Ride comfort and noise levels by raistlin

raistlin
Not a 75 / ZT but nonetheless, hoping for some knowledgeable advice please:-

My car has 18" wheels and received wisdom has it that, as a result of the necessarily lower profile of the tyres, ride comfort and noise level will be compromised.

Today I had the opportunity to ride in an S Type with 17" wheels and higher profile tyres and to be honest, I couldn't discern a difference.

I really like the wheels on my car but was happy to give them up for the assumed better comfort and noise of 17".

Please, does anybody have any views on the differences between 18" and 17" wheels?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 17 Apr 2015, 19:02 #1 

Duncan
Though the tyre itself has more influence on noise, I have to agree with the opinion that lower profile tyres tend to a less comfortable ride. My V6 has 55 profile 16 inch wheels, whereas my Skoda has 40 profile 18 inch. Chalk and cheese on my way to work. Of course the lower profile tyres make the handling so much better. So bottom line is what roads do you drive on? As for noise, the tyre type is much more important than the profile.

Posted 17 Apr 2015, 19:08 #2 

raistlin
Mostly the awful M54 Duncan.
Paul

Posted 17 Apr 2015, 19:11 #3 

Duncan
Then I would say the profile will make little difference, but the tread pattern and compound will. I always notice when I change between the Avon winters and the Continental summers on the Superb. Quite noticeable on the Fabia too, the Continental winters being quieter than the OEM summer Hankooks. It becomes quite noticeable when you have the same wheels but with different tyres on, and swap backwards and forwards as it were.

Posted 17 Apr 2015, 19:18 #4 

Trebor
I've had 19s on my 75 for a while now Paul with low profile tyres and just fitted 17 inch serpents, ride now is softer but as I also travel on the M54 to and from work so not a great deal of difference, as for noise probably comes down to quality of the tyre , those are nice wheels on your car so why change unless you buy the others as a spare set and change at will
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 Apr 2015, 05:47 #5 

raistlin
Voice of reason as ever Rob - thanks mate :)
Paul

Posted 18 Apr 2015, 07:26 #6