poor 50 to 70mph acceleration by jonjon77 (Page 2 of 3)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Kev85
I've been having the exact same problem as you jonjon I think?

Sluggish until 1,900RPM
Sluggish over 3-3,500RPM

5th gear from 50-70 takes between 9-10seconds(115 model with synergy 1 on High/High)
4th gear takes about 6.5 seconds to do the same.

Trying to accelerate in 1st or 2nd feels like the engines restricted and pushing me back.

Any significant slope and I need to shift down the gears until I hit one doing over 1800 revs as just no torque below that.

Done:
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve)
All filters
Air intake
Intercooler O-rings(she's boosting between 16-18PSI)
Replaced the maf(I have MF75P)

Had someone analyse the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) signal, and regardless of where the Mafams knob was turned, the signal stayed the same. Changing from 3year old pierburgh maf to brand new one only increased the signal by(16 up to 18 - but don't ask me 18 what :P)

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 17:16 #21 

jonjon77
l was unsure if the bypass would make a difference but for £25 l thought it was worth a try.l know there can be a placebo effect with these things so l have a road l use were l know what the car is doing at certain points in the road.this road has hills that l know what speed and gear the car will/wont go up them.on one hill when lm doing 40mph in 4th and lift off the throttle at the gate to the field drop the speed to 35 and then accelerate at the next lamp post the car will maintain that speed but will not go faster no matter how hard you press the pedal.after the egr ypass it got to 43ish before the hill leveled out.l will ask russ to drive it before l put the maf in to get a secound opinion.as l understand egr valves and lm open to been corrected,under certain conditions the valve will let in exhaust gases back in to the intake.this must heat up the air going into the engine.with no gases going into the engine that space must be fill with more and cleaner air and more air must be a good thing

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 17:19 #22 

jonjon77
Kev85 wrote:I've been having the exact same problem as you jonjon I think?

Sluggish until 1,900RPM
Sluggish over 3-3,500RPM

5th gear from 50-70 takes between 9-10seconds(115 model with synergy 1 on High/High)
4th gear takes about 6.5 seconds to do the same.

Trying to accelerate in 1st or 2nd feels like the engines restricted and pushing me back.

Any significant slope and I need to shift down the gears until I hit one doing over 1800 revs as just no torque below that.

Done:
EGR
All filters
Air intake
Intercooler O-rings(she's boosting between 16-18PSI)
Replaced the maf(I have MF75P)

Had someone analyse the MAF signal, and regardless of where the Mafams knob was turned, the signal stayed the same. Changing from 3year old pierburgh maf to brand new one only increased the signal by(16 up to 18 - but don't ask me 18 what :P)

hi there,in 1st and 2nd mine is great up to 3000rpm but then starts to feel a bit strangled till the little kick comes at 4000rpm.l think my synergy is differant to yours mine is a june 09 version.mine goes from 1 to 10 but in two groups of five ie it has the same power/torque settings in group one(1 to 5)as group two(6 to 10)the only difference is the maf boost,1 to 5 low boost,6 to 10 medium boost.my pierburg was well out at high revs and the bosch maf
l put in has not been checked yet so this might still be the problem.my car doesnt seem as bad as yours now but that was what it was like when l first got it before l got my synergy 2.does your synergy have a switch to turn the power off? if it does try turning it off and see how it drives

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 17:47 #23 

James.uk
Well you seem have a good datum to work from, so the EGR has helped a bit. I would expect the MAF to make a much bigger diff if the old one is kaput. :)

In fact looking at what's going on now it should solve the problem. *fingers crossed* :)

If --- You still have a problem, then I think either, the turbo's on the blink, or you have a large hole in an air pipe somewhere between that and the inlet ports..

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 18:54 #24 

jonjon77
James.uk wrote:Well you seem have a good datum to work from, so the EGR has helped a bit. I would expect the MAF to make a much bigger diff if the old one is kaput. :)

In fact looking at what's going on now it should solve the problem. *fingers crossed* :)

If --- You still have a problem, then I think either, the turbo's on the blink, or you have a large hole in an air pipe somewhere between that and the inlet ports..

l think the new maf will make a difference.when l replaced the bosch maf thats on the car now with the pierburg lve just sent back there was change to how the car went.unfortunately it seems lve found a week spot in the exhaust.l can hear it blowing a bit just after 3000rpm at full throttle.lm guessing the flexi part will have gone but as its still the original system it could be anywhere.

