RAC can’t get it going! by Lightpainter

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Lightpainter
First time the car wouldn’t start this morning, perfectly ok yesterday, called the RAC home start but he had no luck getting it to start, put his computer in the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) and it came up with error code’s

P1470 Variable Intake balance valve (Always open)
P1472 Variable Intake Butterfly Valve (Always Open)
P1477 Variable Intake Butterfly Valve (Always Open)

Said I would have to get it booked into a garage for repair, but they would pick it up and deliver it back.

As EMS has now closed anyone know of another garage that undertakes rover repairs in the Medway area?

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 12:42 #1 

Duncan
Can't help with a garage, but the fault codes are for your VIS (Variable Intake System) motors. Wouldn't cause it to not start.

Did he check fuel pressure? Sounds like a fuel pump come apart jobby to me.

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 13:42 #2 

Lightpainter
He didn’t test the pressure as such but he got plenty of fuel out from the bleed nipple!

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 14:29 #3 

geesmith
I hope you get this sorted... It would make such a refreshing and novel inclusion to the forums if someone posted ..."RAC got my car going".

The guy that came out to my sick motor checked 'both' rear pumps....and said they were okay (apparently because 'they' weren't in two pieces....on my CDT!)....it transpired that the in tank pump was in fact dead. My guy didn't even try the advanced stuff like turning on the ignition and listening for the pump.

I think if they claimed that they would turn up (but nothing more, beyond towing you home at great expense), then that would be a more correct description of their service.

Good Luck.. (I wonder why they don't check the fuses or wave a multi-meter around a little).

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 15:14 #4 

Duncan
Lightpainter wrote:He didn’t test the pressure as such but he got plenty of fuel out from the bleed nipple!

You can stil get that with fuel filter syndrome, I believe. It just can't get the pressure high enough for the injectors. Certainly the first place to look if your car is not an early one.

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 15:55 #5 

JohnDotCom
Orange clip quite common...........
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 20:47 #6 

Duncan
JohnDotCom wrote:Orange clip quite common...........

Is this the four word story? :gmc:

Sorry, but in case Johns comment isn't obvious, the cure for the fuel filter coming apart is a little orange clip that stops it happening again. Sometimes known as a fabled orange clip.

All petrols except the early ones have an assembly that comes undone without the clip. Fuel is still delivered but not with enough pressure as it leaks out internally.

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 21:16 #7 

JohnDotCom
Sorry guys for brief answer,
was coming back to it, as called away and then forgot on my return. Oops. :em: :gmc:

Thanks Duncan for correct description. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 21:34 #8 

MrB
Also, how much fuel is in the tank?

Could it be that your in tank pump is on its way out and not delivering sufficient pressure?

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 22:24 #9 

Lightpainter
I have to thank all my chums on the forum for coming up trumps with your diagnosis of my problem, it was as you said the fuel filter coming apart, worked on it this morning and it was such a relief to turn the key and the car start first time as usual.
But the question still remains why O why is there such a silly design error in such a normally well engineered Motor!

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 11:07 #10 

Bernard
Lightpainter wrote:I have to thank all my chums on the forum for coming up trumps with your diagnosis of my problem, it was as you said the fuel filter coming apart, worked on it this morning and it was such a relief to turn the key and the car start first time as usual.
But the question still remains why O why is there such a silly design error in such a normally well engineered Motor!

I would have thought that by now they would have this on their database. I believe that other motoring organisations have.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 11:55 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
As far as I am aware both RAC and AA operatives have the information regarding the fuel filter syndrome. It is usually the first thing checked on all petrol derivatives of our cars. Quite why it was not on this occasion can only be down to the individual attending on the day.

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 13:30 #12 

Duncan
MrB wrote:Also, how much fuel is in the tank?

Could it be that your in tank pump is on its way out and not delivering sufficient pressure?

Chris

Does that not only apply to diesels?

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 15:52 #13 

geesmith
It appears to be mix and match Duncan. The guy that came to my car checked to see if the PUMP was in two halves.....on a CDT....so why not introduce the low fuel low pressure syndrome to the petrol version? Other than that I think you're right. :) or are we both wrong...I'll phone the RAC and enquire.......................

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 18:25 #14