Power upgrade for the M47 by BingleyThe75 (Page 1 of 2)

BingleyThe75
After doing some research, I'm fairly sure the Td4 engine in the Land Rover Freelander is the same as in the CDTis, and while looking for a 75 around a year ago, I saw a Club SE for sale in Wales that had apparently been remapped and was pushing 149bhp. I was just curious to know whether similar tuning was possible on the Freelander, as my mother owns a 53 plate Freelander, and it's a little on the sluggish side. And an extra 40bhp or so wouldn't go amiss...
In a cold world, it's a warm place,
Where you know that you're supposed to be.

Posted 25 May 2013, 08:59 #1 

Duncan
There are remaps available for the 75/ZT that reportedly give 160BP. A few people round here have them (not myself). I would have thought the freelander could be done, as it's the same system, but you'd need to ask the people that do it.

Posted 25 May 2013, 09:06 #2 

BingleyThe75
Thankds Duncan, I shall look into it.

Posted 25 May 2013, 10:06 #3 

takestock
where are you based, I may be able to put you in touch with one of the 160bhp upgraders ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 May 2013, 13:47 #4 

Borg Warner
Had 3 Freelander diesels, gosh they were underpowered, especially with an auto-box. It's the same engine as the 75/ZT so tuning options are the same; however don't think they can be done the same with a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) as ours though(?), would need a Landy compatible machine I think?

Check out here:

http://forum.landrovernet.com/forum.php

and here:

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/

Caution on the latter one though :-).

Before I sold my last hippo I looked at various power upgrade options. I came across a number of plug and play chips but never actually went into if they worked or not.

No substitute for cubes though; got me a V6 now. PPhhhhwwwww off road.

And 20/gal round town. Gulp.

Hope this helps.

Gary M.

Posted 25 May 2013, 17:39 #5 

takestock
I think it would just be the different discs and leads ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 May 2013, 17:46 #6 

Borg Warner
Most likely right Dave. But I seem to recall from somewhere that a Landy T4 was not compatible with a ZT/75 T4? So whether that issue can be resolved by loading the different software would be interesting to find out. My Landy's OBDII compliant as I use the the same plug in for Torque.

I'll pose the question over on the Landy sites see what comes up.

Gary M

Posted 25 May 2013, 18:06 #7 

Borg Warner
Apparently the leads are different as is the software, and it's necessary to re-load it each time so not an easy thing to do.

Slightly off topic but the 1.8T re-maps to 200bhp is that via a T4 as well?

Hope this helps.

Posted 30 May 2013, 17:57 #8 

BingleyThe75
Ooooh 200bhp in my 1.8T Connie SE... That'd be fun... But I digress. I'm not sure how the leads for the T4 could be different with it being EOBDII... They're required to be the same connectors by law. And I'm based in East Yorkshire Dave, thanks :)

Posted 31 May 2013, 14:19 #9 

Duncan
The connectors can be different. OBD (On Board Diagnostics) only specifies some of the pins on the diagnostic connector, anyway so others could be different. But the connectors also have some coding resistors inside that tell the T4 which one is plugged in. So even if wired to the car identically, the coding resistors are different. I know there are red, yellow, blue, grey and black plugs for different jobs. There may be others, but I don't have those so can't be sure. 75/ZT is red.

Posted 31 May 2013, 17:22 #10 

takestock
Your on the doorstep of one of the most knowledgeable T4 operators there is, he is just off the M606.
Problem is he really isn't too well at the moment, so we may have to wait a while, unless you fancy a ride up to the north east?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 31 May 2013, 17:34 #11 

BingleyThe75
Thanks Dave. I'm quite interested to learn more but I currently have no driving license because I had a seizure on the 25th of Jan, so have to wait til the 25th of Jan next year to get it back. But I'd be very interested in getting my 1.8T 75 tuned up, but will have to see about the Freelander as parents are the only ones using it for obvious reasons.

Posted 02 Jun 2013, 07:38 #12 

BingleyThe75
Dave, was just re-reading this thread, and decided to have a look where the M606 is as I wasn't sure. Bit of a shock when I realised it's the same place where I got my Fiat Uno. Place just round the corner called Trade Cars Cleckheaton...

Posted 26 Jul 2013, 23:47 #13 

takestock
If you need to get in contact with Russ drop me a pm I will sort it, he has managed to tweak the 1.8 to 160bhp with no add on boxes ;) he is one of only 2 people in the country that can offer the 160bhp upgrade to the rover 75 Diesel. ( Proved on a rolling road also, so no over hype ) Cheaper than anything else around as well.

Imagine the stock 116 bhp arriving at Russ's and rolling out a short while later with 160 under the bonnet, no add on boxes no extra bit or bobs, now there would be an expression on a face to capture :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 06:06 #14 

BingleyThe75
Thanks Dave, once I'm back on the road (January 25th next year, it's killing me :( so can't wait to have Bingley back on the road), I'll have to get in touch with him, because I'm after getting me 1.8T remapped as well as getting the Freelander reworked.

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 16:41 #15 

MrB
IIRC the engine is the same but the Turbo setup is totally different. I think it is one of the variable vain turbos and I therefore doubt that the ECU (Engine Control Unit) is anything like the same and therefore doubt either of the T4 Gurus can do anything to help. Of course I could be wrong.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 21 Aug 2013, 18:04 #16 

BingleyThe75
If it is a variable vane turbo, surely the only difference in the ECU would be the parameters set for when the turbo is on boost? And even then it shouldn't be too far removed, because it's only really minor mapping changes that are needed to compensate for the different way in which the turbo performs?

Posted 10 Sep 2013, 18:00 #17 

Mark.Taylor
Hi, wonder if anyone can help. I bought a Rover 75 diesel last year and have been doing a few little jobs on it since then, handbrake compensator, thermostat, special thanks to Artic Steve !
Have noticed a slight lack of power/response from the car now, turbo does not really kick in until about 2500 revs so was wondering if anyone could recommend a power upgrade ? I see on the above messages an upgrade to 160bhp which I would like to know more about please.Anyway, great forum and site, love my car and loking forward to this years meetings.

Posted 17 Mar 2016, 21:05 #18 

takestock
Same question Mark, Where are you :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Mar 2016, 12:05 #19 

Mark.Taylor
takestock wrote:Same question Mark, Where are you :)

Thanks for reply Dave, I live in the South West of the country in Weston-super-mare.

Posted 22 Mar 2016, 18:30 #20