PCV - BMW Replacement part by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
I have read on MG-Org about a BMW replacement part for the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) valve that does away with the filter.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=299941

Has anyone here had any experience of using these replacement parts?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 27 Jan 2013, 18:12 #1 

raistlin
Yes,

I had one about 18 months ago Mike :)

Had no problems at all.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Jan 2013, 18:23 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
A lot of people whom change to this BMW part with out the filter think it is fit and forget not the case it still needs to be cleaned out at certain service intervals something to do with the vortex or another, i myself prefer the filter at £6 only i change it twice a year spring and Autum.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Jan 2013, 01:55 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
I bet you will be changing at the nano Sunday Mike after this we saw today ;)
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Mar 2013, 18:55 #4 

Bermudan 75
Arctic wrote:I bet you will be changing at the nano Sunday Mike after this we saw today ;)

Hi Steve,

You can bet on that :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Posted 22 Mar 2013, 10:24 #5 

Bermudan 75
Well here we are over 2 and a half years later and I have just cleaned out the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) thingy again. Only seems like 5 mins since Steve changed it....:-o

Mike

Posted 07 Nov 2015, 22:13 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rover418275 wrote:Well here we are over 2 and a half years later and I have just cleaned out the EGR thingy again. Only seems like 5 mins since Steve changed it....:-o

Mike

Hi Mike.
It will gunk up like that quicker with the small journeys you told me are doing and have been doing over the last year etc, maybe best to go for the by pass link below, this will cut down the gunk only other alternative is to clean regular
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-MG-Z ... SwuMFUmTCE
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Nov 2015, 01:46 #7 

Tootall
Does using the EGR by pass have any down sides ?
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 08 Nov 2015, 08:22 #8 

Bermudan 75
Arctic wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:Well here we are over 2 and a half years later and I have just cleaned out the EGR thingy again. Only seems like 5 mins since Steve changed it....:-o

Mike

Hi Mike.
It will gunk up like that quicker with the small journeys you told me are doing and have been doing over the last year etc, maybe best to go for the by pass link below, this will cut down the gunk only other alternative is to clean regular
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-MG-Z ... SwuMFUmTCE

Hi Steve,

Cleaning it is not too much trouble so I am going to carry a spare EGR valve, with the intention to just swap it over every six months.

Next task is to clean out the manifold,and do the same as the EGR.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 08 Nov 2015, 10:21 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
Tootall wrote:Does using the EGR by pass have any down sides ?

Hi Keith.
Not that I heard of or been recorded quite a few members have gone down this road on the OC and quite a few member on the Freelander forum I am with, in my opinion though if you do this modification I would remove the manifold and give it a good clean out, before cleaning the MAP sensor and the four round and four square seals must be removed, and the large seal which meet up to the EGR.

With the MAP sensor removed it can be cleaned with some carb cleaner, do not spray direct into the hole wipe of with a cloth and then use a small screw driver or paper clip to clean out the black gunk that sit just insdie the MAP aperture again not shoving right into the hole.

Clean the manifold out with oven cleaner leaving it to soak for at least a couple of hours, then jet wash it out,you maybe could get one of the many pop up car washes to jet it out for you if you have another car to take it to them, dry it out and replace along with your new by pass EGR and you should not see any gunk in the manifold or EGR again.

This is what condition they can get into after a certain time, worse on cars that only do short journeys.

below are members manifold and EGR before changing them with clean ones.

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Nov 2015, 10:25 #10 

Tootall
Thanks for that Steve, now a dumb question time, with the by-pass fitted what happens to the gasses that would have been re-circulated ?
Do you have any links for the inlet seal kit i couldn't see any on fleabay ?
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 08 Nov 2015, 10:53 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
Tootall wrote:Thanks for that Steve, now a dumb question time, with the by-pass fitted what happens to the gasses that would have been re-circulated ?
Do you have any links for the inlet seal kit i couldn't see any on fleabay ?

Hi Keith you have just asked the 64,0000 dollar question there as been lots of talk about this modification on the OC club since, wait for it 2007 link below.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=12517

The seals can be reused with out any trouble but if you would prefer to renew kit below
https://britishparts.co.uk/products/542 ... ld-ACC4526
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Nov 2015, 11:21 #12 

Bermudan 75
Changed the PCV filter today, very straight forward.

The only problem I had was with refitting the air filter cover. The two rear screws would not take but after a while I managed to secure the screws. I found that it you pull the filter cover towards the front of the car the screws will take.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 15 Nov 2015, 17:22 #13