Range distance of key fob by Mick_Gannon

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mick_Gannon
Hi all, at present the range of my key fob is very short when locking the car ie I have to be standing next to the car and even then it takes 1-2 times to open the car, new switchs and batteries were fitted and the light does flash when the button is pressed, is this a common fault? what should I be looking for, my friends car 20' away operates no problem, any help please.

Posted 05 Aug 2014, 07:17 #1 

PaulT
I find I can lock my car from quite a distance but need to be fairly close to unlock it which I thought was quite a good feature.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 Aug 2014, 08:03 #2 

raistlin
If yours is an early car, the receiver is mounted in the centre console "tunnel" just forward of the handbrake. Later cars had the receiver fitted behind the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) with the intention of increasing the range. Changing the location is a simple, if tedious job and will have a beneficial effect. In addition, sticking the key in your ear before pressing a button has a range increasing effect... apparently :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Aug 2014, 09:04 #3 

Duncan
Yes, early cars had a very short range. The position was changed, but also the receive was improved. I moved the receiver on my V6 which is a 1999 built Cowley car, and to be honest it wasn't worth the effort. My 2004 car is way better.

Posted 05 Aug 2014, 19:21 #4 

Mick_Gannon
my car is a 2000 car my friends car 2001 car, can the later reciever be fitted to early cars and does it have to be reprogrammed?

Posted 06 Aug 2014, 12:52 #5 

Duncan
Yes it can be, but you will need to lengthen the wires. No reprogramming, the data is sent coded to the BCU (Body Control Unit) which is the bit that has to be coded. To get a real improvement, the newer ones have a metal strap under a fixing which ideally needs to be connected to the cross car beam inside the dash. I bet a jubilee clip would help.

Posted 06 Aug 2014, 17:01 #6 

Mick_Gannon
Thank you for the help now just need to find one.

Posted 07 Aug 2014, 08:53 #7 

Tootall
I just hold my key fob near my head which helps on the range especially on those moments when you walk away from your car and you think 'Did i lock my car' Mind you with me being 6"6 probably helps as well lol.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 10 Aug 2014, 08:55 #8