Replacing Jaguar S-Type - seeking diesel 75/ZT by Craig

Craig
Firstly, hello!

I have owned a number of Rovers over the years; 200s, 400s, 600s and 800s, but unfortunately, not a 75 - yet.

Over the last couple of years I have been engaged in a love affair with Jaguars. I had a lovely 1997 XJ 3.2 Sport, which was sadly written off within months of purchasing. I replaced that with my current car, a 2001 S-Type 3.0 V6 SE auto a year ago. It is by far the nicest car I have ever owned.

I visit family South Wales - a round trip of about 300 miles for me. These trips are set to become increasingly regular, so I must look seriously at reducing the fuel costs.

I am soon to advertise my S-Type for sale, but first, I'd like to see if there are any 75/ZT owners who might be interested in a deal. I'd quite like to maintain the level of specification, in terms of trim and equipment. I'd be interested in a 75 Connoissuer SE, or perhaps a ZT+. I am particularly keen for the replacement to have cruise control and (working!) climate control. I am fairly open to either manual or automatic transmission, with perhaps a very slight lean towards the latter.

If this sounds like it might be of interest, please feel free to ask me any questions.

Posted 09 Jul 2011, 16:27 #1 

Duncan
It's worth having a read round as there are a few threads on fuel economy. I would make sure you look at a manual, as automatics are not as economical as you might expect them to be for a diesel.

Of course, most of us here are biased, but I'm sure a lot will agree that your big cat is only the best car you've owned because you've not owned a 75 yet ;-). That is apart from the ZT owners who may differ. Of course, they will be wrong if they do :gmc:

Posted 09 Jul 2011, 17:19 #2 

Craig
Hi Duncan, thanks for the reply.

Last year, after my XJ was written off, I looked seriously into 75 and ZTs. But the S-Type came along at a very good price and I haven't looked back since!

I'm aware of the consumption difference between manual automatic cars. But you have to bear in mind that even an automatic diesel 75 will be a massive improvement over my S-Type, in fuel consumption terms! Besides, I recall reading and hearing of the huge bills and heartache associated with clutch repairs. Of course, the Jatco auto 'box has its critics, too. Like anything, it'll be all about weighing up the pros and cons.

And yes. 75s are lovely cars - their owners certainly speak highly of them - but I don't really expect them to be as nice as an S-Type. (Sorry!)

Posted 09 Jul 2011, 18:44 #3 

PaulT
Craig wrote:And yes. 75s are lovely cars - their owners certainly speak highly of them - but I don't really expect them to be as nice as an S-Type. (Sorry!)

Oh ye of little faith......

Be interested how many of the members rush forward to exchange a 75 for an S Type

Still, you might find a ZT owner who wants to upgrade :gmc: :mrgreen:
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 09 Jul 2011, 19:28 #4 

Craig
Sorry Paul! Seriously, I remain open minded on the subject - but the S-Type is such a nice car that it will be hard to beat.

I don't really expect too many diesel 75 owners to be interested - they almost certainly value the fuel economy. It was always going to be a long shot. One possible scenario would be where someone has had a big drop in the length of their commute and simply fancies a change. Or, dare I say it, an upgrade! :lol:

Posted 09 Jul 2011, 19:44 #5 

PaulT
Craig, you may well find someone who does fancy a change - best of luck
Paul

Posted 10 Jul 2011, 06:44 #6 

kandyman
Hi Craig and welcome to the community,

Good luck in you hunt for a diesel.

Where about's are you based as there might be a member nearby with a diesel that you could meet up with,

Posted 10 Jul 2011, 09:33 #7 

Craig
Hi Andy - and thanks.

I am in west London / Middlesex, about 5 miles from Heathrow. I've updated my profile information accordingly.

It would be nice to meet any local members.

Posted 10 Jul 2011, 11:08 #8 

Wilsy
Yet again some 75 owners showing contempt towards the the ZT. This snobbery is quite sad really. It must be an optional extra when you buy a 75. I have encountered it when attending shows and it really does make me smile.
Wilsy

MGZT 190+

Posted 01 Aug 2011, 09:03 #9 

JohnDotCom
Wilsy wrote:Yet again some 75 owners showing contempt towards the the ZT. This snobbery is quite sad really. It must be an optional extra when you buy a 75. I have encountered it when attending shows and it really does make me smile.

I don't think members on here are showing contempt, (please note the smileys in ZT post,)
I've had both and the 75 is more of a relaxing lounger with all the refinements of class, :lol:
the ZT is more of a "sports" variety with harder drive (suspension) but a more positive feel on the road.
Both 75 and ZT Diesels are the same performance so you takes your choice on options and ride you want.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Aug 2011, 13:59 #10 

johnwh74
Craig i would be interested. I will send you a private message. John
Nottingham Forest Forever

Posted 01 Aug 2011, 23:29 #11 

PaulT
PaulT wrote:
Craig wrote:And yes. 75s are lovely cars - their owners certainly speak highly of them - but I don't really expect them to be as nice as an S-Type. (Sorry!)

Oh ye of little faith......

Be interested how many of the members rush forward to exchange a 75 for an S Type

Still, you might find a ZT owner who wants to upgrade :gmc: :mrgreen:

Nothing to do with snobbery but difference. 75 (except Contemporary) shiny bits on the outside and lighter interiors. ZT no bright bits and darker inside plus harder suspension.

The 2, Rover and MG make contrasting models enabling greater choice. You take your pick
Paul

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 22:53 #12