Quick! Quick! Before it rains! by Jumper (Page 1 of 2)

Jumper
Malfunction just occurred with sun roof, first time I've used it since last summer! I pushed sliding panel back and I think I pushed it only halfway back. Operated button to open roof which 'clunked' and stopped halfway open. Button now non-operative and inner panel disappeared. I assume (in my ignorance and with nothing to point to) that inner panel has passed the point of no return and risen, preventing the full operation of sliding panel. Please can anyone suggest a suitable course of action: my thatchless pate will suffer unless I maintain the image of hatted Rover driver. Thanks.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 14:12 #1 

Duncan
I think you can manually override the sunroof with a hex key. I may be wrong, though. Is there a little bung with a screwdriver slot, in the centre of the roof headlining, above the rear seats?

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 17:45 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
It's behind the front interior light, that's where the motor resides and there is a hex key slot next to it. The complete light module needs to be released and dropped down to access.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 18:03 #3 

Duncan
OK, thanks Mick. Must have been another model where the motor was at the back.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 18:13 #4 

Jumper
Hello Duncan, there's nothing in the roof like that and I was about to drop the rear interior light when a call came from the galley that another reply had arrived! Thanks Mick, I'll investigate the front one in the morning (long lost friends have just arrived for dinner). The yawning chasm has been covered to keep urban foxes at bay. If, I mean when, I find it, what does it do? Thanks.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 18:15 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Jumper wrote: If, I mean when, I find it, what does it do? Thanks.

It's a wind up........... literally. :)

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 19:19 #6 

1gp
mine did the same thing last wkd , and smoke came out the motor ..... the inner cover kept getting stuck , the clips had broke on it.. lucky for me the motor still worked . i had to use the manual overide.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 20:34 #7 

Jumper
Come to think of it... yes there was a faint whiff of burning but I was following a skip lorry and assumed it was from that. I also found a small black fragment in the channel - I presume that's the clip. So, when I investigate in the morning will I need a 'female' hex key and will it wind the panel shut? And does that mean a burnt out motor? Possible fuse? I've had the car over three years now and this only the second failure I've had (the first being resolved at a nano some time ago by Dave Stocktake and a resistor obtained from Jules) so I count myself most fortunate.

Posted 15 Jul 2013, 22:43 #8 

Jumper

Well, got that far (minus two finger nails) and exposed the motor (see pic). The only apparent hex slot seems to be the drive wheel in the motor (I think) which takes an Allen key. Unfortunately there is no movement either way. Is this the relevant slot or is there another?

Posted 16 Jul 2013, 10:16 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Just read up some more on this.
"The only way to test or move your mechanism manually is to dismantle the motor then put just the gearbox pinion casing back in situ (3 screws) and use an allen key to turn the worm drive
You can test the motor on its own (removed from the roof mechanism but still connected to the wiring harness) It should operate both ways for so many seconds as the electronics in the motor knows how far it needs to travel to move the glass.
If motor is replaced there is a calibration procedure to tell the motor CPU what position the glass is in.That's the one."

You'll probably have to investigate why the roof itself is jammed, perhaps come off the track or part of the channel broken, or the sliding shade may have broken and bits of plastic have jammed the roof. Sorry can't help much further.

Posted 16 Jul 2013, 10:31 #10 

Jumper
Many thanks Mick, sounds a bit beyond me. I think the last resort beckons - garage.

Posted 16 Jul 2013, 10:55 #11 

1gp
The roof is jammed as the panel is stuck , you have already found broken clips ... and you dont have to dismantle the motor to get it to move , just put a allen key in the hex hole and turn , it moves very easy . as you turn it, you will be able to free the stuck panel .. the motor wont be burnt out "mine didnt", it just started to smoke with the high amps.... when it had cooled down it worked fine ...

Posted 16 Jul 2013, 21:28 #12 

Jumper
1gp wrote:The roof is jammed as the panel is stuck , you have already found broken clips ... and you dont have to dismantle the motor to get it to move , just put a allen key in the hex hole and turn , it moves very easy . as you turn it, you will be able to free the stuck panel .. the motor wont be burnt out "mine didnt", it just started to smoke with the high amps.... when it had cooled down it worked fine ...

Thanks for that. The roof is jammed, not the slightest movement in either direction, and the motor does not respond at all. Tried the Allen key but it wouldn't budge in the slightest. Looks like the headlining will have to be dropped and maybe even the rear screen outed. Doomed!

Posted 17 Jul 2013, 11:24 #13 

Duncan
I would think you could take out the roof lining via a rear door, though you would probably need the front seats and maybe console out. Not as severe as the rear glass, though.

EDIT: workshop manual says you can do it just by reclining the seats fully, and removing through a rear door.

Posted 17 Jul 2013, 16:53 #14 

Jumper
Thanks Duncan. Sounds likely that I would be getting into deeper waters that might take a lot of getting out of! I have spoken to a local garage who seem to know the problem and have an appointment with them next Monday. Hope they take pity on me!

Posted 18 Jul 2013, 10:57 #15 

RichardGarner
I had the same happen with my sunroof, jammed solid! I'm hoping to take the roof lining out and have a closer look next weekend! Lets hope your local garage can get it sorted for you!

Posted 21 Jul 2013, 21:26 #16 

Jumper
RichardGarner wrote:I had the same happen with my sunroof, jammed solid! I'm hoping to take the roof lining out and have a closer look next weekend! Lets hope your local garage can get it sorted for you!

They are 'looking at it' now. One hand on my credit card, the other on a Gideon thingy.
Never used these people before, but they seem pleasant and knowledgable and premises are spotless and professional with plenty of Old English Iron about. We'll see.

Posted 22 Jul 2013, 10:38 #17 

Bermudan 75
...and an eye on the weather forecast I think... hope you get it sorted.

Mike

Posted 22 Jul 2013, 13:16 #18 

Jumper
Well, it’s three kinds of news. Brilliant, good, and not-so-good. The not-so-good is a lot better than expected, so good anyway.

Brilliant: great garage, friendly staff who are good at what they do. Quoted a price for my belts which is enormously better than any I’ve had elsewhere.
Good: Sun roof now securely closed whilst awaiting new motor (apparently it’s the same as the Smart car!). He has a new assembly (cassette?), acquired five years ago but never used and has now got my name on it.
Not-so-good: All the above adds up, but only to around half what I expected.

Best of all? Found a garage I trust, that knows the cars, and within walking distance.
What a day. And just in time for the thunder storms! Thanks for all the replies!

Posted 22 Jul 2013, 18:03 #19 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Good news indeed. :) I had a feeling the motor would be shot when you were unable to operate the manual override.

Posted 22 Jul 2013, 18:10 #20