Pressure washing the engine bay by raistlin

raistlin
Is that something that could be contemplated on the CDT, without the chance of wrecking things please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 22:21 #1 

calibrax
Hmmm, not sure I'd risk it! But I guess if you put a plastic bag over the main electrical stuff (fusebox, alternator, ECU (Engine Control Unit)) it would be ok, but you should probably spray any electrical connections/plugs with WD-40 afterwards.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 23:12 #2 

humphshumphs
After a mate and I did the head gasket of a Mazda MX5, he decided to steam clean the engine bay as oil & general grit etc was everywhere.

Steam cleaner on about 85/90 degrees and engine running... didn't seem to do any damage, and it didn't miss a beat while he was going it.

Not sure if I would do it to my tourer, but it was only a MX5 (Sorry to those that have one) :gmc:
Richard

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 06:04 #3 

Duncan
Only done it to one car, and that wouldn't start afterwards, so I've always avoided it since.

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 07:53 #4 

raistlin
Hmm...

Not a good idea then :( Trouble is, it seems next to impossible to get the muck out of the top of the bumper / slam panel manually because of the complex shape.
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 09:19 #5 

Bermudan 75
raistlin wrote:Hmm...

Not a good idea then :( Trouble is, it seems next to impossible to get the muck out of the top of the bumper / slam panel manually because of the complex shape.

I feel a bumper comimg off :thumbsup:

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 09:21 #6 

Bernard
I wonder how one of the domestic hand held steam generators would perform? At least one could direct the small nozzle accurately and avoid steaming anything critical.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 10:16 #7 

raistlin
Bernard wrote:I wonder how one of the domestic hand held steam generators would perform? At least one could direct the small nozzle accurately and avoid steaming anything critical.

It just so happens that we have one of those :)

Thanks Bernard.
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 10:21 #8 

Bernard
Let us know how you succeed (or not!). I would probably get one if it works as the state of my engine bays are beginning to annoy me.
Oh dear! I must be losing my grip on the important things in life. ;)
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 10:50 #9 

raistlin
Steam cleaner U/S :(

Used Halfrauds engine cleaner and judicious use of pressure washer. Well worth the effort. Engine bay nice and clean and engine started no problem :)
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2013, 14:36 #10