Rip-off Britain is alive and well by raistlin

raistlin
I've just been fined by DVLA. :evil:

The reason?

I'm a law abiding citizen who hasn't had to attend Court as a defendant, or set off a scamera. I haven't failed to notify change of address (because I haven't moved house). I haven't failed to get a tax disk or failed to have VeeKay MOTd, or driven without insurance or with excess alcohol.

My crime is being straightforward and honest and thereby not contributing to the motoring stealth tax.

So, how did they catch me? My driving licence photo is due for renewal... that'll be twenty quid thank you... ker-ching.

But wait... there's more. Allied to this initial rip-off is a further rip-off and a little nepotism as well. Jobs (and income) for the boys at the Post Office.

The 'rules' for what constitutes a correct photo take up half an A4 sized sheet, even down to limiting the distance between chin and top of head to a tolerance of less than 5mm, basically enough rules to allow them to reject any photo they wish, thereby 'encouraging' you to pay money to the Post Office for their
Dedicated Professionals
to take the photo for you. That'll be another four and a half quid... ker-ching.

One of my colleagues at work went through this process with the Post Office "dedicated professional" just after Christmas and eventually had to show the certified idiot how to use the damned camera.

So, Twenty five quid as near as dammit, for something I haven't asked for, have no desire for and I'm having to do at their behest or face breaking the law :evil:

OK, I understand that my mug-shot may have changed over the years, but if they insist on another photo, why should I have to pay?

Time, I think, to head for the mellow thread.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 10:42 #1 

Bermudan 75
Send in a photograph whilst wearing a burkha.......... :gmc:

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 11:01 #2 

raistlin
Rover418275 wrote:Send in a photograph whilst wearing a burkha.......... :gmc:

Good idea :lol:
Paul

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 11:18 #3 

Dave
raistlin wrote:even down to limiting the distance between chin and top of head to a tolerance of less than 5mm

To be fair, that would be a very small head! :mrgreen:

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 11:40 #4 

SpongeBob
Here's something funny. A colleague at work has just applied for a new passport. She has very white hair (dyed, she's only 21). The Post Office said they thought her photos would fail the passport office's checks as they insist that the background must be light coloured (beige or light-grey) yet you must have a clear differentiation of you hair (or head) in the image. Her photo fell quite short of the mark by my observations but it was the best they could do (after the second or even third attempt at taking the photo for the same reasons as you Paul, e.g. too close/far away, seat not set at right height... etc.).

Still, much to our amazement the passport arrived back all made up and accepted, complete with the photograph which now looks even more obscure thanks to the security holograms and drawings they superimpose over it. I do note though that the standards required for the passport photo seem to be a lot less than those seemingly required to obtain a driving licence - which is possibly a little disconcerting. :panic:

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 19:05 #5 

MrB
raistlin wrote:So, Twenty five quid as near as dammit, for something I haven't asked for, have no desire for and I'm having to do at their behest or face breaking the law :evil:

Did you receive a reminder asking you to update??

I seem to remember an article in the motoring press on how people were being fined (quite heavily IIRC) for not having updated their driver's licence photo.

I notice mine is due for updating Nov 2010, I will of course ensure it is sorted by then.

But, just in case, wondered if I can expect to receive a reminder? Seem to remember the aforementioned article indicated people had no idea when their photo was due to be updated.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 22:09 #6 

raistlin
MrB wrote:Did you receive a reminder asking you to update?

That's what I received Chris.
Paul

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 22:14 #7 

MrB
Least I shouldn't forget to get one then

Haven't read the rules regarding the pics, sound ridiculous, don't remember it being difficult when I got my 1st photo licence.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 07 Aug 2010, 22:30 #8 

Patrick
Why oh why do people volunteer to carry labour's backdoor excuse for an ID card and pay for it when you can keep the old paper one for ever for nothing?

