Remote control lights - or am I dreaming? by Chartermark (Page 2 of 3)

Chartermark
Duncan,

Thank you,

Having exchanged with Beejay (Barry), I think he prefers the 2nd manual replacement dial switch method, as per exists in the car, as he already has one spare.

I'd rather ideally a remote device, or a just a two move rocker switch, one click for sides, the second for heads, as a simple extension of the two main functions on the existing set up.

I hardly use the spots, so to avoid complication, if its the non remote route, they can be left to operate as they are normally.

I hope this helps and I'd like to thank both you and Paul for your kind efforts.

Really much appreciated ...

Martin

Posted 24 Jul 2010, 22:54 #21 

phenonix
Watching this thread with anticipation! :thumbsup:

Posted 25 Jul 2010, 21:38 #22 

Chartermark
Dear Duncan and Paul, and readers everywhere

I've been looking at a few remote control switch operators myself.

I sent the 75's details off to a Stateside company who replied viz;

'You need someone to figure out how the light switches work, whether is is a direct 12 volt feed, negative, or other type of output from the switch. You can then wire in this'

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=13173

'We have no info on your car since it is not an U.S. Car' / ends

I'm quite happy to buy it, if it makes the job easier - what do you think?

Martin

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 00:00 #23 

raistlin
Martin,

I'm not sure that you need a 12 channel device.

If you want a recommendation, can I suggest This one?

You will then have one or two spare channels for future expansion in addition to what you need now.

I'm sure Duncan will have a recommendation as well :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 05:25 #24 

Chartermark
Hello Paul,

Looks ideal thank you,

Would it be easy to fit?

I did have remotes supplied in my company cars, (same model as I have now incidentally) and they were excellent to use, also the last one had a 'spare' fob, like your recommendation has I notice. This was very handy to have, in case I misplaced one, or it fell down the side of a seat in the dark!

In the early days of their appearance (first was fitted in late 2001) however, the remote was big enough to kill whales with!

How quickly technology develops ...

Martin

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 10:52 #25 

raistlin
Chartermark wrote:Would it be easy to fit?

Yes indeed Martin. Were it not so then I shouldn't be able to do so ;) :lol:
Paul

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 11:08 #26 

Chartermark
Paul,

I'm sure your being very modest, having read some of your achievements to date ...

I'll order the AS3180 (ASSEMBLED 4-channel UHF Remote Control (with 1 Keyfob) and get an extra fob for good measure too.

I'll let you know when it arrives and when convenient to you, arrange to travel up for your kind assistance in fitting?

My wife who gets most animate when I perform disproportionate contortions to put on the lights will be very relieved and to be honest I'll be more relaxed too, especially as the shorter days approach?

Martin

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 12:33 #27 

raistlin
No problem at all Martin, but we need to have Duncan's wiring done as well.

Perhaps a meeting at a convenient location?, My place? Duncan's?
Paul

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 13:52 #28 

Duncan
As soon as I have the bits to make up the lead, I'll do so. I may struggle for time for a few days with various thing going on, but if the bits arrive in the next couple of days I should be able to build and test the theory.

If that works, we can agree how to get it remoted, and fitted to cars. Paul, thanks for your offer on the remote control bit, I suggest you do that bit as you've used the kits plenty. Can you confirm the relays are changeover, we would need to use the normally closed contacts and open them to switch the lights on. We may also need to ensure that the headlight relay can only operate once the sidelight relay is operated to avoid the LSM (Light Switch Module) thinking it's got a faulty switch.

I'll update as soon as the bits arrive.

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 18:11 #29 

raistlin
Relays are, as you say, changeover Duncan.

I imagine the output from the sidelights receiver relay might be used as an enabling discriminant for the main lights. :)

@ Martin. I assume the main beam / dipped beam controller is now floor operated as we discussed some time ago?

Duncan and I are in contact as to when it might be mutually convenient :) We both have commitments for a week or so but some time after that...
Paul

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 18:14 #30 

Chartermark
Hello Paul,

The dipper is booked in to be floor mounted on August the 4th, with the local Ex-rover dealer.

I've ordered the control and spare fob, so just contact me when you can spare some time and I'll fit in with you.

The person I have to see in Telford is back in the UK from August the 7th by the way, so it could all fit in quite well.

Thank you both again most sincerely and I'll PM you when I have the remote to hand, just to confirm.

Martin

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 18:39 #31 

raistlin
With floor mounted dip switch installed, everything else should fall neatly into place Martin :)
Paul

Posted 26 Jul 2010, 18:44 #32 

Duncan
OK. Good news.

Bits arrived and I've made up a lead, and the theory works.

Good news is, it simply plugs in. You have to take off the front panel of the light switch, plug it in, feed some wires through and clip the front back on.

The next bit which I haven't done any work on (and won't be able to for just over a week) is adding the remote switch or remote control system. Saying that, I think Paul has more experience of those boards, so I'll discuss next steps with him.

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 19:47 #33 

raistlin
Duncan is shipping the leads he made up to me Martin. I'll test the function using VeeKay and also decide where to fit your remote receiver.

I also need to ensure the functions are setup so that headlights on is dependent on sidelights being on.

You can either send me the remote when you get it for final functional setup and checks or wait until you bring the car :)
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 19:58 #34 

raistlin
Circuit to ensure that headlights are dependent on sidelights didn't take long to work out :)

Sidelights signal from remote receiver also provides 12 volt supply / discriminant for headlights, in turn switched by headlights signal from receiver. :D

Seeemples.
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2010, 20:40 #35 

Chartermark
Hello Paul and Duncan,

Thanks for your ongoing efforts on my behalf ...

The remote and fobs arrived this morning, I purchased the option that's made up, by the way.

If you PM me your address I'll send the hardware off tomorrow?

Many thanks,

Martin

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 17:20 #36 

raistlin
PM on it's way Martin
Paul

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 18:12 #37 

Duncan
Parcel despatched to you today Paul.

D

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 19:17 #38 

raistlin
The cable loom arrived from Duncan today.

I used it and my own remote control together with a lash-up of relays to provide signals and discriminants in VeeKay and guess what? IT WORKS :D

That's a clever bit of lateral thinking Duncan :D :clap:

We just need to get at your car now Martin :)

I guess this project has possibilities other than Martin's requirements as well ;)
Paul

Posted 30 Jul 2010, 14:53 #39 

Last edited by raistlin on 30 Jul 2010, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
Nice one Duncan and Paul, good result.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Jul 2010, 15:26 #40