Older drivers by Peter

Peter
If you are getting on a bit, don't worry. Older drivers are not as doddery as people sometimes make out. Here's proof:-
(from the Washington Post)
"Here is the stereotype: White-haired senior driver poking nervously along the highway, frustrating younger drivers in a rush to get past.
Here was the concern: Experts predicted crash rates would soar as America grew older.

Here's the reality: Older people are driving more, crashing less and their fatal accident rate has dropped by 37 percent.

The biggest drop of all -- 47 percent -- came among drivers over the age of 80.

This all emerged in a study released Tuesday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety."

For more information:-
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/21/AR2010062104985.html

This is an American study, but there's no reason why it should not apply equally to British drivers, or elsewhere. I find it interesting that, once again, so-called experts got it completely wrong. Safer vehicles, safer roads, more seatbelt use and fewer drunken drivers - yes, but all those improvements do not account for the marked reductions for us oldies.

Posted 23 Jun 2010, 15:24 #1 

Zeb
Food for thought Peter.....and welcome to the club.. :thumbsup:
A very nice, rare machine you have there....not based in Lincoln are you?

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 08:31 #2 

Peter
Lincoln would be nice, but sadly I'm stuck in Essex (Brentwood). At least I do have a nice car to escape in - when I can afford it! Please note that I'm not a real Essex boy. I came here for the work many years ago, all the way from my home town of Plymouth, and I'm just too old and lazy (and short of funds) to move to a more interesting bit of the country.

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 13:40 #3 

VMax1000
Interesting article.
Doesn't say how many younger drivers have died trying to avoid a collision with an unexpected slow moving (older) obstruction on the motorway :oops:

:gmc:
Herman

http://www.two-sixties.com

Luck is tenacity of purpose

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 14:29 #4 

James.uk
And howfor does Zeb know what sort of car pete has? Pete has put no info about it on his profile fingy on the right? :confused:

With ref to the thread topic, it's gonna be long time before my driving improves then.. :roll: :em:

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 19:44 #5 

Zeb
James.uk wrote:And howfor does Zeb know what sort of car pete has? Pete has put no info about it on his profile fingy on the right? :confused:

With ref to the thread topic, it's gonna be long time before my driving improves then.. :roll: :em:

I clicked on his name... ;)

By my estimate your driving should start to improve in about a fortnight James... :lol: :o :? :scared:

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 19:54 #6 

James.uk
Awwww. :hissyfit: This forum has no "TWONKING on the head" smiley.. And Zeb really does qualify for one!!! Cheeky blighter! :shock: :P

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 20:36 #7 

Peter
VMax1000 wrote:Interesting article.
Doesn't say how many younger drivers have died trying to avoid a collision with an unexpected slow moving (older) obstruction on the motorway :oops:

:gmc:

You've summed up the problem with younger drivers with that one word - "unexpected". Older drivers don't do unexpected. Their experience tells them to anticipate potential problems and to drive defensively. I was lucky those many years ago. My driving instructor turned out to be the retired chief police driving instructor for the county, and he taught me well. I'm still not perfect by any means, and I do recognise that I need to keep on learning.
As for " slow moving (older) obstructions" - I happen to have a V8 engine under that sedate Rover bonnet. I don't always drive fast, but I can and do avoid being an obstruction.

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 13:39 #8 

RRobson
Peter wrote:
You've summed up the problem with younger drivers with that one word - "unexpected".

what about us younger advanced drivers? some of us have taken the time to become more aware, amd now dont do unexpected :mrgreen:
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 22:14 #9 

James.uk
I think some older drivers with many many years experience of driving on our roads develop a system of recognising iffy situations as they build up and take the necessary steps to avoid the problem even before it arises.. :)

But people make mistakes and mental aberrations do happen, we all have to be carefull out there and 100% alert at all times in order to keep ourselves and others safe on the roads.. :)

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 23:00 #10 

Peter
RRobson wrote:
what about us younger advanced drivers? some of us have taken the time to become more aware, amd now dont do unexpected :mrgreen:

Well done, Reece. That's what I like to hear. But don't forget to keep learning. I've been driving for well over 50 years and I still learn something each time I drive.

I know I was generalising and that there are good and bad drivers of all ages. My reason for starting this thread was because there is talk of introducing retests for over 60 drivers. Those who suggest the idea are like those American "experts" - they blithely assume older drivers are becoming ever more senile. They've now been proven wrong, but mere facts never seem to make such zealots do a re-think.
There are many problems with the oldie retest idea even apart from the completely unnecessary expense. One problem is that some zealot testers will fail people without just cause merely because they assume they are right about the supposed senility. Another is that some other zealot testers will use the process to fail people and take them off the road to "save the planet" in the misbegotten belief that man-made global warming is a problem, which it most definitely ain't.
Taking some of the safest drivers off the road won't save the planet, or anything else. It's more likely to put the accident rate up, but holier-than-thou zealots never think through the consequences of their mistaken beliefs.

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 00:38 #11 

JohnDotCom
As well as having my advanced drivers UK licence/test, ex Police Class 1 driver etc
I recently had to take my US Drivers Licence tests, now they are not as easy as the tests here I found.
Driving is always a continuing learning program regardless of age,
watching out for the unexpected, new road signs and markings.
Many don't buy a new copy of Highway code when it comes out let alone actually read it.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 12:10 #12