PM notification. by Bernard

Bernard
Is it possible to have better notification of the arrival of a PM please?

Today I didn't get any email notification of a PM sent by a member and there is nothing to draw one's attention to the fact when looking just for unread/new posts.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 22:59 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
PM notifications are sent automatically and immediately from the system. They can as any email be held up due to many other factors, sometimes for hours. Let me know if you don't get any at all.

New PM's are always registered in the "new messages" at the top all pages. The default is zero " new messages" the number incrementing as PM's are delivered. This part of the notification system. You can also get a pop up message advising of new PM by setting it in "your settings" Pop ups have to be enabled on your browser. So there are in fact 3 ways of being notified.

Hope this helps..

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 23:17 #2 

Bernard
Thanks Mick. Funnily enough the email notification came through a few minutes ago about 10 hours late. It also came at the same time as a couple of other thread notifications.

The pop up has never worked for me although I have always had it requested from my first day here and no, it's not blocked by Firefox..

And I just don't notice the small print at the top of the page. ;)

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 23:30 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
It is possible for email to be held up on our server but that unfortunately would be down to the host, I'll look into it and make sure there is nothing we can do.

First time anybody has mentioned no pop up in FF. They work for me.
Is anybody else suffering this? (aimed at everybody not just Bernard)

New message notification at page top is always my first port of call, just in case I have missed or closed a pop up or email is late.

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 23:48 #4 

James.uk
I don't get any pop up notification either, I have it ticked in my settings but it doesn't work.. :confused:

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 00:57 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
James.uk wrote:I don't get any pop up notification either, I have it ticked in my settings but it doesn't work.. :confused:
Which browser are you using James?

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 01:22 #6 

JohnDotCom
That's quite a Technical question for our James. :lol:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 09:16 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bernard
Today I am receiving email notification of PM's before the forum shows them as being sent, I am sure any delays are due to traffic on the servers email system. Unfortunately we do not have any control over notifications once they have been automatically generated by the forum software. Just something we have to live with. :(
The new messages pop up is also working correctly. May I suggest you test this function with a different browser and let me know if you are still having problems, if it works for you on another browser then it is a matter of double checking setup on FF
Simon is looking into having a more prominent new messages label and will address it when he has time.

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 14:40 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Apologies to Duncan, I have been taking your name in vain. (must stop smoking those funny cigarettes). All references to Duncan instead of Bernard have been corrected.

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 15:07 #9 

Bernard
Mick wrote:Apologies to Duncan, I have been taking your name in vain. (must stop smoking those funny cigarettes). All references to Duncan instead of Bernard have been corrected.

Don't think Duncan will be overjoyed at being mistaken for me. :lol:

Not much PM activity on here at the moment, all happening elsewhere which is a pain in the backside 'cos of limitations of number. ;)

Oh! and another thing, I don' wanna use another browser. :hissyfit:

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 15:29 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bernard wrote:
Mick wrote:Apologies to Duncan, I have been taking your name in vain. (must stop smoking those funny cigarettes). All references to Duncan instead of Bernard have been corrected.

Don't think Duncan will be overjoyed at being mistaken for me. :lol:

Not much PM activity on here at the moment, all happening elsewhere which is a pain in the backside 'cos of limitations of number. ;)

Oh! and another thing, I don' wanna use another browser. :hissyfit:

Not suggesting you "use" another browser, just for testing purposes.

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 15:42 #11 

Bernard
Mick wrote:Not suggesting you "use" another browser, just for testing purposes.

I know what you meant, Mick, but you make no allowance for my inherent laziness. ;)
And you are not alone in this.

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 15:53 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Regarding PM's, everybody here has a quota of 200 PM's per mailbox. That's 200 inbox, 200 sent box you can also create storage folders, each one of which also holds 200 messages. In addition you can create rules (as in an email programme) to automatically move in coming PM's to designated boxes.In effect PM's are pretty much unlimited if you manage them correctly. However it is more appropriate to clear your inbox occasionally to save on our server space, although PM's take no more space than forum posts.
Might I suggest if you are having problems with extremely limited PM storage elsewhere then you could if you wish point people here, for a better forum experience. ;)

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 15:55 #13 

James.uk
Browser IE7.. :P (for JDC) :)

PS.. Might be IE8 innit.. :confused: lol :lol:

PSS. Deff not Firefox... :lol:

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 16:04 #14 

Last edited by James.uk on 05 Feb 2011, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard
Mick wrote:Might I suggest if you are having problems with extremely limited PM storage elsewhere then you could if you wish point people here, for a better forum experience. ;)

Which I have done earlier today and before. 8-)

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 16:12 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bernard wrote:
Mick wrote:Might I suggest if you are having problems with extremely limited PM storage elsewhere then you could if you wish point people here, for a better forum experience. ;)

Which I have done earlier today and before. 8-)

Thought you might have, hence my winky emoticon. :D

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 16:19 #16 

Mick
(Site Admin)
James.uk wrote:Browser IE7.. :P (for JDC) :)

PS.. Might be IE8 innit.. :confused: lol :lol:

PSS. Deff not Firefox... :lol:

In that case John will tell you what to do. You might not like it but that's a chance you'll have to take. :D :D

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 16:20 #17 

James.uk
I am sure John will be most polite Mick, coz it's a very long limp to B/ham innit... lmho... :lol: :lol:

Posted 05 Feb 2011, 16:24 #18