PARASITIC BATT DRAIN by JDP

• Related topics: (no related topics)

JDP
I posted last week when the remote had stopped working. Had the car electrician over today and he has found that the radio/SatNav circuit had been drawing power, which caused the flat batts each morning. The fuse itself is not necessarily fault, but shorts as a protection against if an error has occurred in either the rado or the SatNav. Do any of you know what the problem is likely to be in a 75 Tourer 2.5 V6 automatic (04)?

Posted 16 Jan 2013, 13:54 #1 

MrDoodles
I'm no electrical expert, but that sounds like the Sat Nav drive not shutting down properly! :(

Posted 16 Jan 2013, 14:08 #2 

JakeWilson
At some point in the cars life, the sat nav drive will have either been exposed to moisture of not powered down properly, as Mr Doodles said.

Posted 16 Jan 2013, 14:09 #3 

JDP
Thank you both. How do you power down a SatNav properly?

Posted 16 Jan 2013, 14:24 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
power-down-nav-computer.html

It is likely this procedure was not followed at some point, possibly causing your current problem.

Posted 16 Jan 2013, 15:43 #5 

Duncan
The likely problem is as already mentioned damp or incorrect shutdown. However I think the guys description of the fuse shorting if an error occurs is way off. A fuse IS a short circuit all the time. If it ever stops being a short circuit, that's when your fuse has 'gone'.

Posted 16 Jan 2013, 18:24 #6 

JDP
Gents, you may well be right about water ingress around SatNav. I found a small amount of wetness there which may or may not explain original battery drain. We have taken SatNav out, once it is dried out inside will reconnect and see if it will work. May I ask another question please? I assume water is getting in via the tail light, so do you suggest a sealant or something else?

Posted 17 Jan 2013, 15:10 #7 

Bermudan 75
If you look in the How to data base there is a pdf document that should help.

Seems it could be side vents, or leaks from the tailgate. Are there water stains on your load cover?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 17 Jan 2013, 18:07 #8