power steering DEAD........ by 1gp

1gp
POWER STEERING PACKED UP TONIGHT BIG STYLE .... couldnt see as it was dark, but its got rid of all its fluid , all over the engine and under the car..... are pumps a common problem on these ???? are pipes and seals a problem ? has anyone else had this happen ? and if so what was the fix ? its a 2.0 cdt 2000 plate. :( cheers guys ... :)

Posted 01 Sep 2010, 22:37 #1 

takestock
Pipe rubbed through is most likely, mine did i last year on the ally part as opposed to the flexible. temp repd it with some compression gas fittings, then forgot all about it........until now :em:.

Seems a pretty simple system Jim from what i remember just 2 pipes from the pump to the steering rack, its clipped to the front chassis leg drivers side under the engine. and a fill pipe to the resovoir :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Sep 2010, 05:56 #2 

Rammie
1gp wrote:POWER STEERING PACKED UP TONIGHT BIG STYLE .... couldnt see as it was dark, but its got rid of all its fluid , all over the engine and under the car..... are pumps a common problem on these ???? are pipes and seals a problem ? has anyone else had this happen ? and if so what was the fix ? its a 2.0 cdt 2000 plate. :( cheers guys ... :)

Sorry to hear about that Jim, hope it's a quick fix for you.
I think Dave may be right about the pipes chafing, I have moved mine to stop this happening, hopefully. :roll:

:cheers:
Brian

Posted 02 Sep 2010, 17:32 #3 

1gp
hi , guys , well had a look tonight and yep , its the flexi pipe that had a hole init. it was catching on the crash bar ... good job i have my landrover, had to go to work in that today :P yet another little silly design by rover , thats no doubt caused alot of problems for people over the years ... many thanks chaps off to :bed: ....

Posted 02 Sep 2010, 21:12 #4 

Rammie
Well Jim, at least it's not the pump.
Should be a fairly easy fix.
Brian

Posted 02 Sep 2010, 21:16 #5 

1gp
easy fix , replace flexi pipe took about 3mins. otherthan having to take bumper off to do the 3 min job lol. needs a good jet wash now , loads of psf every where. :o

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 21:37 #6 

Rammie
Sounds like a good job done.

Brian

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 21:45 #7