Replacing rear door handle and blank lock housing by richardwjackson

richardwjackson
Can anyone give me any advice on the best way to go about this?

Can it be done without removing the door card? I've tried removing the card but things started 'falling off' and decided to put it back together again in fear of making things worse.

Not very good with this sort of thing!

Any help/photos would be much appreciated.

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 11:57 #1 

raistlin
No, I don't believe it can.

Door card is easy to remove though :)

No photos but a quick run through:-

1. Remove the cross-head screws from the air vent and the interior door latch handle. Prise the switchpack out and disconnect the connectors.

2. GENTLY pull the door card away from the lower edge of the door ( no more than an inch) and work either way along the door, popping the clips out.

3. Do that until you've popped out all the peripheral clips to the top front and top rear edges of the trim panel.

4. Panel should feel loose apart from in the centre.

5. With the heel of your hand, sharply slap the bottom edge of the door panel upwards, sharply but with little force. This should pop the two centre clips off.

6. Carefully ease the panel away from the door until you can see the rear of the interior door latch handle

7. slide the door latch handle assembly towards the rear of the door until the big plastic locator at the front has moved entirely away from the trim panel.

8. Gently turn the door latch assembly until it can slide out of the door trim panel to the rear. THERE IS NO NEED TO DISCONNECT THE ASSEMBLY FROM THE CABLE.

9. Thread the switchpack cables out of the door trim panel

10. There should be two square shaped plastic clips attached to the sprung tines on the centre of the door.

11. Remove those clips using pliars to compress the sprung steel tines and OBSERVING ORIENTATION, slide them into the metal housings on the back of the trim panel

12. BEWARE, the metal housings are damnably sharp.

That's all there is to it :)

Does that help at all?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 12:14 #2 

richardwjackson
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

I actually got the door card off (I think it had been off before to be honest) but the door lock pin dropped out....so that scared me as I've haven't got a clue how to get the thing back in. :em:

The inside of the door was covered with plastic, I couldn't see a thing, so decided to give up really and put the door card back together (without the door lock pin). :x

If i can't do it form the outside I'm going to let a professional do it because I will end up doing more damage than good.

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 12:36 #3 

takestock
richardwjackson wrote:Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

I actually got the door card off (I think it had been off before to be honest) but the door lock pin dropped out....so that scared me as I've haven't got a clue how to get the thing back in. :em:

The inside of the door was covered with plastic, I couldn't see a thing, so decided to give up really and put the door card back together (without the door lock pin). :x

If i can't do it form the outside I'm going to let a professional do it because I will end up doing more damage than good.

Surely somebody at the cheshire meet could do that for you matey, shame i cannot make it :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 12:44 #4 

Last edited by takestock on 15 Jun 2010, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

richardwjackson
takestock wrote:Surely somebody at the cheshire meet could do that for you matey, sham i cannot make it :(

Hi Dave. Yes, hopefully someone there with better knowledge can sort it for me.

I thought you only needed to remove the door card to locate the pin that holds the door lock blank in position. After that is secured doesn't the door handle just 'slot in'. Or is that far too simple? ;)

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 13:00 #5 

takestock
richardwjackson wrote:
takestock wrote:Surely somebody at the cheshire meet could do that for you matey, sham i cannot make it :(

Hi Dave. Yes, hopefully someone there with better knowledge can sort it for me.

I thought you only needed to remove the door card to locate the pin that holds the door lock blank in position. After that is secured doesn't the door handle just 'slot in'. Or is that far too simple? ;)

Once you have carefully teased the soundproofing off the door and the window is fully closed you should be able to see the door lock assy. Right at the very back of this assy you will just be able to see the end of the clip sticking out of the lock, this needs to be flicked to the rear of the car, only about 10mm or so, this releases the outer blank. it just pulls out or pushes in. then return the clip to its original position. I have always removed the glass and trim to get to it as it was easier for me to see the damn clip from the top. :)

The pop up pin on the door is just a push fit into a green plastic clip on the lock, sometimes these break when removed though.

HTH
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 13:13 #6 

richardwjackson
So when you've got the pin in position how does the main door handle fit on then Dave?

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 13:29 #7 

takestock
richardwjackson wrote:So when you've got the pin in position how does the main door handle fit on then Dave?

Lost me there mate, the pin I reffered to is the pop up bit that goes through the door card

The main door handle, are we talking the inside one that fits on the door card or the outer one that attaches to the door skin? To change the blank, the actual door handle assy is not actually removed. Wish you were a little closer mate, but i'm working away back in N'castle tomorrow early AM :(.

Worst case scenario is i am at the Fathers day rally on the 20th :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 13:47 #8 

richardwjackson
Basically what happened is the blank fell off. Greeners, bless him, sent me a new one. I removed the outer door handle so it didn't fall off without the blank so now I'm trying to get both the blank and outer door handle back onto the door.

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 13:54 #9 

takestock
richardwjackson wrote:Basically what happened is the blank fell off. Greeners, bless him, sent me a new one. I removed the outer door handle so it didn't fall off without the blank so now I'm trying to get both the blank and outer door handle back onto the door.

Ah, the handle just hooks in at the front but has to be kept pulled to the back slightly and slots in the back of the hole quick tap and then and pushes forward, bit of a pain that bit, you have to be a little brave :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 14:11 #10 

richardwjackson
Cheers Dave. If I have any problems I might come and seek your expertise in Leeds on the 20th - my parents live in Mirfield! :D

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 14:37 #11 

DeuxGazoles
takestock wrote:Worst case scenario is i am at the Fathers day rally on the 20th :)

That is a worst case scenario if ever there was one :mrgreen: :gmc:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 14:48 #12 

richardwjackson
Dave, I owe you a pint! :cheers:

Door handle sorted! Woop Woop!! :lol:

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 15:17 #13 

takestock
richardwjackson wrote:Dave, I owe you a pint! :cheers:

Door handle sorted! Woop Woop!! :lol:

Nice one Richard, glad i could help :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 15:26 #14 

raistlin
Oh well,

I won't bother doing it for you at the Cheshire meet ;)

Great news. Good when you win against all odds isn't it? :D
Paul

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 17:38 #15 

richardwjackson
raistlin wrote:Oh well,

Thanks very much for the offer Paul, your help would have been appreciated at the meet.

I don't know what came over me....might try the cambelts and water pump next!!?? :lol:

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 17:54 #16 

raistlin
richardwjackson wrote:
raistlin wrote:Oh well,

Thanks very much for the offer Paul, your help would have been appreciated at the meet.

I don't know what came over me....might try the cambelts and water pump next!!?? :lol:

You seriously need to get yourself to the "all new" nano-meet Richard :D
Paul

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 20:42 #17 

greeners
richardwjackson wrote:Basically what happened is the blank fell off. Greeners, bless him, sent me a new one. I removed the outer door handle so it didn't fall off without the blank so now I'm trying to get both the blank and outer door handle back onto the door.

Glad it's all sorted..... :mrgreen:

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 23:15 #18