rear springs..........not....... by 1gp

1gp
well after feeling a knocking on the nsr spring today ,i had a look and found it had snapped .. so ordered a pair of springs £62.00 for a pair... stripped it tonight , to find nsr had broken in three places :shock: . fitted the new one , and then moved on to the osr , to find that one had snapped at the bottom . fitted a pair of mgzt springs , its now loads better on the road , and sits really nice... never even had a clue the osr was even broken ??? , i wonder how many owners out there have broken springs and dont even no :shock: . now its time to move onto the front and replace drop links and a top bearing .... another job for the wkd. :roll:

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 21:52 #1 

JohnDotCom
Most get spotted at MOT time but many get missed even at a MOT as not always easy to spot if gone right at the bottom.
Mine passed with a spring broken in two places one side and the single snap the other.
The service at my Brother's Garage spotted them. All replaced and now working fine again.
To be honest hadn't noticed any difference in the handling characteristics of the car. :roll: :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 21:56 #2 

MrB
One of the reasons took so long for me to get mine was it failed its MOT on broken road springs.

On inspection now it is home it has had new springs both sides at the rear and the passenger side front.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 22:00 #3 

Last edited by MrB on 16 Jun 2010, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

1gp
untill mine snapped , i heard it go, i didnt have a clue they had already gone , both had been broken at the bottom for quite some time " very rusty". :roll: it also failed mot in dec on a osf.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 22:04 #4 

Last edited by 1gp on 16 Jun 2010, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Monkey
My car rides low on the rear. I keep checking the springs but cant see anything broken. The LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) tank and full size spare would add some weight but I'm not sure how much it would cause the car to lower. Car handles superbly though.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 22:04 #5 

1gp
Monk wrote:My car rides low on the rear. I keep checking the springs but cant see anything broken. The LPG tank and full size spare would add some weight but I'm not sure how much it would cause the car to lower. Car handles superbly though.

get it jacked right up high , and take a wheel off so you can get your head and a light right in , you will soon see if it is broken even at the bottom. sounds to me you have a pair thats broke on the last bottom coil. i maybe wrong but it shouldnt sit that low .... is it only a inch or so off the top of the tyre ?

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 22:10 #6 

mark_bonsai
Mine was sitting low on the drivers side for a while. I checked but couldn't see a problem, and it was only when I took it out to fit the ZT190 suspension that I found it broken at the top.

Rides and handles much better now :mrgreen:
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 22:39 #7 

Last edited by mark_bonsai on 17 Jun 2010, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Monkey
1gp wrote:
Monk wrote:My car rides low on the rear. I keep checking the springs but cant see anything broken. The LPG tank and full size spare would add some weight but I'm not sure how much it would cause the car to lower. Car handles superbly though.

get it jacked right up high , and take a wheel off so you can get your head and a light right in , you will soon see if it is broken even at the bottom. sounds to me you have a pair thats broke on the last bottom coil. i maybe wrong but it shouldnt sit that low .... is it only a inch or so off the top of the tyre ?

Probably about 1-1.5inches. Where as the fronts about 3ish inches! Job for the todo list then!

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 07:33 #8 

Duncan
Replaced the rears on both mine now. The tourer even got through an MOT with a broken one: didn't see it myself until post MOT. The saloon had one broken in two places, only spotted after I started a big refurb when a front snapped.

Rovers are not the only cars with this issue: I had an Audi A3 that has had all four sporings replaced. Many other marques and models suffer too.

Posted 18 Jun 2010, 08:50 #9