Power steering failure by RonDogg007

RonDogg007
Hi folks,just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a power steering repair PDF.I've just bought a ZT 160+ and it has no power steering so I'd like to try see what's the fault or the likely suspects on these models and how to go about repairing the fault as cheaply as possible.

Sent a lilttle wiser than I was yesterday!!!!

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 17:41 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Evening.
We don't have a Know How PDF for the power steering pump replacement but, this drawing from Xpart on Rimmers site should be helpful.
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002024
Usually it will be pump failure is the culprit. Please wait for some more expert advice, mine is strictly amateur.

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 18:00 #2 

RonDogg007
Thks Mick. I'm new to this model of car and was wondering if this was an easy enuff repair to do myself.

Sent a lilttle wiser than I was yesterday!!!!

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 18:13 #3 

JohnDotCom
I have a power steering pump for a 2.0 Diesel engine, but think they are different?
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 12 Jul 2013, 19:26 #4 

Duncan
Not a common failure as far as I know, that's why we might struggle to tell you where to look.

I'd start with the basics: is there any fluid in it? If not, the most likely is a leak in the cooler up front. After that it's rack or pump. Pump is easier of course.

Posted 13 Jul 2013, 14:20 #5 

RonDogg007
Duncan wrote:Not a common failure as far as I know, that's why we might struggle to tell you where to look.

I'd start with the basics: is there any fluid in it? If not, the most likely is a leak in the cooler up front. After that it's rack or pump. Pump is easier of course.

Thks Duncan.theres no fluid in the ressa but I'm pretty sure of a leak of some kind as there is signs of leakage jus past the sump.Havnt had a chance to raise her up but from what I've managed to gleen online it seems to be 1 of 3 things the 2 you mentioned or split line(s).I'll have a look underneath and report back to see if you or the other forum members can help me along as at the moment I really cant afford a garage fix.thks

Posted 14 Jul 2013, 08:14 #6 

Duncan
The cooler is just a loop of pipe behind the bumper, in front of the radiator, below the fan. There are push fit connectors on the right had side of the car (left as you look at the front). Maybe one of these has come off, or the pipe may have rusted through.

Posted 14 Jul 2013, 09:06 #7 

RonDogg007
I've topped the steering fluid ressa up (as it was empty) there is a small leak somewhere.Its dripping slowly from mid-center of the underneath of the car.looking from the front of the car it seems like its close to the rubbers on the steering rack.could it be possible its the steering rack itself Duncan???Can you advise me any better with this update.It seems its only leaking whilst driving and a short while after parking up.I topped it up last nite about 5pm and today I still have power steering although its making a creaking sound as I steer.Anyone can assist me further as well as yourself Duncan mate id be most grateful.

Posted 18 Jul 2013, 16:00 #8 

Duncan
If you have the undertray on, it will run along that and drip where you are saying, so it may be misleading. You need to get the car up and the tray off to find the leak, it could be anywhere, including the rack, though I've not heard of that before. Other people may have come across it though. If it's only with engine running, it is probably high pressure side, though, which is the pipe from the pump to the rack.

The creaking is because the fluid is low.

Posted 18 Jul 2013, 17:09 #9 

RonDogg007
Thks very much!

Posted 19 Jul 2013, 10:33 #10