Parking ticket for car with lines painted beneath it by JohnDotCom

JohnDotCom
Parking ticket for car with lines painted beneath it

Surely this cannot be legal?

An accountant from Manchester returned to her car after work and found it parked facing the opposite direction, with a fresh set of yellow lines painted underneath.

Accountant Sally Barker had parked her Peugeot 206 CC on Little Quay Street that morning, near her office. There were no yellow lines on the road and no parking restrictions in place.

But the council was so keen to get new double yellow lines painted that it used a tow truck to hoist the car into the air while it did the work.

A parking ticket was issued immediately, though after being challenged by the Manchester Evening News, council workers replaced it with a note reading, 'your car has been repositioned by the council'.

Parking enforcement agency NSL defended the placement of the ticket, which it says was done to prevent another warden issuing a ticket later. It was immediately declared void and wouldn't have led to a fine.

That didn't abate Mrs. Barker's anger, however, who said: “To find out that the council moved my car, without my permission and then placed it on double yellow lines they had just painted is disgraceful. I suggest they close the road prior to putting the restrictions in place.”
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 15:57 #1 

jonjon77
l read about that in the paper to day.and yet the other day the chaps that were painting the white lines in the road wouldnt move a badger out of the way to paint the lines.l wonder why....oh yes,they cant put a ticket on a dead badger

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 16:14 #2 

Mike
lol serves her right for parking there. It's a tiny road where any parking will block traffic (as she well knows given she works in the area). £ to a penny there were no lines only because they had just resurfaced the road ;)

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 16:15 #3 

Bermudan 75
She should sue the council for trespass, you cannot interfere with someone else's property. If there were no yellow lines in situ the onous is on the council to show they had acted reasonably.

I think that that solicitor Nick what's his name would love this one.

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 16:29 #4 

James.uk
Pity they didn't just run the machine up over her car, two cheap gofaster stripes for free!! :lol:

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 17:24 #5