Rain sensor retro-fit by Chuckles

Chuckles
I have noticed a crack in the windscreen, so as it is probably the only extra NOT fitted to my PPD Connie, I am thinking, now is the chance to fit the rain sensor wiper kit.

The windscreen will need to be replaced as cracks cannot be repaired, the main thing to make sure is that the screen has the sun strip but also the facility to fit the sensor.

First of all what do I need to look for to ensure a proper fit? (wiring loom etc.)I have the auto dip mirror and microphone for the 'phone already fitted.

If it is a goer, I will need to source all the parts, so any help or pointers who will have new or nearly new parts would be helpful.

Any help chaps (and chapesses of course) would be welcomed.
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 06 Aug 2017, 08:57 #1 

Duncan
The sensors are reasonably easy to source. You obviously need a screen with the fitting of the sensor, and these aren't as easy to come by as you might think. I have seen a few where a rain sensor fitting has been replaced by one without, and the sensor hidden in the owners glovebox. You also need a new mirror surround, and as you say the wiring for the sensor. I think you will also need a ZCS coding change and its not just a tick box in the dealer options, but any experienced T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) operator will know how to recalculate the codes and force the car to ask for them.

Posted 06 Aug 2017, 17:23 #2 

PaulT
I did the retro fit. Was originally going to use some 100% window shading and even cut one out, then I noticed a crack in the windshield so obtained a secondhand windscreen for rain sensing. I had also bought from eBay a correct sticker to the sensor to my existing screen but the replacement screen came with the sensor still attached.

Obtained the harness from the bottom of the O/S A post up into the roof and then just easy to connect the rain sensor and the dipping mirror to this harness.

As Duncan says it needs T4 to enable it - I had previously fitted a message centre IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)). PhilT4 did the enabling and I got him to change the coding for the rain sensing wipers - worked as per normal until I fitted the rain sensor.

As regards the A pillar trim I removed this, ran the harness and then got a windscreen company to remove the old and fit the 'new' secondhand one. I then intended running some additional cabling for a dash cam. The helpful fitter said 'I have replaced the A pillar cover because they are a bugger to fit when the screen is in.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 06 Aug 2017, 20:03 #3