Replacement maf.......... please read. by Russ

Russ
(Trader)
Many thanks to Jon for finding this article, it confirms what I've been suspecting.

www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=74830

It appears that the earlier models of Pierburg maf were not totally compatable with our cars at the time they offered a cheaper alternative to the Bosch maf but were out of spec above 3000 revs.

This seems to confirm my findings on Jon's car when looking at the maf airflow figures on T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System).

The new range of Pierburg it seems are specifically designed to go with BMW engines including ours, and are a more direct replacement.

Good prices on there too will have to look into this further me thinks. ;)

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 23:39 #1 

MrB
Looks promising Russ.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 00:09 #2 

James.uk
Interesting stuff Russ. Does the old PB work OK on some cars because it's linked up to a synergy2? Or is it still running "off" due to not sending temp info to the ECU (Engine Control Unit)?

I have in front of me, the PB MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) that I bought with my Synergy2 (from Greeners) it has a pin head sized bump on it near the flange and on the op side to the ribs. Next to the bump it reads:- i2s. Germany...7.22684.07 On the ribbed side it reads:- >PBT GF 30< so I think it's rather an old one. . :confused:

My car is deff running better with the MAF off = tuner 3.. rather than MAF 2 = tuner 6.. With less soot and slightly better MPG.. But I have a Bosch MAF at the moment that was in the car when I bought it. :) .. Keith had to drill a hole in the air feed pipe on my car to insert the Synergy2 temp wire into (last year) as I thought it was external and had it fixed it to the bulkhead originally. D'ohh.. :em: But there was no noticeable diff from driving it coming back. :confused:

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 00:23 #3 

raistlin
Ooops.

I think my MAF is an older model :( Yes the car seems to run OK with the Synergy.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 05:49 #4 

MrB
Have read this again.

Am I right in thinking that with this newer PB MAF you wouldn't need one of Ron's MAFAMs??

Which PB MAF is Ron supplying currently?
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 08:35 #5 

jonjon77
thanks for putting the link up russ l havent a bloody clue how to do that sort of thing :clap: .
the numbers james has posted up are the same that are on my pierburg maf which is an early one.

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 08:58 #6 

Russ
(Trader)
MrB wrote:Have read this again.

Am I right in thinking that with this newer PB MAF you wouldn't need one of Ron's MAFAMs??

Which PB MAF is Ron supplying currently?

The way I read it according to the fitment list the new Pierburg 7.22684.09.0 model is a direct replacement for the Bosch maf.

If this is the case a Mafam would not be required.

Really I think the only way to be sure would be to test one.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 10:25 #7 

James.uk
Ideally, the "test pilot" would need access to a T4 and a certain amount of expertise re our cars.. Hmmm, anyone come to mind Russ? ;) :lol:

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 11:59 #8 

jonjon77
if my maf needed replacing l would gladly be the test pilot to try the new pierburg but some how james l dont think we will have to wait long before someones maf needs replacing

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 14:46 #9 

MrB
For a start not sure what state mine is in.....
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 16:50 #10 

loz1971
Here's the link to the company the chap on BMWland used:

http://www.airmassmeters.com/

Sounds like this could be a step in the right direction regarding MAF's (possibly) :) :)
:nurse:ALWAYS BE MORE HOPEFUL!!! Image

[centre]"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"[/centre]

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 14:10 #11