Rear Brake pads by TyphoonTT

TyphoonTT
Hi guys.

Still getting a rattle from my rear brakes, looking like the Ferrodo pads I bought are a rubbish fit.

Are all the rear pads alike for all models apart from the V8? Just double checking. :gmc:

Thanks

Ben :thumbsup:

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 21:19 #1 

Last edited by TyphoonTT on 15 Oct 2010, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
Only one part number shown on EPC for rear pads (excluding V8)
Part No: SFP100520 Set-pad rear brake system £51.99 + VAT
Members have also recommended Mintex Genuine pads as a alternative.

The ones shown in link are the same with the addition of the SLP at the end of part number.
That means Service Line Part.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 21:28 #2 

TyphoonTT
JohnDotCom wrote:Only one part number shown on EPC for rear pads (excluding V8)
Part No: SFP100520 Set-pad rear brake system £51.99 + VAT
Members have also recommended Mintex Genuine pads as a alternative.

The ones shown in link are the same with the addition of the SLP at the end of part number.
That means Service Line Part.

Thanks for the quick reply John. Sorry for being dim, but what's the difference between all these no.9's :em:
SFP100520
SFP100520P
SFP100520SLP
Quite a difference in price with some , but certainly don't want to end up having to get a third set. :gmc:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001572

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 21:47 #3 

JohnDotCom
The Number on its own it Genuine OEM
The ones with a "P" are a patent part nothing to do with XPart but a copy used by Companies such as Rimmers to fill the order when part shortages or to offer a cheaper version.
The ones with SLP is a Service Line Part, generally taken as a cheaper version of the OEM but distributed by them,
often when OEM one is in short supply, or to offer a cheaper alternative.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 21:53 #4 

TyphoonTT
Makes sense. :) Thanks John. :thumbsup:

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 21:56 #5 

MrB
I have personally been using EBC Green Stuff pads for the last couple of years and have found them to be excellent.

I have used the brakes4u site to buy them, as they seem to be the cheapest.

This linkhttp://www.brakes4u.co.uk/supersearch.asp?supt=1&id=2125&won=1 takes you to the page with the ebc pads on - just enter make and model and it shows you all of the available pads.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 22:27 #6 

Mintman
I prefer the EBC to the Mintex ones,
as they produce less black abrasive dust to encrust. the wheels.

Cheers Mintman

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 17:51 #7 

Duncan
Can't remember if the rears are the same, but the OEM fronts I fitted a couple of weeks back have a self adhesive backing pad. I assume this is to help reduce rattle / squeal.

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 12:22 #8 

TyphoonTT
Hi Duncan.

It just appears to be the outer pads. Inner ones clip into the piston. They are loose in the caliper guides. I can move them around with my fingers at rest by about 1mm all round. :confused:

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 17:03 #9 

JohnDotCom
Would a set of anti squeal plates take up the Gap?
John

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 17:04 #10 

TyphoonTT
JohnDotCom wrote:Would a set of anti squeal plates take up the Gap?

It's up and down movement rather than in and out movement John, most noticable dirving down all the bumpy roads. :(

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 17:09 #11 

mark_bonsai
Got EBC Greenstuff as well. I've also used them for years with no problems and great performance.
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 18:32 #12 

TyphoonTT
Just bought some rear EBC discs and pads for my Dad's ZT-T, again I should have stuck with OEM. :gmc:
Same problem as before ( above )
Discs look fine , but again the pads don't seem correct.

068.JPG

How can the inner pads be different to the outer pads when they are sitting in the same caliper? Again the hammer head ends are flat on the outer pads, so will be loose , as they are a couple of mm narrower. :hissyfit:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 15 Oct 2010, 22:43 #13 

TyphoonTT
Following on from purchasing several sets of aftermarket pads for the rear, I managed to get some feedback from EBC.

I initially found that after replacing my rear pads with Ferrodo pads, I had a constant rattle from the back end. Eventually found that the outer pads were slightly different to the inner pads.

Same with halfords pads and EBC circled in post above.

I contacted EBC who replied, saying they had only recently become aware of the issue, and would happily supply these to correct the problem.

002.JPG

Shim fitted to outer pad.

003.JPG

Hope this may help others avoid the hassle, but as many pointed out to me at the time, best to stick with OEM.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 20 Oct 2010, 21:33 #14 

Mad-Monkey
That is really weird, loads of poeple seem to buy them, how has no one noticed? Has it improved since fitting the spacer jobbys?

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 07:20 #15 

TyphoonTT
I had to buy some more TRW branded pads, as a really needed to get the job done for my Dad last weekend. They were patterned correctly. :confused: I'm sending the EBC ones back. It was just to point out to others really, and good that EBC were happy to sort the problem, unlike Halfords and Ferrodo.

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 16:24 #16