Outstanding Problems 1998 2.0 V6 by Gate Keeper

Gate Keeper
My car is a 1998 2.0 V6 Conn. It is the one in the avatar and it has the following problems and I am looking for hands on mechanical help. What do you think?

1. Vis motors are not working. I tried to take them out but got stuck.
2. Water ingress in the boot.
3. Surface rust around the jack rubbers and rear suspension.
4. Slow oil engine leak reportedly it is from the rocker cover. I had PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) and breather tubes unblocked and done last August.
5. The headlamp washers (OEM xenons and powered headlamp washers retro fitted last year by a trader) The lights work and the washers not.
6. The handbrake comes up high and needs replacement.

The water ingress and rust problems I can sort out myself, but I do need help with the other problems. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get help to take out the Vis motors so that I can send them to Dave, find the oil leak once and for all, carry out repairs and make good. :) Get the powered headlamp washers working? I read Raistlins full account on the OC on his retro power washers installation. It was very helpful and I conclude the problem could be the pump. If not, I will need someone to help who knows what they are doing. I do not know about the handbrake modification. I could leave it until the summer and follow the instructions and photos which Arctic has put up and do the job myself.

Please help!

Posted 04 Mar 2013, 08:25 #1 

Last edited by Gate Keeper on 05 Mar 2013, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Monkey
The washer pump could be blocked up with gunk. Might be worth cleaning it out and applying 12v to the motor to see if you can get it to life. On the car it only operates once in five operations of the screen wash. When we did Swordy's car last year we got a bit wet :)

Posted 04 Mar 2013, 11:01 #2 

Gate Keeper
David thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I bought a second pump from Tam R.I.P last year and it was tested outside of the car by a garage in St. Albans. Tams pump worked but the rest of the system was found not to be working, even though Brian had enabled it. Maybe it is an electrical fault waiting to be found. I do know it was not opened up but I ran out of time and had to leave the UK before any more repairs or tests could be carried out. I am inclined to be a pessimist these days with the old V6 as I have the thinking that no one can help me. It is not a question of not being able to pay for the repairs that are needed. I will gladly pay in one way or another. Some people I know will do work on our cars just for the love of it and being the only ones who have been able to solve the impossible. I have respect for both ideologies - that one and the one where cash is king!

I do prattle on sometimes and I should not. I do apologise. Thanks for your advice and those tips about getting wet :) I will have a look for gunk, to clean it out anyway and then try and track down the fault.

Any more help guys on the other problems... the oil leak, the handbrake, the Vis. Maybe too much to ask for

Posted 04 Mar 2013, 16:58 #3 

Duncan
Did you fit the extra relay under the glovebox? I know of one member who had it fitted and enabled by someone, but they hadn't added the relay. Unfortunately we still didn't fix it as the pump was had it.

Posted 04 Mar 2013, 19:50 #4 

Gate Keeper
I think Marina Brian checked for the relay. I will double check when I am back in London next week.

Posted 05 Mar 2013, 08:41 #5 

Gate Keeper
I realise if I was to visit the Wolverhampton Nano meets, some of my problems could be sorted. I have not been able to and still cannot for various reasons. Even though I do not visit this forum much, last year around this time I made a substantial donation to this club for the good work it does on-line and off. Thanks Duncan for getting back to me.

Posted 05 Mar 2013, 08:56 #6 

JakeWilson
Considering you've the uprated BMW components in the back of the car, I would make the water leak a top priority Phil. I can't remember if LJW has a sunroof, however, when fitting the highline to it, I do recall that there was at least one clip that holds the chrome side trims that was loose that we pointed out.

If you're not sorted by the time you're next in the UK, I'll try to arrange something with you.

Posted 05 Mar 2013, 19:21 #7 

Gate Keeper
It does have a sunroof and the boot problem was emailed to me recently. I am back next Sunday. Thanks for the alert Jake. I will be in touch.

Posted 05 Mar 2013, 21:18 #8 

Gate Keeper
JakeWilson wrote:Considering you've the uprated BMW components in the back of the car, I would make the water leak a top priority Phil. I can't remember if LJW has a sunroof, however, when fitting the highline to it, I do recall that there was at least one clip that holds the chrome side trims that was loose that we pointed out.

If you're not sorted by the time you're next in the UK, I'll try to arrange something with you.

If the water is tracking back from the E/S then the seal at the top, what do you the call it the fibre one, has worn through. Jake can you please advise me if they are they difficult to replace? Thanks

Posted 06 Mar 2013, 11:39 #9 

Gate Keeper
Someone kind and thoughtful member wrote to me about what goes on at the nano meets and he suggested that I should drop in by and then some of my problems could be sorted out. I reckon I will have to follow up on his advice. Many thanks Sir :)

Posted 07 Mar 2013, 20:28 #10 

Duncan
You would certainly be welcome at a Midlands meet. Next one is soon, although only a single day. Did you get sent the link to our website?

Posted 07 Mar 2013, 20:37 #11 

Gate Keeper
Thanks for that Duncan. The member had the link in his signature. I have been put down for the Halfway House meet on the 24th March but will think again about that. I have not seen the car for 6 months. All of those problems were there last time I saw it, except for the new boot water issue.
All the best

Phil

Posted 08 Mar 2013, 07:36 #12 

Gate Keeper
I did the side air vents, side chrome trim and rear light cluster seals yesterday with clear silicone. A friend helped. Today will check out sunroof and if there is time have another go at replacing the VIS (Variable Intake System). Tomorrow I am swapping over the p/w pump and doing oil leak from the rear cam seal. That is the plan, weather permitting. Not had time to do the rust. The nav drive Jake you asked about looked good and was above the water tracking line. I bought a spare full power headlamp washer system from Vindaloo and picked it up at a meet from him. I now have 3 sets. Surely one of them will work. Hum. One can never have enough spares I guess and Sean Car is sending a Bbus feed, no charge :) should arrive today or tomorrow. I decided against negativity and to crack on! Thanks everyone for your ideas, suggestions and tolerance. Cheques are in the post :)
All the best

Phil

Posted 20 Mar 2013, 09:34 #13 

Gate Keeper
The oil leak has now been sorted at an MG garage. It was the rocker cover and the cam seal. I managed to find the plastic 16mm connectors from Halfords and the plumbers spring from B&Q as suggested by Arctic yesterday elsewhere - many thanks for your help re: boot leak. Still to do powered headlamp washers. The garage who did the rocker cover and cam seal tried to find the p/w issue yesterday with no luck. They think it is a wiring problem, another idea but will run with it for now in case it is that, but ran out of time as they had to close at 1 pm and the weather was bad. They are determined as I am to get it resolved, so I have booked it in for Wed. If there is no black ice today, I am going to a local meet at Halfway House in Essex. A member there will finish the BMW head unit job by adding on the free-view dvb tuner:) The rust patch will have to wait until I am back in the UK in July for the summer. I leave on Sunday. Many thanks for your support and help. Much appreciated.
All the best

Phil

Posted 24 Mar 2013, 08:32 #14