Rear seat base by raistlin

raistlin
Does anybody know the definitive method for re-securing the front edge of the rear seat base please?

I had the seat up to run a loom for a project and I just cannot get the seat to lock back in place.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 21:47 #1 

SpongeBob
Jumping on it.

Failing that, have a look underneath to see if the clips have become mis-aligned. Mine had when I removed my seat base once so I had to 'tweak' it back with a pair of pliers. They are though, an absolute pig to get back in, aren't they. :(

Posted 05 Sep 2010, 22:05 #2 

raistlin
SpongeBob wrote:Jumping on it.

:lol: Simon, you've met me. You know why that isn't a good idea ;)

Yes, they do seem to be a challenge to re-locate :(
Paul

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 06:52 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Bouncing, or jumping on it as Simon said, is the best way. Make sure the rear clips are located, and then a quick bounce :mrgreen:

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 07:00 #4 

carlpenn
Hi Paul I had mine off not long back, to get the rear spring codes from teh label underneath and it was a nightmare to get back in :( As above the only way is to put weight on the seat by a quick bounce on it etc.

Also make sure all the seat belt clips are through as well or you will be very upset like I was :roll: :gmc:
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 07:12 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
This Know How by Mike and TC may help. It is the removal instructions but may give a better idea of refit procedure.

xpdfdocuments/Car_Interior/Rear_Seat_Cushion_Removal.pdf

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 13:23 #6 

Duncan
Yep, gravity and a large mass. If you need a larger mass than you have available, you know where to ask.

Only time I had trouble was when the frame had been twisted while out: the doors had been closed and bent it out of shape.

Usually only the rear clips are a pain: broom handle with a V notch.

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 20:42 #7 

raistlin
Might end up being a nano-meet job Duncan :)
Paul

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 20:57 #8 

T-Cut
I think the front wire latch attached to the cushion might become slackened/fatigued if handled wrong. You can tighten them with pliers. Here's some photos of the cushion fastenings. I made a simple tool for attaching the rear clips using a bit of broom handle.

Front edge floor clip

Rear floor 'hook'.

Underseat clips

The rear 'eye'

Rear 'eye' Tool

Tool engaged

Pushing 'eye' onto hook

TC

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 14:52 #9 

raistlin
Thanks TC. Useful info :)
Paul

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 15:15 #10 

takestock
I found on mine the front catches had bent an did not grip the catch properly. The clips can be removed, straightened and refitted.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 17:33 #11 

Duncan
To make it clear, the Broom handle idea I mentioned was 'nicked', from TC. Credit where it's due.

And the photos are very helpful.

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 18:45 #12 

RRobson
i have got a definitive way of securing the seats which removes the need to spend hours upon end jumping/bouncing on the seat base to make it clip down.

for this you will need 1 tool, a hacksaw, and this is what you must do:

cut where the orange lines are (first part) on the seat base floor clip, and simply push down on the seat base. one of the legs on the metal clip (the one nearest the front of the car is most desireable) will go into the cut out and lock onto the floor clip. granted it will be harder to frmove the seat base next time, but it is by no means impossible, and probably a lot easier to got off than trying to refit the base. and i garuntee this will work ;)
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 21:13 #13