Remote control lights - or am I dreaming? by Chartermark (Page 3 of 3)

Chartermark
raistlin wrote:The cable loom arrived from Duncan today.

I used it and my own remote control together with a lash-up of relays to provide signals and discriminants in VeeKay and guess what? IT WORKS :D

We just need to get at your car now Martin :)

I guess this project has possibilities other than Martin's requirements as well ;)

I know quite a few people who have tried to gain this modification and have been unsuccessful in their endeavours, I would think there are quite a few people, either disabled physically, or limited by arthritis etc who'd welcome the utility.

I sent the parcel this afternoon Paul, first class, so you should receive it Monday latest?

Just let me know when you can fit me in and I'll be there (foot dipper fitted next Wednesday the 4th.)

Thanks chaps again for your interest and help on my behalf ...

Martin

Posted 30 Jul 2010, 16:14 #41 

raistlin
Students at the Defence College go down for Summer break next weekend Martin so I'll have plenty of time for the following two weeks.

A lot depends upon whether Duncan wants to take part or not.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Jul 2010, 16:29 #42 

Duncan
Hi,

I'm kind of busy for the next few weeks. Some more bits have arrived for the kitchen, amongst other things.

Much as I'd love to come along, if you wait for me it could be the Nanomeet before I get time.

So best to arrange something and I'll drop in if things are unexpectedly quiet.

Posted 31 Jul 2010, 21:07 #43 

raistlin
OK Duncan,

I built the gubbins into an enclosure today. It'll go in the void behind the glovebox and I'll just need to pass four wires across to the LSM (Light Switch Module).

Can you think if there is a convenient permanent 12 volts in the glovebox void?

@ Martin.

Week after next OK Martin? The job should take less than an hour as I've done most of the wiring internally in the enclosure :)
Paul

Posted 31 Jul 2010, 22:10 #44 

Chartermark
Hello Paul,

Any time that week's fine for me, I've sent you a PM ...

Martin

Posted 31 Jul 2010, 23:40 #45 

Chartermark
Paul (Raistlin) and his fellow wiring conspirator Duncan, combined to convert my lighting to full remote control. As you can imagine putting lights on and off for a 'one armed bandit' is tricky at the best of times.

Duncan upon reflection, made up a mini harness, tested it and passed it the 'Wizard'. All I contributed was to buy the necessary bits and pieces and have them delivered to Paul.

I drove to 'Raistlins Cave' today where the alchemy took place. Wires and relays etc all over the place, frightening to contemplate for a layman like me. Worked 'of course' first time, install took about 90 mins.

A welcome snack and coffee and it was time to go. My venerable sorcerer refused all attempts at recompense for both he and Duncan's time and parts.

Oh and a moment of magic when I put my lights on around 8.15 tonight using the remote for the 1st time and wondered how my last inspiration of a giant clothes peg and Duct tape ever worked.

Thank you gentleman - because that's exactly what you are ...

Martin

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 01:33 #46 

raistlin
Pleased to have been of help Martin :)

Could have done with another day or so to chat though. I was riveted.

I'd like to add my own thanks to Duncan, without whom the whole project would have been impossible. His research and development of the LSM part of the job was inspired :D
Paul

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 06:06 #47 

DeuxGazoles
Well done fellas :clap: :clap:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 08:28 #48 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Top quality service by top quality people. :)

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 09:24 #49 

PaulT
Well done Duncan and Paul. :clap:

I suppose the other method could have been to have the headlights permanently enabled via T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) - no doubt though it would have prevented a bit more knowledge about how the car functions being gained.

Now, if you could develop a remote control for me so that when I am driving a long stretch of motorway I could turn it on have sleep during the drive that would be great :mrgreen:

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 09:42 #50 

raistlin
PaulT wrote:Now, if you could develop a remote control for me so that when I am driving a long stretch of motorway I could turn it on have sleep during the drive that would be great :mrgreen:

Theoretically simple to do.

Already done in practice for small scale experiments, Paul :)
Paul

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 10:04 #51 

Dave Goody
Chartermark wrote:Certainly seems to have provoked some interest - I'll leave it with you now then Barry ...

Martin, by the time Raistlin and Duncan have finished you will be driving with a playstation joystick :D Dave

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 10:57 #52 

MrB
Well done guys. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amazing what you guys can do with your electrickery stuff.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 15:38 #53 

Chartermark
Dave Goody wrote: Martin, by the time Raistlin and Duncan have finished you will be driving with a playstation joystick :D Dave

I've written to David Cameron and told him, who needs Trident, when the UK has 'Raistlin Majere' and his electronic workshop?

I did get a bit worried though when Paul gave me the sonic Screwdriver to operate things with.

I've got used to it now, but apparently I mustn't use the extension button, in parallel with the conjabolis function, or the 75 thinks it's under attack and sets off for Gallifrey!

So if I do go missing for a few light years, don't worry I'm sure they've got a T4 there and I'll get back OK?

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 19:43 #54 

raistlin
Hmm,

Sonic screwdriver put me in mind of Doctor Who, which in turn dredged up Torchwood... which in turn brought VERY pleasant thoughts of Eve Myles. Perhaps I shouldn't muse further ;) :gmc:

Martin, the floor switch you provided unfortunately isn't suitable for the requirements of the 75 / ZT.

However, Duncan and I are in discussion, as usual, and after mucho searcho of the 'net between us, have probably found the ideal item :D

It's gonna need a 6 inch diameter hole in yer floor though guv ;)
Paul

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 19:58 #55 

takestock
Nothing but admiration for both of you, not only in this instance but in the way you conduct yourselves throughout the fora.

Utmost respect from me gents
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 20:53 #56 

Chartermark
raistlin wrote:It's gonna need a 6 inch diameter hole in yer floor though guv ;)

Paul,

That's fine, I'll bring the bath plug and chain up with me :lol:

Notice 'Takestock' admires the '55' as well.

What a success that could have been?

Anyway you've done me for tonight - I'm off now in the Tardis with Eve Myles - :bed:

(can I bring her on Saturday?)

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 21:56 #57 

Duncan
Chartermark wrote:Anyway you've done me for tonight - I'm off now in the Tardis with Eve Myles - :bed:

(can I bring her on Saturday?)

You had better!

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 06:47 #58