Rear Disc Drum & Pads by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Hopefully the photo's below will help the owner/members whom want to tackle and change their rear drum discs & rear brake pads, this is how I do mine not necessarily the way everyone would do it but it works well in my opinion.

Jack the rear of the car up using the centre rear jack, high enough to add axle stands.
Image1

Add axle stands to each jacking point of the car or trailing arm.
Image2

Remove the rear wheels
Image3

Image4

Tools that you will need to use, rubber hammer, 50Torx, 7mm Allen key,& bit, pry bar small, 13mm 6 sided spanner or ratchet ring spanner, it's better to have both, wire brush, flat bladed screw driver, small bungee spring or cable ties and a dust mask.
Image5

With the wheel off inspect the pads visually.
Image6

As you/we are removing the drum disc either for replacement or to clean out, remove the disc holding torx screw 50torx
Image7

Image8

Next remove the caliper retaining spring.
Image9

Image10

Using the flat bladed screw driver prise out the brake slider dust caps two of, top & bottom.
Image11

Image12

Bottom one.
Image13

You now need to check & look at the brake fluid reservoir, to see how much fluid is in the bottle, as some may have to be removed first, because you maybe adding new pads.
Image14

Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap.
Image15

Now replace the cap but only loosely half a turn maybe or just leave resting on the top.
Image16

You can now start to remove/undo the caliper sliders 7mm Allen key,& the rubber hammer are used for this procedure, insert the Allen key & tap the Allen key upwards on the NS.
Image17

Do the bottom slider as well tapping upwards this will or should crack the joint.
Image18

I have a small socket with a piece of the Allen key cut off so once cracked open I use that to remove the slider.
Image19

Image20

Image21

I do top first then the bottom, using the socket is a bit quicker, but you can use the Allen key alone, you will have to cut off about 20mm/25mm from the original Allen key as it is a bit to long.
Image22

Image23

As I was changing the brake pads & discs I used the pry bar to very slowly tease the pads away from the disc.
Image24

slow pressure only is needed, at a slow rate.
Image25

Don't forget to check on the brake fluid quite often as you do not want it to overflow as the pads are pushed backwards,& the piston in.
Image26

Now the pads are pushed backwards use the bungee spring or /cable tie? which ever you have to hand, thread it through the rear spring
Image27

Now remove the caliper holding the brake pad.
Image28

Sometimes the front rear brake pad will remain behind remove this too.
Image29

You are now ready to remove the second part of the caliper you will need the 6 side 13mm spanner & or the 13mm ratchet spanner for the job, six side spanner is best to crack the joint.
Image30

The rubber hammer can also be used the crack these bolts, they are sometimes really hard so use a 6 sided spanner if you can they grip better, even better than that is an aviation long 13mm ring spanner but I doubt one will be to hand.
Image31

Next do the bottom one, also again use the rubber hammer to crack the bolt.
Image32

Image33

Totally remove the two 13mm bolts
Image34

You can now remove the back of the caliper, all these parts will need to cleaned up before re-fitting.
Image35

Lay the parts next to your working tools.
Image36

Next inside the car either remove the handbrake cover and undo the front adjuster to the top of the thread, then lower the hand brake off completely, as this will help the disc drum to be removed.

Remove the disc drum
Image37

If you find it is still hard to remove the disc drum tap it off with the rubber hammer.
Image38

Tapping the disc both sides until it comes off, if you still have trouble then through one of the stud holes locate the knurled nut and back it off downwards.
Image39

Image40

Now you have the disc drum off the brake shoes can be inspected or change which ever you need to do, refitting is reverse of removing.

Cleaning up the shoes and back plate, this is done with the wire brush wear the dust mask at all times when cleaning the shoes & back plate.
Image41

as you can see dust builds up, so the shoes will always need wire brushing before a new disc drum is fitted or even the old disc drum.
Image42

Image43

clean both the shoes and the back plate.
Image44

Image45

Once cleaned tape up the shoes, then spray or brush paint the rear back plates.
Image46

Image46A

Don't forget to clean & copper grease the back part of the caliper
Image47

Do both sides one after the other then re-build them job done, use a little bit of copper slip/or ceramic brake grease on the rear of the pads.
Image48

Image49

Double check everything before re-fitting the back wheels.
Image50

Cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Apr 2019, 17:53 #1 

Last edited by Arctic on 07 Oct 2019, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
As usual Steve a great How To.

Mike

Posted 02 Apr 2019, 19:42 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Nice job Steve, Thanks for another brilliant how to.

Posted 02 Apr 2019, 21:56 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Thank you guys my pleasure front disc & pad change will be posted as and when I can.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Apr 2019, 00:33 #4 

Last edited by Arctic on 22 Nov 2019, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

squire
Another brilliant "How to" to be added to the list on here, if it's not already there.
Martyn

Posted 04 Apr 2019, 18:02 #5