Not speaking from experience myself, as I'm a V6 and a Diesel man.

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 22:14 #5 

RRobson
if the manifold your takling about is the plastic upper manifold, unless you really need the extra power that can be obtained from a working manifold and working vis motors, i wouldnt bother changing either. all the manifold will do is rattle, and you can remove the bit that rattles, so it no longer poses a problem, other than being slightly down on power and possibly on economy. thats £700 save straight away. cambelts need doing obviously, but it is a big expense if your not planning on keeping the car till you runn it itnyo the ground.

do you know what i would do? id leave it as it is, not change the inlet manifold, not change the cam belt and run it until something breaks, then either scrap it or break it. harsh i know, but with that mileage, nobody is going to take it off you, and you already appreciate the market value of it. i know of a few people with cam belts over 120k and over 10 years old still running, but i wouldnt have thought theres too much life left.

pros of a 1.8

err..... its a bit more econimical??
seriously though, cheaper to run, tax, insure, doesnt cost £5-600 for a cambelt, no inlet manifold or vis problems, generally reliable

cons

hgf likely (£400) dont sound anywhere near as nice as v6, not as quick or torquey, v6 less likley to let you down, less likely to find a highly spec'd one

both have certain areas where coolant leaks can propegate, both arerent bad to service (if you dont count changing the rear bank spark plugs which can be fiddly) both arent really very econimical,
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 23:11 #6 

rhylbloke
Hi,
thanks for that. I would very much appreciate knowing how to remove /disconnect or disable the upper manifold and vis motors to stop that rattling noise temporarily, as it's really getting on my nerves ( I tried to send a private message about this because it seemed a bit like heretical talk on here, but it seems to be stuck in my outbox )
Ta
Les

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 17:49 #7 

JohnDotCom
If in your Outbox it means the person you sent it to hasn't as yet read it.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 17:58 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
PM stay in your outbox until they are collected by the recipient, they are not stuck.

Edit:- incorrect info deleted.

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 18:02 #9 

rhylbloke
Thanks Mick,
I'll have a go at that tomorrow ( but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of subsequent requests for further clarification, if it's not as self-evident as it sounds )
Cheers
Les

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 18:53 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
rhylbloke wrote:Thanks Mick,
I'll have a go at that tomorrow ( but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of subsequent requests for further clarification, if it's not as self-evident as it sounds )
Cheers
Les

Please ignore what I have said above about butterflies. (now deleted) I have been informed by expert opinion that it is not advisable to mess with inlet manifold or it's contents. What I thought I knew was from ancient posts during my time on .org and Owners Club. That info has now been deleted from the depths of memory.

Live with the rattle until Jules has sorted your VIS actuators. That is the correct way of dealing with this issue.

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 19:47 #11 

takestock
Hi Les,

If it is manifold rattle it is the joints between the buterflies and the connecting arm that are worn. to remove the entire assy is a major job, it includes the removal of the manifold.

The rattle comes from the power VIS set up only ( the one fitted to the top, not the side ), the balance one ( one fitted on the side) is connected directly to a flap and will not cause any rattles ;)

Slight wear on the joints is hidden by a working power VIS so this may be the first option. shame your not closer we could fit one and see if it made a difference :)

Reece (RRobson) has actually opened up a manifold and found it a major task, not undoable but labour intensive.

Any more info you need Les just ask matey :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 19:55 #12 

rhylbloke
Thanks both,
saves me causing a premature demise of my car by faffing about under the bonnet while not quite sure what I'm doing ( the story of my life in many ways )
I actually used to work on a garage nearly 40 years ago, fitting tyres and exhausts as a weekend job, and I used to take my first car to bits ( a 1957 Wolseley 1500 - it was 17 years old by then, I'm not that old - It had a proper walnut dash, not a pretend plastic one, with a valve box under the dashboard for the state of the art Motorola push button radio ) and I fitted seat belts in, serviced it and was constantly stripping down and cleaning out the SU carburettor. However, things have moved on slightly in this electronical age, and I'm pretty much stumped when I look under the bonnet these days.
I took some choccy bickies by the way and Jules was very appreciative. He said that you ( Dave ) made the VIS tester that he used to test mine - I was very impressed.
Cheers
Les

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 20:52 #13 

JohnDotCom
Indeed Dave is a great bloke to have around, he also built a VIS tester for Community members to use free of charge.
It's under the control of member Raistlin.
John

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 22:25 #14 

RRobson
takestock wrote:Reece (RRobson) has actually opened up a manifold and found it a major task, not undoable but labour intensive.

tell me about it :roll:

difficult to get off in one piece when theres a lump hammer sat winking at you :D

the brown arm and the 6 butterfly valves are the little blighters in question. this one was absolutely knackerd when i took it appart. the brown arm should be attached to each valve by a little ball joint. on this one, the arm was completly free of every single one of them.

the arm is the bit that rattles the most, and if you really wanted to, you could take it out without too much problem, but would probably require cutting into sections to get it out with the manifold in situe. it would require the removal of the power vis (4 screws) and its just there in the hole.

it would be much easier just to live with it for now, wont cause a problem and wont cost any money. i bet you cant hear it from inside the cabin anyway ;)

vis testers arent too dificult to make should you want to make one yourself, hardest part is finding the vis connectors.
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 11 Mar 2011, 22:28 #15 

rhylbloke
Thanks all. Having taken all that under consideration, I think I might just turn the radio up. In fact, the noise seems to me to be more noticeable inside than outside, and sometimes it's hardly there at all. In fact on Monday I optimistically thought it had cured itself because it was so quiet. It's just that, however nicely I polish and valet it, when that noise is there, it makes me feel like I'm driving an old banger. Anyway, I just need it to keep going for another 5 weeks - 4 weeks today when it's to be used as an extra wedding car/taxi for my stepson's wedding ( which was the main reason that I wanted it to sound nice and quiet if possible on that day ) and 5 weeks to when I get the spondooliks from my "flexible retirement" payout, to enable me to buy something else ( though it comes third on the list after paying off the mortgage and stashing away a nestegg ) - Jules had a nice black ZT diesel that will be for sale ( don't want to steal his thunder, but I think he will probably be advertising it on here when he gets back from a trip to France in about ten days time ) and it would probably be ideal if I could get a car from someone like him. However, I'm a bit fussy and although I like the exterior look of the ZT, I prefer the interior of the 75, plus I'm a bit put off ZT's by the comments I've seen as to what a hard suspension they have. I prefer a nice smooth ride ( so to speak ) and I'm also fussy about the colour of the interior - I much prefer the beige upholstery, like mine. So, I guess it will take a bit of searching.
Thanks again
Les :thumbsup:

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 08:23 #16