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:08 #25 

FROGGY
jonjon77 wrote:put bother filters on this morning and l cant feel any change so l can rule them out.l phoned roverron for some advice and he was really helpfull and he said the same as russ,dump the egr valve.l also told him there wasnt much change between setting 5 and 10 with the pierbrug maf,he said l shouldnt use 5 but l should have noticed a differance when l changed to 10.lm sending the pierburg back and hes going to replace it

Very puzzled here. Have you got this the right way round?
As far as I am aware, on the Synergy 2, positions 1, 2, and 3 are for a Bosch MAF only.
4-9 are for Bosch or Pierburg, But 10 is for Bosch only, not Pierburg.
Positions 1,2,3 and 10 only give LOW Maf boost, which is no good for the Pierburg. It requires Medium or High boost.

With a Synergy 2, a good MAF of either type, and all other thigs being OK, you should be able to redline the engine in the first four gears easily.
Whatever you do, however, is not going to give you a rapid 50-70 time in 5th gear. At 50 you are below the rev point for any decent amount of torque, which is what gives you acceleration. Drop down to 4th for overtaking at that speed.

HTH

Mick

Upholding a GREAT BRITISH tradition.

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:19 #26 

jonjon77
Very puzzled here. Have you got this the right way round?
As far as I am aware, on the Synergy 2, positions 1, 2, and 3 are for a Bosch MAF only.
4-9 are for Bosch or Pierburg, But 10 is for Bosch only, not Pierburg.
Positions 1,2,3 and 10 only give LOW Maf boost, which is no good for the Pierburg. It requires Medium or High boost.

With a Synergy 2, a good MAF of either type, and all other thigs being OK, you should be able to redline the engine in the first four gears easily.
Whatever you do, however, is not going to give you a rapid 50-70 time in 5th gear. At 50 you are below the rev point for any decent amount of torque, which is what gives you acceleration. Drop down to 4th for overtaking at that speed.

HTH

Mick[/quote]

when l first did a search about the synergy 2 and the settings l came across differant ways they worked and this confused the hell out of me.l eventually found them.
this how its set out

june 09 version

switch...............maf...............torque...................power
position............boost.........&throttle response.................
1....................low..................low......................med
2....................low..................med.....................med
3....................low..................high.....................med
4....................low..................med.....................high
5....................low..................high.....................high
6....................med.................low......................med
7....................med.................med.....................med
8....................med.................high.....................med
9....................med.................med.....................high
10..................med.................high......................high

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:42 #27 

James.uk
{Synergy2} There does seem to be a great deal of confusion as to exactly what the settings are for, and do. Originally I found my BOSH MAF seems to be OK, so I set the MAF on 1. I then set the tuner on 6. But on posting that info was told that selecting any tuning number above 3 would automatically increase the MAF to number 2????

We really do need much clearer guidance on the Synergy2 ASAP, as i am quite convinced most people using it have it set up WRONGLY! And that includes me! :mad1: .

Can anyone clarify this with correct up to date information please? :confused:

Note:- I am running a Bosch MAF with Synergy2 settings of MAF on 1.. Tuner on 6.... Based on the above chart I should be running with the tuner on 5?? :confused:

I am getting soot on the rear bumper above the exhaust, and an ave mpg of around the mid 30's.. best ever 42 mpg.. Overall the car performs very well.. :)

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 00:31 #28 

FROGGY
James

Below is a scan of the settings for a Synergy 2 taken straight off my copy that came with the unit. Ron may have changed these on later models, but you would need to check with him.
I have posted on the other side a link to my installation instructions.

