Personal Plates by Dave

Dave
I've got my eye on a number from DVLA, which is not actually released yet, as it's an 11 plate

I really, really want it as it basically says my name! :mrgreen: (not going to say what the plate is, as I don't want to jinx it!)

Two problems:-

1) Won't be able to afford a car new enough to put it on for at least three years!!
2) They are not yet for sale, although they are listed on DVLA site

Item 2) is worrying me, as what happens apparently is that they go on sale (online) at 8:30 on 7th December. Reason I'm worried is in case someone else beats me to it, as I anticipate the DVLA site could be very busy and thus I might not be able to log on

Can't reserve plates so wondering if anyone has any bright ideas, like "sniping" tools etc?!

Posted 17 Nov 2010, 19:33 #1 

stevemac
You can easily keep it on retention for a few years. I wouldn't trust any software to do the purchase, especially as it will still have to connect to their server and be subject to the same load restraints as you logging on yourself. If it's that obvious a name then they may pull it prior to launch for auction. When my wife bought mine the guy at the DVLA asked her what was so special about it. He did not see that it spelt A R04VER. Good luck.
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 17 Nov 2010, 22:20 #2 

Dallas
stevemac wrote: He did not see that it spelt A R04VER. Good luck.

Really! ................. how coooool! :hail:

Good luck with your's Dave :thumbsup: just clear your Browser and Cache of everything but then log into the DVLA site again and get a fresh cookie, be ready and waiting for 8:30...... :)

Posted 17 Nov 2010, 22:35 #3 

Dave
Dallas wrote:Good luck with your's Dave :thumbsup: just clear your Browser and Cache of everything but then log into the DVLA site again and get a fresh cookie, be ready and waiting for 8:30...... :)

GULP!

Guessing they don't realise it's worth (to me and people with the same name) so just hope nothing changes!

£399 for it is probably stupid by the time you add the retention fees, but you know how it is...............

Posted 17 Nov 2010, 23:44 #4 

JohnDotCom
As stated the properly spelt name ones either get removed or relisted at up to £25000.
The number plate sites seem to get the "names" quite often.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 17 Nov 2010, 23:55 #5 

Dave
JohnDotCom wrote:As stated the properly spelt name ones either get removed or relisted at up to £25000.
The number plate sites seem to get the "names" quite often.

Hoping that they don't remove or re-list! (thinking why have them there in the first place with a price already stated if they were going to do this? But maybe just wishful thinking!)

Also hoping the plates sites don't get their mitts on them, as it's maybe not too obvious a name set up! (Two initials, followed by 11 as an "H", then the final three letters of my surname)

Posted 18 Nov 2010, 08:05 #6 

Tootall
stevemac wrote: When my wife bought mine the guy at the DVLA asked her what was so special about it. He did not see that it spelt A R04VER. Good luck.

Had the same question asked to me when brought mine - MY55 ZTT
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 18 Nov 2010, 17:20 #7 

Dallas
Tootall wrote:
stevemac wrote: When my wife bought mine the guy at the DVLA asked her what was so special about it. He did not see that it spelt A R04VER. Good luck.

Thats great 'ZTT' :thumbsup:

Do you think there would be a plate that would spell 'Dallas' ? ......... :lol:

Posted 18 Nov 2010, 21:42 #8 

SpongeBob
DA11 ASS

Would that do you? ;) You would have to wait a few years before you could put it on a car unless you bought brand new during next year. :)

Posted 19 Nov 2010, 14:31 #9 

Duncan
SpongeBob wrote:DA11 ASS

Would that do you? ;) You would have to wait a few years before you could put it on a car unless you bought brand new during next year. :)

Where would you get a brand new 75 or ZT these days?

Posted 19 Nov 2010, 21:09 #10 

Dallas
SpongeBob wrote:DA11 ASS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolling: :clap: I'm not sure if I want 'ASS' as my reg plate..... :lol:

Thanks Simon.... :D

Posted 19 Nov 2010, 21:12 #11 

Dave
YES! I got it!! :mrgreen:

I am now officially WELL CHUFFED!

Was a nightmare to buy mind....

Logged on at 8:15 this morning to a message that the DVLA site was down for maintenance. It said "please try again after 8:30" (which was the time you could buy 11 series plates from)

At 8:30 I had both laptops going, directed towards DVLA Registrations, each with four browser windows open, and set about a round of refreshing. Had various amounts of success, between nothing at all and half loaded pages of goobledygook

Took until 11:20 before I managed to get half a search going, at which point I put in the letters one by one, not being able to see the result. Then it refused to log into my DVLA account! Kept refreshing and, phew, once at this point it went smoothly :clap:

So I now own......

(I'll tell you later!) :mrgreen:

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 11:37 #12 

Bermudan 75
You tease ! :roll:

Glad you got them though. :cheers:

Mike

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 13:43 #13 

takestock
Dave wrote:YES! I got it!! :mrgreen:

I am now officially WELL CHUFFED!

Was a nightmare to buy mind....

Logged on at 8:15 this morning to a message that the DVLA site was down for maintenance. It said "please try again after 8:30" (which was the time you could buy 11 series plates from)

At 8:30 I had both laptops going, directed towards DVLA Registrations, each with four browser windows open, and set about a round of refreshing. Had various amounts of success, between nothing at all and half loaded pages of goobledygook

Took until 11:20 before I managed to get half a search going, at which point I put in the letters one by one, not being able to see the result. Then it refused to log into my DVLA account! Kept refreshing and, phew, once at this point it went smoothly :clap:

So I now own......

(I'll tell you later!) :mrgreen:

C'mon Dave, don't make me have to resort to spamming everywhere to get you to tell D :D :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 16:13 #14 

Tourerfogey
All the best people have personal plates (we'll ignore the chavs that have them too ;) )

Unfortunately BAS1L was already taken.

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 18:01 #15 

Dave
takestock wrote:C'mon Dave, don't make me have to resort to spamming everywhere to get you to tell D :D :D

:mrgreen: OK, I'll tell then!

Currently have B10 DNH (DNH being my initials) but always liked the idea of D11 YDE, as (with a little bit of imagination) could read D HYDE - which is me, Dave Hyde!

Watched DVLA for ages for the D series to be released, then gave it up, then forgot about it, only to go back to it one day to find them there but this one gone... :cry:

Mentioned this to my bro about six months ago, and he suggested going for the one I have today, albeit with the caveat that (being an 11 series) I won't be able to afford a car to put it on for a few years yet!

Anyway, here's the pics from the DVLA site, from the section "View On A Car" - although sadly I'll never be able to put it on this car as it would make it appear newer than it was.... :-| On the left is "as is", in the middle with a bit of artistic spacing, on the right with spacing and a virtual black bolt head between the two 1's! (ahem!)

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 23:09 #16 

Dave
ps Noticed that there's still loads of 11YDE ones left - so I would probably have been fine waiting until after the rush! (didn't want to risk it though!)

Having said that, I see that the £799 MR11 YDE has gone - I would have liked that one too!!

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 23:12 #17 

Tourerfogey
Have you thought about buying J3kyl for your 'off' days? ;)

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 13:13 #18 

Bermudan 75
Tootall wrote:

Here in Northwich there is a ZTT with the reg MY04 ZTT

:cheers:
Mike

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 14:19 #19