Rear ended today ! by Trebor (Page 1 of 2)

Trebor
Got rear ended coming home from work today, leaving the M54 at Junction 1 stopped at the bottom of the slip road and BANG !

It was an old Merc which I had noticed coming up really fast behind me when I was leaving the Motorway and he claims that his foot slipped off the pedal.

No witnesses ( well there would have been some but none stopped ) but he had a passenger and I was alone, so far he has been true to his word, we exchanged details and he later phoned me with his insurance details which have been passed on.

I genuinely now have an aching shoulder on the right hand side.

I just hope he admits liability as he did at the time as i have started the ball rolling with a hire car etc

I might get away with a new bumper and replacement of reversing sensors if i am lucky but i doubt if i will source a new bumper, Rimmers have none for starters.

His car has a scratched bumper only

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 06 Oct 2014, 18:21 #1 

Duncan
Sorry to hear that, Rob. Not having a good run at the moment!

Posted 06 Oct 2014, 18:27 #2 

PaulT
Commiserations - but it likes like the bumper did its job and saved the metalwork.

South Lakeland are showing them - but no guarantee they have any
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 06 Oct 2014, 18:49 #3 

squire
Is the bumper beyond repair Rob, I've heard it's possible to plastic weld them sometimes. Not that I know of anywhere round here that does it. The main thing is you're ok other than an aching shoulder. Don't know what you've done to deserve this run of bad luck you're getting, let's hope this is the end of it.
See you at the Nano mate.
Kind regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Posted 06 Oct 2014, 18:53 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bad luck Rob. Sounds like the bloke is genuine so hopefully you'll get sorted very soon. Plenty of used bumpers available, stacks on Ebay. (example) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-FACE ... 46288dbceb
Had it been a Mk1 I have one spare albeit in battleship grey.

Posted 06 Oct 2014, 19:26 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
I can not believe this but my son as just changed his rear bumper PBT because it had a little crack in it I only got rid of it last week.

few on the bay though that will give you an idea of cost Rob
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGZT-facelift ... 3cdf0a4fb5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-MG-ZT-SA ... 2595fac4ed
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 Oct 2014, 01:04 #6 

Trebor
Thanks Steve i will need to talk to the repairers as soon as they contact me and may well have to source the bumper myself
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 07 Oct 2014, 06:48 #7 

raistlin
Flippin' 'eck Rob. You are not having a great deal of luck recently are you?

Thank heavens you're not hurt.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 07 Oct 2014, 07:09 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Oh dear Rob :( Glad you're ok! Hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Posted 07 Oct 2014, 09:33 #9 

Trebor
Phoned the insurance company today and told them i didnt want the car out of my sight so they accepted that I could get a quote from elsewhere if i wanted to but their engineer would have to inspect and approve any repair, took it for quote at Schorades Accident Repair Centre in Cannock but didnt get one !

Apparently i now have to wait for the engineer to call at my home and look it over he will then contact the company who I want to repair it and try and sort out a price, found out today by contacting x parts head office that new bumpers are in stock so thats good but of course it will all push up the price and get closer to the inevitable not worth repairing, the crash beam is also kinked but has done its job well, so it looks like replacing crash beam, bumper, a few bumper fittings and reversing sensors plus spraying the bumper

Been to the doctors who confirms I have whiplash injuries, strange though had no calls today asking if i have had an accident in the last 3 years !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 07 Oct 2014, 18:29 #10 

Jürgen
Sorry to see this, Rob. I hope you'll feel better soon, and that you'll get the car repaired without any trouble.

Posted 07 Oct 2014, 20:25 #11 

Trebor
Thanks Jürgen , you know how it feels and could write a book on the subject !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 08:34 #12 

Trebor
Insurance assssor coming tomorrow i fear write off and buy back looming, had a valuation on the car mid range of about £1500, new bumpers are now available at X part as from today and I have calculated all the new bits come to approx £900 plus labour plus spraying so write off seems favourite at the minute
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 18:46 #13 

PaulT
Perhaps Adrian Flux would like to offer Agreed Value insurance.
Paul

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 21:52 #14 

Devilish
Trebor wrote:I genuinely now have an aching shoulder on the right hand side.

Tsk, that all.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 09 Oct 2014, 06:26 #15 

Devilish
Trebor wrote:i fear write off and buy back looming,

I reckon they will offer you a sum of money to get it fixed yourself without writing it off, if you suggest it.

PS: I hope you sleep on your right side.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 09 Oct 2014, 06:31 #16 

Trebor
Well they think its all over, it is now !

Insurance assessor has just declared my car uneconomical to repair and also spotted a slight dink in the boot floor which will need straightening out ( not much )

Any way to avoid it being declared a write off i have settled on £1500 cash and repair it myself, the price was mid range for a car with my mileage ( 130k ) and he woudnt go any higher without writing it off and me buying it back that way which was an option i didnt want.

So I will contact those of you who have offered me bits to get the ball rolling and with a nano meet coming up next weekend it will give me the opportunity to get it done
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 09 Oct 2014, 10:43 #17 

PaulT
I suppose the good thing is that it was not written off - and it has given you something to pass the time. Just a shame about the whiplash.
Paul

Posted 09 Oct 2014, 11:02 #18 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Probably a very good deal for you. I wouldn't think it will cost in real terms much more than £500. in used parts and a spray job.

Posted 09 Oct 2014, 11:19 #19 

Jürgen
It's a shame how easily our cars are written off nowadays. So I'm glad you managed to avoid that, Rob. (To keep down costs I used a few good second hand parts as well recently ... :roll:)

Posted 09 Oct 2014, 12:49 #20