Overhauling Rear Suspension Question by carlpenn

carlpenn
I am looking at giving the Rear suspension an overhaul, I need a new offside ROad Spring, so figured whilst it is off, I will replace any Bushes that I can get to, in order to improve rear end comfort and handling.

Are there any uprated bush Kits available that anyone has used for the Tourer or is it a case of buy from Rimmers?

Also, which Bushes need changing? Should I do all of them including the ones on the Trailing Arms? (I looked at Rimmers breakdowns to find what Bushes where attached on the rear suspension components)

The Back end of the Tourer does feel sloppy and seeing as it has a Towbar, I can only assume it has been used to Tow stuff, therefore Bushwear will be evident, though I haven't had chance to pop it up and check yet.

Any help is appreciated as always :D
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 11 Jan 2012, 08:55 #1 

PaulT
Difficult to find now but the self levelling shocks and correct springs, which are available on eBay, make the car far better for towing.

Do not know how many miles your car has done but I have found that the original bushes last far longer than replacement ones. As an example, original o/s front wishbone bush replaced at 150k and needed replacing again at 210k. Original n/s/ front wishbone bush replaced at 200k.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 11 Jan 2012, 09:28 #2 

carlpenn
Hiya Paul, Car has done 162k - Not too sure if it is the Bushes but I figured changing them wouldn't hurt, I know the Offside Coil Spring has broken at the classic place, at the bottom. The Car clunks when going over bumps, from the rear, but not 100% whether that is the Spring or something else :( Will need to investigate more, Weather has not been on my side lately, with all the Rain.
Upgrades:

Posted 11 Jan 2012, 10:54 #3 

PaulT
The instructions for replacing the rear springs say to undo bolts at the inner end. One of mine was not too kenn so I pulled down on the arm and used a lever to pop the spring out. Then used the same method on the otherside with success, so far easier and quicker.

Duncan probably knows but sometimes on suspension you will need a press for the bushes - I have used a large nut and bolt and socket in the past to fit bushes when really a press was needed
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 11 Jan 2012, 11:49 #4 

Duncan
Never done the bushes myself, though I did get an advisory on my saloon this year.

When I replaced the springs I didn't feel the need to change the bushes as they looked fine, three years ago.

I would have thought a press is needed, but they are available from machine mart if you are feeling wealthy.

Posted 11 Jan 2012, 12:54 #5 

carlpenn
Thanks Duncan / PaulT, I will just replace the Springs for now then, MOT is due in July so see what happens there, it may be the Spring causing the Clunking noise I suppose as it rubs against the break over bumps?. I am sticking the 16" Unions back on as they are wider than the Crowns I have fitted, so see if that alters the feel of the rear end too, Just vacumed and washed the Car, thats all I am doing today :p
Upgrades:

Posted 11 Jan 2012, 13:35 #6