Mick

Upholding a GREAT BRITISH tradition.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 05:29 #29 

jonjon77
l noticed your "how to" on the other side when l was searching about the settings.right lve just phoned roverron for a bit of clarification on when the settings were changed.before approx june 09 the synergy 2 had the settings as listed above by froggy (thanks).synergys from june 09 will have the settings l listed a couple of posts ago.l think we need a "how to"with a pic of both synergys to help people get the most from them.l bet there is quite a few people who have have got the two settings mixed up.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 11:54 #30 

JohnDotCom
If anyone wants to do a How To and post up we will PDF it and put it in the soon to come searchable database.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 13:21 #31 

James.uk
Arghh! We already have 2 conflicting sets of information, and if you count those that came with my SYnergy2, that makes 3!! :mad1: :mad1:

My Synergy2 is the one with the separate temp sensor attached, I drilled a lil hole in the air pipe by the MAF and inserted it there, well actually Keith at Ellesmore did it for me when he was giving my car a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) once-over. :) But anyway that's the type I have..

So. Questions. What was the point of me setting my MAF on number one = low, as per supplied instructions, if setting the tuner to number six put the MAF up to medium. :confused: (Maybe that's why the bumper soots up? it's overfueling on med MAF??) :confused: :confused:

And what setting should the car be on, with a working Bosch MAF??? ... I think I will go to number 10 and join the boy racers, as at least there is no controversy about that setting! :clap: :thumbsup:

We really do need this matter sorting out properly with some up to date information...

PS. I rang Ron last year, but couldn't really understand what he was telling me, (A) because it was a bad line, (B) because it didn't match up with the information in the box. and (C) I have trouble understanding some Northern accents.. d'ohhh :em: :em:

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 13:43 #32 

James.uk
Hmmm, just realised. I have "assumed" (based on info from the other forum given months ago) that putting my tuner on number six, has automatically put the MAF up to MED but has it actually done that? Or is my car trying to run with miss-matched Synergy settings?? - i.e. MAF on low. Tuner set for medium???

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 13:56 #33 

3disco
stop all the confusion and get it re-mapped!

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 16:16 #34 

Russ
(Trader)
As Jon's post above all Synergy2's June 2009 onward have different settings there is only low and medium maf amplification now.

Have checked Jon's Bosch maf and found it to be within spec so we've turned off the maf section on the Synergy and am now awaiting the results of the road test to see if it's improved things. It was slightly over-fuelling before so will see if it responds any better over 3000 revs. ;)

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 16:50 #35 

jonjon77
just been round to see russ and l think we may have cracked it judging by the short drive home.put the car on the T4 with synergy set at 10(high power,high torque and medium maf boost)and the maf boost switch on and the original bosch maf fitted.the readings showed the maf in spec but being over boosted on the voltage.l turned the setting down to 5(same power,torque,low maf boost)and it was still too high.l turned the maf boost section off on the synergy and this got things back to normal levels.l tried it out on the way home in 2nd gear at 20mph l floored it till the revs got to 3800 with no sign of the struggling once it hit 3000 that it used to have.l didnt have time to test properly because the kids were on the way but l will try when we go shopping.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 17:07 #36 

Russ
(Trader)
That's good news Jon. :mrgreen: seems we're getting there. ;)

Thing is everyone assumes that the maf is likely to be out of spec so of course they turn on the maf section, as a result of what we found with Jon's car it looks likely some problems with the settings and running members are finding could be put down to the maf section being too high or not being needed at all.

O.K.it's a lot easier for me to find out because I can look at the figures on the T4 but the same results can be found by trial and error remembering to include leaving the maf section switched off.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 17:30 #37 

jonjon77
l went for a longer drive today and although l didnt get chance to test it in 5th gear the pull above 3000rpm in 3rd and 4th gear its much better.it now feels like it wants to rev.l did turn the power section of the synergy off to see if that helped but at no point did l ever think about turning the maf section off.it just goes to show l should have tried the things that didnt cost money first.at least l know that other than a remap the engine is the best its going to be and l will accept whatever the performance is in 5th.ld like to thank everyone for their help with what to try/check especially russ because without his commen sense approach and T4 l would still be scratching my head

thanks all
jon

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 11:41 #38 

JohnDotCom
O.K.it's a lot easier for me to find out because I can look at the figures on the T4 but the same results can be found by trial and error remembering to include leaving the maf section switched off.

Russ

Please remember the above is only relevant re switching off the Bosch MAFs the Pierburg MAFs always require the Mafam section to be turned on to work.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 12:13 #39 

James.uk
Just out of curiosity, what are the symptoms of a completely none working MAF?

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 14:14 #40