Reminiscing tonight - a true story by Bernard

Bernard
As it's gone a bit quiet over here at the moment, I thought that I might tell you a little true story.

I was reminiscing about an old friend of mine who died a couple of weeks ago. We were not close but I had known him well for forty years or more.
David had been a shopkeeper, running the old established family business all his life and a stalwart of the small town along with the bank manager (in the days when he was a real Manager) and the local solicitor. Always ready to help anyone in trouble. You get the picture.

He was also a founder member of the local Round Table, where I first met him and where this little tale unfolds.

For those who don't know about Round Table, it was in those days an association of young professional men with the common interests of charity fund raising, generally helping in the community and having a jolly good time whilst doing it. Ours was particularly well known for our ability to have some good fun and fellowship not to mention the levels of drinking accomplished by its members.

Also at that time, when you achieved 40 years of age, you were ceremoniously thrown out and it is about a 'chuckers out' night that I relate.

We had hired the local town hall and had invited a lot of guests from other Round tables. The guys being thrown out that night had written and performed a short revue or series of sketches but that is another story worth telling sometime!

One of the sketches involved the grand entrance of one of the characters. Think pantomime with the entrance of the demon king with a flash and a cloud of smoke.
I was the stage manager for the night and had arranged with David to borrow his mains powered stage flash and smoke machine. This was a device like a small mortar launcher which had to be packed with a small amount of magnesium powder and some chemical or other that gave off a lot of smoke.

Therevue down well with the audience who were seated on 3 sides of the stage in a sort of horseshoe configuration.
The ... er...um... Dancing Girls booked for the evening were also well received but the 'blue' comedian who was part of the package was absolutely rubbish and stormed off the stage in disgust at the barracking that he received.

To be fair, if you haven't suffered a pee take from Round Table then you don't understand what one is but we had previously hired comedians who could handle it and positively make something from a good heckling. Everyone likes to see a good put down of the wise guy in the audience.

The 'comedian' came backstage to complain to me. I was suitably sympathetic (cough, cough) telling him straight that if he didn't get out there and tell some jokes he wouldn't get paid. So, muttering under his breath, he ventured out into the audience who were now getting restless.

As you can imagine, he just did not get a laugh. Meanwhile, I could see David ramming an extra large charge into the flash machine and surreptitiously sliding it to a position behind and almost between the legs of the guy. If anyone else saw this they did not let on and so when David triggered the device the comedian completely disappeared with a huge flash and enough smoke to hide a battleship.

Well, the audience loved it and were quite literally howling and rolling around in tears. I guarantee that the comedian had never had a laugh from an audience anything like it.
But instead of being grateful, he just stormed out, unpaid, shouting "You people just don't know a professional when you see one!"

And that is how I will always remember David, a true gent, who unfortunately died 4 days before his son's wedding.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Jan 2011, 18:16 #1 

Duncan
A great story.

I would like to be remebred so fondly. But not for a while yet....

Posted 21 Jan 2011, 19:00 #2 

JohnDotCom
I agree with above. Great story.
Use to belong to our local Round table till I moved.

I'll just be remembered as that grumpy old sod............. :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 21 Jan 2011, 20:12 #3 

Trebor
nice story Berrnard,. reminds me of when i used to help run a local football club and booked the band for the presentation night.

I hadnt a clue where to book a band from but at the time worked with someone who was in band and took him to his word and booked them

The evening came, some music to start by the DJ, then the presentations and buffet and now onto the main event the live band.

When they started the lead singer leapt into the audience screaming his head off and everyone was looking at each other thinking what the .................!

Turns out they were a punk type band and before punk had really caught on big time, after a couple of numbers noone was dancing and the night was being ruined so i had to pay them to stop singing and revert to the DJ.

I also ran a disco with 2 mates when i was about 18, we got a booking ( our firts and last ) at a local hall which was in a back room behind the bar, the idea was people would get a drink from the bar and wander in but it bever happened, we did have one couple for one dance who left straight after, so we thought sod it , got p****d and played our own music which was rock at the time so Led Zeppelin was throbbing out in an empty room, we decided after that to forget the idea altogether and took up drinking instead

Those were experiences that led me to believe i was no Simon Cowell, but they were happy days of a singlr man
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 21:39 #4 

podge
Great story Bernard,reminds me of the time we went to a fancy dress party,yours truly as Count Dracula! We met some old freinds and all decided to meet up at their house later.Well,much later 2a.m finish...off we all go.Trouble was,when we knocked at their door............we had the wrong address......2.30 a.m "who the hells that at this hour"!......and me dressed as the fanged one :o :o :o :o

Posted 24 Jan 2011, 19:49 #5 

Bernard
podge wrote:Great story Bernard,reminds me of the time we went to a fancy dress party,yours truly as Count Dracula! We met some old freinds and all decided to meet up at their house later.Well,much later 2a.m finish...off we all go.Trouble was,when we knocked at their door............we had the wrong address......2.30 a.m "who the hells that at this hour"!......and me dressed as the fanged one :o :o :o :o

I hope they had a sense of humour. 8-)

Posted 24 Jan 2011, 21:30 #6 

PaulT
Bernard

Your comedian sounds as though he had not learnt his craft. Would have thought the put downs for hecklers would have been one of the first.

Paul Merton has a great one asking the person if he would like him to come to where they work which involves a dark alley, transvestites and a certain act.

Have a DVD of Billy Connolly 'welcoming' a late comer. I do not know how the chap carried on walking to his seat instead of turning round and leaving.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Jan 2011, 08:45 #7 

Bernard
PaulT wrote:Bernard

Your comedian sounds as though he had not learnt his craft. Would have thought the put downs for hecklers would have been one of the first.

Paul

He certainly was useless, unlike the one we had booked another time who had a unique style in putting down a heckler. I can't repeat it here through common decency, suffice to say it was a matter of size.
He later earned notoriety in being found out that he was organising strip shows at Long Lartin prison. 8-)

Posted 25 Jan 2011, 09:53 #8