Not so much Rip off Britain as dumb Britain

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 23:33 #9 

MrB
Patrick wrote:Why oh why do people volunteer to carry labour's backdoor excuse for an ID card and pay for it when you can keep the old paper one for ever for nothing?

I had no choice but to change to a photo licence when I passed my motorcycle test some 10 years ago.

Anyone applying for a licence, provisional or other, now has to obtain a photo licence, so far as I am aware.

Anyone changing address must replace their paper licence with a photo one also, so far as I am aware.

Noone is being dumb here.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 00:00 #10 

djw40
MrB wrote:
Patrick wrote:Why oh why do people volunteer to carry labour's backdoor excuse for an ID card and pay for it when you can keep the old paper one for ever for nothing?

I had no choice but to change to a photo licence when I passed my motorcycle test some 10 years ago.

Anyone applying for a licence, provisional or other, now has to obtain a photo licence, so far as I am aware.

Anyone changing address must replace their paper licence with a photo one also, so far as I am aware.

Noone is being dumb here.

Yep - spot on, ANY change on your driving licence means Kerching for the DVLA and a photo licence is required.

Those fortunate enough to still reside at the same address and not have any changes to their licence can indeed keep the old paper one but they are in the minority......

Having a photo card licence implemented in the first place definitely helps with regard to others using someone's licence - the change of photo and subsequent charge is as the OP states a complete rip off.

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 07:38 #11 

calibrax
Also, you'll find it difficult nowadays (particularly in the US) to hire a car if you don't have the photo licence.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 07:45 #12 

Duncan

Interesting way of winning people over to your point of view, particularly as a first post.

Suggest you check your facts before calling people dumb. Doesn't half make you look, well, dumb actually.

:evil:

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 19:20 #13 

Patrick
Sorry!

I remember when the control freaks that was our last government introduced the ID card come driving license, they did say people with the paper license could keep it forever. I did not realise that it had the caveat, or until you move!

Believing what a Labour government says, now that is dumb!

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 12:12 #14 

PaulT
calibrax wrote:Also, you'll find it difficult nowadays (particularly in the US) to hire a car if you don't have the photo licence.

Think you can certainly apply that to the whole of Europe.

Also is it so bad? Reverse the roles and you now have a car hire establishment and someone comes in with a piece of paper and you hire him a car and never see it again. Now the new style licence has a photo on it (remember you go nowhere without a passport that has a photo) and yes, they can be forged but not as eaily as a paper one, is the person hiring the same as the person shown on the licence.

I do object to changing thinks like licences and passports - you look at the new photo and compare it with the old and are suddenly aware as to how you have aged.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 12:30 #15 

Patrick
I hired a car in Cyprus last year with the old driving license and Passport. I can't remember being asked for a driving license in the States - just sight of the Passport again.

Had to show the paper jobby to a Policeman who had stopped me for speeding in the US and he commented that it did not have a picture on it so told him that "free men don't have ID cards" - he looked perplexed but still gave me a summons to appear in court in a couple of months time. Needless to say I did not appear but they did write to say I made been found guilty and been fined. If I did not pay they would get my license withdrawn. I didn't and they couldn't!

Was slightly worried the next time a went to the US but nothing happened!

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 16:21 #16 

Bermudan 75
This thread has rekindled in my mind the memory of a Jasper Carrott sketch.

Back in the old days of the red driving licence in little booklet form, he was on holiday in the US.

He was stopped for speeding by the Highway Patrol. Upon inspecting his license the policeman said, " Gee you are one hell of a driver, you have been endorsed three times".......

:cheers:

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 17:27 #17 

raistlin
OK,

I did the deed today and I have to say that, at least at Wolvo Post Office, the whole process DID have a dedicated member of staff, a separate counter and an automated photo booth. So as far as that goes, no problem. I still resent having to pay though ;)
Paul

Posted 18 Aug 2010, 11:05 #18 

Zeb
My OH and I did our own photos...without any issues.... ;)

Posted 18 Aug 2010, 11:44 #19