Printer problem.. by Zeb

Zeb
I have been reduced to buying compatible ink cartridges for my Canon Mp600r :? ...half the price...the Black and Yellow seem fine but the Magenta and the Cyan are not recognised by the printer / software....any suggestions folks?

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 12:54 #1 

RRobson
are they genuine cannon catridges? if not then that will be the problem. printer manufacturers now sell printers cheap, but then charge a fortune for ink. good way of making money...
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 14:01 #2 

Zeb
RRobson wrote:are they genuine cannon catridges? if not then that will be the problem. printer manufacturers now sell printers cheap, but then charge a fortune for ink. good way of making money...

No, not genuine but compatible....and the black and yellow work fine.....just the Cyan and Magenta that are not recognised....?

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 15:57 #3 

takestock
Zeb wrote:
RRobson wrote:are they genuine cannon catridges? if not then that will be the problem. printer manufacturers now sell printers cheap, but then charge a fortune for ink. good way of making money...

No, not genuine but compatible....and the black and yellow work fine.....just the Cyan and Magenta that are not recognised....?

As far as I cal tell it is something to do with the way they are filled. I have an old HP930c and sometimes when I use alternative cartridges, some of the colours do not work. I have complained to various suppliers on ebay and all send replacement cartridges, some of which work and some of which do not :(.
Ended up finding that out of date OEM ones that can be found on ebay now and again are fine and cheaper.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 17:43 #4 

Zeb
Cheers Dave....always a catch isn't there? :cry: I have sent in my complaints.........pain in the articles it is though... :mad1:

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 20:48 #5 

Ragman
Canons are notorious for being very sensitive to gen/non gen cartridges

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 20:50 #6 

RRobson
dont some cartridges have chips on them now so they cant be re-filled?
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 20:53 #7 

FROGGY
RRobson wrote:dont some cartridges have chips on them now so they cant be re-filled?

Yes, but many of the non-genuine ones have resettable chips fitted.
I had a fantastic CISS system on my last printer (HP), which cost nothing to run, and gave just as good results as the genuine item.
I am hoping that the same will soon be available for my Canon Pixma MX870.

Mick

Upholding a GREAT BRITISH tradition.

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 21:33 #8 

hbb
(Site Admin)
FROGGY wrote:
RRobson wrote:dont some cartridges have chips on them now so they cant be re-filled?

Yes, but many of the non-genuine ones have resettable chips fitted.

Almost all chipped cartridges can now be reset. The manufacturers were forced to make the cartridges reusable because of the European WEEE regs (electronic equipment recycling). Just for a change both consumer & environment won :)

FROGGY wrote:I am hoping that the same will soon be available for my Canon Pixma MX870.

Lookie here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Refillable-Printe ... 3eff971d31

I've used inkrite before (oem cartridges, not a CISS) & thought they were easily as good as the genuine Epson inks.
This space accidentally left blank/

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 19:25 #9 

Dallas
Zeb,

Just run a piece of Kitchen Towel under a warm tap and ring it out, then wipe gently over the cartridge copper contacts (press firmly) and replace cartridge back in printer. You may need to do this a few times but it generally does work (just need to wake the cartridge up back from the incompatible dead)..... :D

Hope that helps...... :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 21:58 #10 

hbb
(Site Admin)
If the cartridge contacts need cleaning, it's best not to use water - some of them are mounted on a small printed circuit card & if any water gets to the edge it will cause it to delaminate. Use meths or nail varnish remover (check it has no oils etc in it and/or is not water-based!).

If removing & replacing the cartridge several times made it work then that's either a problem with the contacts in the print head (if any ink gets into them they can stick) or possibly the printer software (there's a computer inside it) eventually gives up trying to reject the cartridge - of them will do this if you refill it - and finally accepts it. AFAIK all chipped cartridges have a serial number in the chip so the printer "knows" what you're up to :{ :hissyfit:
This space accidentally left blank/

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 10:43 #11 

Zeb
Thanks for all the help guys....I was sent a replacement pair of cartridges..same problem again.....and then I found an oem set I had stored away for a rainy day...machine is happy now....with compatibles and oems working side by side.. :confused:

Posted 18 Jun 2010, 14:45 #12