Rear DVR camera interference ! by Trebor

Trebor
I have recently bought and hard wired into the car a front and rear DVR camera kit, for the money it is a good piece of kit and is working well except for one issue

The rear camera has been mounted on the inside of the car in the centre of the rear screen on the back of the third brake light cover and is picking up interference

The rear camera is in operation all the time as it is used as a recorder not just a reversing camera and when unplugged the interference virtually disappears

I have noticed that the further to the left of the screen i move the camera towrads the drivers side the less the interference and reckon this is because it is picking up something from the OEM amp situated in the pillar on the rear passenger side.

I had thought of fitting an isolater in the wiring to the camera but it is only receiving 5 volts so would need one that reduces 12v to 5v and a quick search on the bay of E has found nothing.

I could possibly move the amp by extending the wires on the rear screen glass which would allow me to move it into the boot area or I could even fit it in the front of the car but am not 100% sure if this would work

Another option may be to disconnect the OEM amp at the back by just unplugging it and fitting a new radio aerial with amp in the front of the car.

Does anyone know if radio aerials are available that look like the GPS ones ? ( a small black box ) and powered that i could maybe fit in the front ?

Any solutions, suggestions or ideas much appreciated
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 25 Nov 2014, 13:23 #1 

Mad-Monkey
Have you tried some foil backed cardboard over the amp between the camera? Might be a work around.

Posted 25 Nov 2014, 15:51 #2 

Trebor
Thanks Dave tried foil but not cardboard based, maybe worth a try
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 25 Nov 2014, 15:53 #3 

Mad-Monkey
I only suggested cardboard based for rigidity and to help reduce any potential shorts. If you've tried foil I doubt you'd get any success.

Do you need the amp? I don't recall fitting mine on the old 190 and the radio worked just as well.

Posted 25 Nov 2014, 15:55 #4 

Duncan
My guess is you've got some kind of ground loop. Does the camera have a ground connection? If yes, is it connected at the back of the car and the receiver or another camera connected at the front?

Posted 25 Nov 2014, 19:25 #5 

Trebor
Thanks for the post Duncan it might help if i explain the wiring and how it has been hard wired

The main DVR recorder with the front camera built in sits on top of the windscreen and is fed by 2 Jack plugs

The first one has a 12v cigarette lighter plug on one end and the plug that goes into the camera on the other. It has been hard wired without cutting the cigarette lighter plug off but by soldering 2 wires to it which then go to live and ground and situated at the front of the car inside the courtesy light unit. This provides power to the unit with ignition on and works well as it powers up and closes down automatically on starting and switching off the engine. ( I have fed the switched live up the side pillar drivers side and under the roof lining to get it into the courtesy light unit , the original intention was to feed off the sunroof switch but that's not 12v )

The other plug comes directly from the rear camera and the wiring is tucked inside the roof lining and then plugged into the unit at the front. This plug has 3 wires which I assume must be live ground and video so to answer your question in a long winded way it is not connected to ground at the rear of the car but via the lead which plugs into the camera at the front and to repeat the rear camera is operating on 5 volts
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 26 Nov 2014, 09:26 #6 

Duncan
Thanks Rob. So unless the cable has got trapped somewhere and the insulation broken it rules out my theory.

Posted 26 Nov 2014, 17:37 #7 

raistlin
I've just seen this. If you'd mentioned it on Monday I could have done a few tests :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 26 Nov 2014, 19:11 #8 

Trebor
Sorry Paul when I got back home I thought I could have asked your advice but it just slipped my mind, next time we get together maybe if it's not fixed before
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 26 Nov 2014, 20:25 #9